Anybody good with batteries?

Ok, I want a battery for when we go off grid camping. I know I need a deep cycle but the AH and stuff I don't understand.
I will be hooking up a power inverter to it(with alligator clamps) to charge laptop, phones, speakers small stuff like that. I also have a 35 watt portable air conditioner I will be having on all night.
Will be used 2 or 3 nights at a time.
What will last the whole time?
Willing to spend up to 300.
Wow. Young people "off grid" a lot different than we used to. Pitch a tent, ring a fire pit with stones, dig a latrine hole and cover it with a piece of plywood. Morning ablutions in the river. For special moments after everyone is super stoned, turn on the car and listen to music on the stereo for awhile.

laptops, ac, phones?

What must the bears think?

Ok, I want a battery for when we go off grid camping. I know I need a deep cycle but the AH and stuff I don't understand.
I will be hooking up a power inverter to it(with alligator clamps) to charge laptop, phones, speakers small stuff like that. I also have a 35 watt portable air conditioner I will be having on all night.
Wow. Young people "off grid" a lot different than we used to. Pitch a tent, ring a fire pit with stones, dig a latrine hole and cover it with a piece of plywood. Morning ablutions in the river. For special moments after everyone is super stoned, turn on the car and listen to music on the stereo for awhile.

laptops, ac, phones?

Lol thats I have been doing for years. I felt it was time to upgrade.
Have you ever tried to sleep on a TN summer night with 80 percent humidity? Lol

laptops, ac, phones?

“There’s no electricity in camping!”

How about i call it "boondocking" instead? Is that better? :D
Damn boomers

Just go with the gas/multi-fuel generator. Most of us are going to end up bankrupted by the HMO industry in our old age anyway, no matter how much you think you've saved, so why worry?

I've been overlanding enough in BFE that my deep cycle marine battery just doesn't cut it without my Honda 2200 amp generator to keep it charged (about 45 min./day).

I don't know but one of these would be handy.

81VIhf3TBXL._AC_SX569_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/POWOXI-Upgraded-20W-Solar-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Controller-Solar-Panel-Motorcycle/dp/B07TY3HGF7/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?crid=44TJCPX9UCJU&keywords=12v+solar+battery+charger&qid=1582056150&sprefix=12v+soalr,aps,223&sr=8-12-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSFlFSEE2NEc0WktUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzY2NTY0MlVQSkU1QVpCUjUzOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzE2ODgzMTRZWjFZRFFZQjJSSiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
A 20 watt panel would take forever to charge a battery, wouldnt it?
It would take a while but I used one on a three day canoe trip and using a battery on a trolling motor it kept it going all three days. it just helps is all.
Just to clarify this, we didn't run the motor every moment we were on the river and we usually got on the water by 9 am so it charged from dawn until then and we would stop and camp before dark so it charged from then until dark.

This thread is not inclusive enough ....you'll need more women's and gay men's opinions

personalmassager2.jpg

you've been reported to the local cultural diversity response team

As was mentioned you need to add up the usage of everything.
That being said six volt golf cart batteries give you the most run time.
Two of them are very heavy. Never allow any battery to get below half.
If you discharge them too much it breaks down the ability of the battery to hold a charge.
If you only want one battery a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery is the next best.
AGM and other types are good but they get expensive in a hurry and really do not carry much more amp hours

My RV came equipped with solar panels and 4 Lifeline deep cycle house batteries...when I go camping unplugged I use my computer and air conditioner along with my TV without giving it a second thought for a 4 or 5 day boon docking camp out...I have 4 solar panels and I think they are 350 watts each...not sure...I can see my lifeline batteries getting weaker as they age but they still work great for me...the battle born batteries are on my wish list...but $900 each is a hefty price...maybe I'll buy one at a time and store them until I have all four and then put them in...

laptops, ac, phones?

Lol thats I have been doing for years. I felt it was time to upgrade.
Have you ever tried to sleep on a TN summer night with 80 percent humidity? Lol
I don't blame you, TN. I don't camp much anymore, but if I do, the Mr. Coffee comes with me and if there's no electric plug on our site I hump it over to the shower room and make the coffee there. Off grid adventures are in my past.
It takes too long to start a wood fire and get coffee made, especially if it's wet out. I am extremely grumpy until I have my coffee. No sense in suffering, I say.

I've been overlanding enough in BFE that my deep cycle marine battery just doesn't cut it without my Honda 2200 amp generator to keep it charged (about 45 min./day).
What all do you use the battery for

Let's take you most major amp draw. Your 35AH AC. You are going to need to multiply the 35 by the number of hours you are going to have it on during the night plus the number of days. Now add in your Laptop, Speakers and the like. I am just guessing.

35 x 8 x 3 = 840
Your Laptop is going to take about 20 AH
Your Speakers are going to take about 20 ah
Your Phone is going take about 5 ah

Now, let's add this all together.

You are going to need 885 AHs minimum. Now let's add a 20% buffer to that. That means you are going to need about a 1062 AH.

Now the bad news. A 1200 AH Deep cell is rated at 20 hours for 1200 and only 862 at 5 hours. You are going to need two of them to really make sure you have enough power with reserves. I found one that would do the job but get ready for the price. And remember, you are going to need two of these. One thing you might consider is to have one and have a gas powered generator as well.

CROWN-1 2V 1200Ah (2,400Wh) AGM Sealed Deep-Cycle Battery
$479.95

Or you can have a gas powered generator of sufficient run time and power output to handle it alone. Either way, you are going to be nearing 1000 bucks.

What all do you use the battery for

A/C, water pumps, TV, Radio & interior/exterior lighting. Only the A/C is a real draw on the battery. Refrigerator, range/stove and heat are on propane.

Let's take you most major amp draw. Your 35AH AC. You are going to need to multiply the 35 by the number of hours you are going to have it on during the night plus the number of days. Now add in your Laptop, Speakers and the like. I am just guessing.

35 x 8 x 3 = 840
Your Laptop is going to take about 20 AH
Your Speakers are going to take about 20 ah
Your Phone is going take about 5 ah

Now, let's add this all together.

You are going to need 885 AHs minimum. Now let's add a 20% buffer to that. That means you are going to need about a 1062 AH.

Now the bad news. A 1200 AH Deep cell is rated at 20 hours for 1200 and only 862 at 5 hours. You are going to need two of them to really make sure you have enough power with reserves. I found one that would do the job but get ready for the price. And remember, you are going to need two of these. One thing you might consider is to have one and have a gas powered generator as well.

CROWN-1 2V 1200Ah (2,400Wh) AGM Sealed Deep-Cycle Battery
$479.95

Or you can have a gas powered generator of sufficient run time and power output to handle it alone. Either way, you are going to be nearing 1000 bucks.

At least. I've got probably more like $3000 into my setup.

You need to just ditch the A/C and tough out those horrid 67 degree Tennessee nights TNH.

Problem solved. Thank me later.

Forum List

Back