Any Tour de France watchers?

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
I'm excited that I'll be able to watch 21 stages of this race, I haven't missed watching it for almost 20 years. I wished they only had one time trial, this year two (5 and 20) and last year only had one, they saved the time trial stage for stage 20, when it can sink the leader if he does poorly in the TT. It happened last year. Also, the team time trial was always a joke, looks like they've dumped it. Really hard to say who will win it this year, whatever team Sky changed to (Ineos?) will likely be in contention at the end, as they always seem to be.

The Tour De France has a long tradition of doping:

"From 1998 to 2012, about 44 percent of the top 10 finishers of the Tour de France were using PEDs at the time." PEDs - (Performance Enhancing Drugs).

The doping problem is so bad that even The Onion had to make fun of the race:

I'm excited that I'll be able to watch 21 stages of this race, I haven't missed watching it for almost 20 years. I wished they only had one time trial, this year two (5 and 20) and last year only had one, they saved the time trial stage for stage 20, when it can sink the leader if he does poorly in the TT. It happened last year. Also, the team time trial was always a joke, looks like they've dumped it. Really hard to say who will win it this year, whatever team Sky changed to (Ineos?) will likely be in contention at the end, as they always seem to be.

1624312782297.png

View attachment 504101

Now if it was full contact where they run each other off the road and use weapons.

That would be worth watching.

Strikes me as not such a great SPECTATOR sport. I enjoy biking immensely but wouldn't waste more than a minute or two watching the TdF, if the outcome is in question at the end.

"From 1998 to 2012, about 44 percent of the top 10 finishers of the Tour de France were using PEDs at the time." PEDs - (Performance Enhancing Drugs).

Meh.

Strikes me as not such a great SPECTATOR sport. I enjoy biking immensely but wouldn't waste more than a minute or two watching the TdF, if the outcome is in question at the end.

What these cyclists achieve are super human. Furthermore, the beauty is France is impossible to describe, one must see it for themselves. Extraordinary.

If one does not know who any of the cyclists are, it would not be interesting, but if you've watched these guys for years, you are rooting for some of them to do well. Team Quickstep is probably the most talented team in the race, if not in the world.

What these cyclists achieve are super human. Furthermore, the beauty is France is impossible to describe, one must see it for themselves. Extraordinary.

If one does not know who any of the cyclists are, it would not be interesting, but if you've watched these guys for years, you are rooting for some of them to do well. Team Quickstep is probably the most talented team in the race, if not in the world.

The Germans sure loved the beauty of France

The French drug tour. PEDs can give you super human power, is the message of the race.

Everybody loves the beauty of the country and architecture but usually can't stand the French.

De Gaulle once said:

"I have tried to lift France out of the mud. But she will return to her errors and vomitings. I cannot prevent the French from being French."

Truer words have never been spoken.

You mean the 'Tour De Pharmacy'?

Everybody loves the beauty of the country and architecture but usually can't stand the French.

De Gaulle once said:

"I have tried to lift France out of the mud. But she will return to her errors and vomitings. I cannot prevent the French from being French."

Brings to mind....

1624368633256.png

It's the sport of professional cycling in general. It's the sport that gives the biggest boost to people who dope as it is pure endurance.

De Gaulle once said:

I found the French to be much nicer to Americans recently due to another tourist group being far more annoying.

People from Mainland China.

De Gaulle once said:

I found the French to be much nicer to Americans recently due to another tourist group being far more annoying.

The Chinese have been replacing Americans as the "ugly tourist" in recent years. They tend to be brash and loud, which once what we were accused of being when abroad. Americans are much more respectful than they once were but we are now criticized for dressing inappropriately and far too often being obese.

De Gaulle once said:

The Chinese have been replacing Americans as the "ugly tourist" in recent years. They tend to be brash and loud, which once what we were accused of being when abroad. Americans are much more respectful than they once were but we are now criticized for dressing inappropriately and far too often being obese.

I saw it in 2015 in France. Most French understand at least a little English, but not many understand Mandarin or Cantonese.

De Gaulle once said:

I saw it in 2015 in France. Most French understand at least a little English, but not many understand Mandarin or Cantonese.

It's actually funny how many French wish they were American. In the late 60's I remember seeing "Yankee Go Home" painted on walls in France and at the same time some of the most popular French music was written in homage to the U.S.. Sardou who is still massively popular in France wrote "Les Ricans" (linked with English subtitles), and Joe Dassin as well as others sang similarly positive songs regarding Americans.

The French envied our freedom, our individualism and the strength of our country. Which in part is why some were often gruff and defensive (even offensive). Envy can do that.

De Gaulle once said:

It's actually funny how many French wish they were American. In the late 60's I remember seeing "Yankee Go Home" painted on walls in France and at the same time some of the most popular French music was written in homage to the U.S.. Sardou who is still massively popular in France wrote "Les Ricans" (linked with English subtitles), and Joe Dassin as well as others sang similarly positive songs regarding Americans.

The French envied our freedom, our individualism and the strength of our country. Which in part is why some were often gruff and defensive (even offensive). Envy can do that.

I found everyone to be very friendly in 2015. Was in Canne, Lyon, Amiens, Bayeaux and Paris. Had a great time.

In the old days, at the end of every stage, the announcers would read the names of the riders who failed their drug test and would not be continuing the race. At the end of every single stage.

That never happens anymore. I remember when the rider from Rabobank was leading the race, and everyone knew he doped before the race because he missed his drug test. At the start of the stage, late in the race, many riders stayed back in protest until he has ridden a few miles. At the end of the stage, the entire team withdrew from the race. Those days are thankfully over.

Forum List

Back