Anybody ever have a pet spider?

no, but I did have a pet Dragon lizard.

1630884793756.png

Greg

My buddy had one when I was a kid. When it got nervous it would pluck hairs off its ass and fling em at you. We messed with that thing so much it had a bald spot.

Then there's the bee lady. I have a large water dish outside for the passing wildlife. Often I find bees, wasps and hornets struggling in the water. I've learned they will let me reach in and lift them out of the water. They've never stung me doing this. They seem to understand I mean them no harm. Intelligence in the insect world

My buddy had one when I was a kid. When it got nervous it would pluck hairs off its ass and fling em at you. We messed with that thing so much it had a bald spot.
Karma can be a biotch....just think you might have sealed your fate somewhere beyond this lifetime...hard to know but I'm all about fair play and fair outcomes;) Yeah...I gave myself away as an animal lover, and mostly hater of losers who abuse animals...yep even the reptiles dude.

You do have good jokes some times, but with the other additives to your displayed persona they lose points. Am I your judge? Nope. Just stating my opinion since you've done something only losers usually do.

Then there's the bee lady. I have a large water dish outside for the passing wildlife. Often I find bees, wasps and hornets struggling in the water. I've learned they will let me reach in and lift them out of the water. They've never stung me doing this. They seem to understand I mean them no harm. Intelligence in the insect world

Yikes. Now comparatively speaking, I'd choose a pet rock over a pet bee. Considering I don't have the best luck, I can hear the guy at the pet shop "But really! You're the first to come back to say it stung you!"

Yikes. Now comparatively speaking, I'd choose a pet rock over a pet bee. Considering I don't have the best luck, I can hear the guy at the pet shop "But really! You're the first to come back to say it stung you!"
I dont kill ANYTHING anymore. I'm seeing intelligence and unique personality in every living creature. We have an amazing God

Hes not a pet, but I've gone all summer without opening a bedroom window because a large spider built a nest in there. I guess I have to wait until the harsh winter before I can do anything. I assume they live weeks, and not years.

The first time I read your post I read it that you plucked off its hairs so my first impression was a little overboard but....I still stick with the gist of it since I had it right you messed with it to make it respond in that way. I can see young boys doing that. Hopefully, you were young lol

Karma can be a biotch....just think you might have sealed your fate somewhere beyond this lifetime...hard to know but I'm all about fair play and fair outcomes;) Yeah...I gave myself away as an animal lover, and mostly hater of losers who abuse animals...yep even the reptiles dude.

You do have good jokes some times, but with the other additives to your displayed persona they lose points. Am I your judge? Nope. Just stating my opinion since you've done something only losers usually do.
Oh, I can top that.

I once bug bombed the sewer in my housing area...thousands of roaches poured into the streets, came up through peoples drains in homes adjacent to our tower. There were hundreds of roaches flying everywhere...death as far as the eye could see...the entire parking lot covered with hundreds and hundreds of dead roaches.

That was crazy...

My per Dragon lizard loved going for walks sitting on my shoulder. Jap tourists took photos but I never saw them. When startled it climbed up onto my head; no scratches or anything. I was about ten yo. I put him out the back yard until one day it was gone...............probably went to where there was dog food.

Greg

This lady is a lunatic.

No, but I wouldn't mind having a pet spider someday as I like them. That bee video was really cute btw. :)

This video almost makes this creature "cute." She thinks it is. And it does display intelligence.

View attachment 535493

I went through a phase where I had tarantulas as pets. Started with one that I caught in the wild, and then after that, a series of them bought from pet stores.

Very interesting creatures, actually. In some ways, on observing them, one cannot help being reminded of cats. The way they hunt, the way they groom themselves, and so on.

But I kept winding up with male tarantulas, that are very short-lived. Too much time, money, and attention, to pets that didn't live long enough to be worth it. It's nearly impossible to tell a male from a female, until the point at which a male reaches his last molt. At that point, hooks appear on his frontmost pair of legs, and from there, he doesn't have much time left to live. His only purpose in life, at that point, is to try to find a compatible lady tarantula with which to mate, before he dies.

The spiders shown in the video in the OP are jumping spiders, of the order Phiddipus. I have no experience with trying to keep them as pets; but I agree that they are quite cute. I've had a few occasions to catch them in the wild, and photograph them before setting them loose again.

ZSC_9861sq1200.jpg

Then there are the Pholcus spiders — very elegant-looking creatures.

ZSC_7933n.jpg

Not sure what kind of spider this critter is. I spotted it on my hand, as I was trying (without much success) to get a good picture of an immature Latrodectus Hesperus, or Western Black Widow

ZSC_9987n.jpg
ZSC_9987_5x4n.jpg

Here, from another shoot on another occasion, is an immature Latrodectus Hesperus. Females, as they get older, turn black, and all the markings fade except the iconic red hourglass mark on the underside of the abdomen. They also get quiet a bit bigger. Males retain this coloration and marking, and don't get nearly as big.

ZSC_9979_4x5n.jpg

Here's a mature female Latrodectus Hesperus. Their reputation is much worse than their reality. Though very painful, their bite rarely causes any lasting harm to humans. Also, the sexual cannibalism in which they are reputed to engage is actually quiet rare. In reality, males usually survive any given mating, and often go on to mate again and again.

ZSC_8968_2000x1600.jpg

Last edited:
I went through a phase where I had tarantulas as pets. Started with one that I caught in the wild, and then after that, a series of them bought from pet stores.

Very interesting creatures, actually. In some ways, on observing them, one cannot help being reminded of cats. The way they hunt, the way they groom themselves, and so on.

But I kept winding up with male tarantulas, that are very short-lived. Too much time, money, and attention, to pets that didn't live long enough to be worth it. It's nearly impossible to tell a male from a female, until the point at which a male reaches his last molt. At that point, hooks appear on his frontmost pair of legs, and from there, he doesn't have much time left to live. His only purpose in life, at that point, is to try to find a compatible lady tarantula with which to mate, before he dies.

The spiders shown in the video in the OP are jumping spiders, of the order Phiddipus. I have no experience with trying to keep them as pets; but I agree that they are quite cute. I've had a few occasions to catch them in the wild, and photograph them before setting them loose again.

View attachment 535540

Then there are the Pholcus spiders — very elegant-looking creatures.

View attachment 535541

Not sure what kind of spider this critter is. I spotted it on my hand, as I was trying (without much success) to get a good picture of an immature Latrodectus Hesperus, or Western Black Widow

View attachment 535542View attachment 535543

Here, from another shoot on another occasion, is an immature Latrodectus Hesperus. Females, as they get older, turn black, and all the markings fade except the iconic red hourglass mark on the underside of the abdomen. They also get quiet a bit bigger. Males retain this coloration and marking, and don't get nearly as big.

View attachment 535544

Here's a mature Latrodectus Hesperus. Their reputation is much worse than their reality. Though very painful, their bite rarely causes any lasting harm to humans. Also, the sexual cannibalism in which they are reputed to engage is actually quiet rare. In reality, males usually survive any given mating, and often go on to mate again and again.

View attachment 535549
Thanks. I wondered what kind of spider hers was. Never seen one like that in real life.

I thought tarantulas lived a long time, like 30 years

Spiders are my one phobia.
Son had one and I wouldn't go near that disgusting thing.
Something with that many legs shouldn't be able to move that fast without tripping. Shit, i can't even handle two legs.

Forum List

Back