I'll tax the street
(If you try to sit, sit)
I'll tax your seat
(If you get too cold, cold)
I'll tax the heat
(If you take a walk, walk)
I'll tax your feet
Taxman!

Colorado House Bill 24-1163 aims to impose a tax of up to $8.50 on every pet in the state, including invertebrates, with the tax being payable annually.

Not only does this bill require pet owners to register their pets with the state, but it also mandates the assignment of a “designated caregiver” for each pet. Failure to name a caregiver would result in an annual cost of $25 per pet.

There is no limit or cap on the taxation, meaning that pet owners could potentially face exorbitant costs. This tax would be in addition to any local taxes, such as dog licenses, further burdening pet owners.

The absurdity of this proposal becomes evident when considering the implications for pet owners with a larger number of pets.

For instance, someone with 100 aquarium fish could end up paying $850 every year. And if they fail to register a designated caregiver, the cost for those 100 fish would skyrocket to $2,500 annually. Similarly, owning ten pet reptiles could result in an annual tax of $85 to $250.

Failing to register one’s pets could lead to penalties of up to $100 per animal, which could quickly escalate into thousands of dollars for unsuspecting pet owners.

Got 100 Goldfish?

That’ll be $850 a year.

(If you drive a car, car)
I'll tax the street
(If you try to sit, sit)
I'll tax your seat
I'll tax the heat
I'll tax your feet
Taxman!

Colorado House Bill 24-1163 aims to impose a tax of up to $8.50 on every pet in the state, including invertebrates, with the tax being payable annually.

Not only does this bill require pet owners to register their pets with the state, but it also mandates the assignment of a “designated caregiver” for each pet. Failure to name a caregiver would result in an annual cost of $25 per pet.

There is no limit or cap on the taxation, meaning that pet owners could potentially face exorbitant costs. This tax would be in addition to any local taxes, such as dog licenses, further burdening pet owners.

The absurdity of this proposal becomes evident when considering the implications for pet owners with a larger number of pets.

For instance, someone with 100 aquarium fish could end up paying $850 every year. And if they fail to register a designated caregiver, the cost for those 100 fish would skyrocket to $2,500 annually. Similarly, owning ten pet reptiles could result in an annual tax of $85 to $250.

Failing to register one’s pets could lead to penalties of up to $100 per animal, which could quickly escalate into thousands of dollars for unsuspecting pet owners.

Then all you need is for a nosy neighbor to report the feral cat and her dozen kittens that chose your shed as its home as your unregistered pets.

Got 100 Goldfish?

That’ll be $850 a year.

(If you drive a car, car)
I'll tax the street
(If you try to sit, sit)
I'll tax your seat
I'll tax the heat
I'll tax your feet
Taxman!

Now if they tax wildlife then I say they are really on to something.

I suspect it will get a solid FU out in the hinterlands....Then they will make vets report if you have a pet and folks won't take sick "pre-tax" pets to the vet.....All animal shelters will have to become kill shelters....And on and on.

Meh, deserves has everything to do with it.....Elect leftists.....Get leftist things.

I suspect it will get a solid FU out in the hinterlands....Then they will make vets report if you have a pet and folks won't take sick "pre-tax" pets to the vet.....All animal shelters will have to become kill shelters....And on and on.

Meh, deserves has everything to do with it.....Elect leftists.....Get leftist things.
They are not well-known for thinking things all the way through.

This may not pass. Today. It’s always about expanding the envelope. Things that were absurd and ridiculed 20 years ago are standard practice today.

Forum List

Back