Any Tour de France watchers?

Strikes me as not such a great SPECTATOR sport. I enjoy biking immensely but wouldn't waste more than a minute or two watching the TdF, if the outcome is in question at the end.

What these cyclists achieve are super human. Furthermore, the beauty is France is impossible to describe, one must see it for themselves. Extraordinary.

If one does not know who any of the cyclists are, it would not be interesting, but if you've watched these guys for years, you are rooting for some of them to do well. Team Quickstep is probably the most talented team in the race, if not in the world.

The Germans sure loved the beauty of France

Everybody loves the beauty of the country and architecture but usually can't stand the French.

De Gaulle once said:

"I have tried to lift France out of the mud. But she will return to her errors and vomitings. I cannot prevent the French from being French."

Truer words have never been spoken.

I found the French to be much nicer to Americans recently due to another tourist group being far more annoying.

People from Mainland China.

The Chinese have been replacing Americans as the "ugly tourist" in recent years. They tend to be brash and loud, which once what we were accused of being when abroad. Americans are much more respectful than they once were but we are now criticized for dressing inappropriately and far too often being obese.

I saw it in 2015 in France. Most French understand at least a little English, but not many understand Mandarin or Cantonese.

It's actually funny how many French wish they were American. In the late 60's I remember seeing "Yankee Go Home" painted on walls in France and at the same time some of the most popular French music was written in homage to the U.S.. Sardou who is still massively popular in France wrote "Les Ricans" (linked with English subtitles), and Joe Dassin as well as others sang similarly positive songs regarding Americans.

The French envied our freedom, our individualism and the strength of our country. Which in part is why some were often gruff and defensive (even offensive). Envy can do that.

I found everyone to be very friendly in 2015. Was in Canne, Lyon, Amiens, Bayeaux and Paris. Had a great time.

I have seen a change as well but it is true that the French earned their reputation for being a bit surly. I still travel there regularly and am only shocked by one thing, French culture is a thing of the past. What's replacing it hard to predict at this point but at least the architecture and natural beauty remains largely unchanged.

In the old days, at the end of every stage, the announcers would read the names of the riders who failed their drug test and would not be continuing the race. At the end of every single stage.

That never happens anymore. I remember when the rider from Rabobank was leading the race, and everyone knew he doped before the race because he missed his drug test. At the start of the stage, late in the race, many riders stayed back in protest until he has ridden a few miles. At the end of the stage, the entire team withdrew from the race. Those days are thankfully over.

The doping problem is on-going in the Tours de France. Doping is evolving and always trying to stay ahead of the testing techniques.

"“During that period [2016-2017], there were a number of prohibited substances that were not available on the regular pharmaceutical market and for which there were not yet optimal detection methods in the labs. These methods have since been improved," Peter Van Eenoo of the Ghent doping lab added."

"“I didn’t watch the Tour after the stage to Grand Colombier,” former yellow-jersey holder Stéphane Heulot told Ouest-France. “It makes me want to vomit.”"

"The 2020 Tour is seeing some of the ghosts of cycling’s doping past come back to haunt the sport. And the ongoing investigation into the Arkéa-Samsic team by French authorities this week has only stoked the fires of suspicion and doubt among some observers."

I'm excited that I'll be able to watch 21 stages of this race, I haven't missed watching it for almost 20 years. I wished they only had one time trial, this year two (5 and 20) and last year only had one, they saved the time trial stage for stage 20, when it can sink the leader if he does poorly in the TT. It happened last year. Also, the team time trial was always a joke, looks like they've dumped it. Really hard to say who will win it this year, whatever team Sky changed to (Ineos?) will likely be in contention at the end, as they always seem to be.

Lefties seem to love watching sweaty men pumping bikes up long hills after taking drugs.

LOL

I didn’t watch the Tour after the stage to Grand Colombier,” former yellow-jersey holder Stéphane Heulot told Ouest-France. “It makes me want to vomit.”"

They're going back the Grand Colombier, July 3rd, Stage 8.

Of course they're still doping, but not on the U.S. Postal team scale.

You said: "Those days are thankfully over", in reference to the the fact that you believe that doping had come to an end (post #20), and now you say: "Of course they're still doping".

I'm starting to question who the real DOPE is. You are definitely the guy with the yellow jersey at this point.

Strikes me as not such a great SPECTATOR sport. I enjoy biking immensely but wouldn't waste more than a minute or two watching the TdF, if the outcome is in question at the end.

What these cyclists achieve are super human. Furthermore, the beauty is France is impossible to describe, one must see it for themselves. Extraordinary.

If one does not know who any of the cyclists are, it would not be interesting, but if you've watched these guys for years, you are rooting for some of them to do well. Team Quickstep is probably the most talented team in the race, if not in the world.

The Germans sure loved the beauty of France

Everybody loves the beauty of the country and architecture but usually can't stand the French.

De Gaulle once said:

"I have tried to lift France out of the mud. But she will return to her errors and vomitings. I cannot prevent the French from being French."

Truer words have never been spoken.

I found the French to be much nicer to Americans recently due to another tourist group being far more annoying.

People from Mainland China.

The Chinese have been replacing Americans as the "ugly tourist" in recent years. They tend to be brash and loud, which once what we were accused of being when abroad. Americans are much more respectful than they once were but we are now criticized for dressing inappropriately and far too often being obese.

I saw it in 2015 in France. Most French understand at least a little English, but not many understand Mandarin or Cantonese.

It's actually funny how many French wish they were American. In the late 60's I remember seeing "Yankee Go Home" painted on walls in France and at the same time some of the most popular French music was written in homage to the U.S.. Sardou who is still massively popular in France wrote "Les Ricans" (linked with English subtitles), and Joe Dassin as well as others sang similarly positive songs regarding Americans.

The French envied our freedom, our individualism and the strength of our country. Which in part is why some were often gruff and defensive (even offensive). Envy can do that.

I found everyone to be very friendly in 2015. Was in Canne, Lyon, Amiens, Bayeaux and Paris. Had a great time.

I have seen a change as well but it is true that the French earned their reputation for being a bit surly. I still travel there regularly and am only shocked by one thing, French culture is a thing of the past. What's replacing it hard to predict at this point but at least the architecture and natural beauty remains largely unchanged.

If they weren't smug they wouldn't be French.

I didn’t watch the Tour after the stage to Grand Colombier,” former yellow-jersey holder Stéphane Heulot told Ouest-France. “It makes me want to vomit.”"

You said: "Those days are thankfully over", in reference to the the fact that you believe that doping had come to an end (post #20), and now you say: "Of course they're still doping".

I'm starting to question who the real DOPE is. You are definitely the guy with the yellow jersey at this point.

It's not my fault you lack any powers of perception or reasonable ability to understand what someone writes. If you think things are the same today as they were 20 years ago, you haven't been watching for long.

Dope.

I'm excited that I'll be able to watch 21 stages of this race, I haven't missed watching it for almost 20 years. I wished they only had one time trial, this year two (5 and 20) and last year only had one, they saved the time trial stage for stage 20, when it can sink the leader if he does poorly in the TT. It happened last year. Also, the team time trial was always a joke, looks like they've dumped it. Really hard to say who will win it this year, whatever team Sky changed to (Ineos?) will likely be in contention at the end, as they always seem to be.

Lefties seem to love watching sweaty men pumping bikes up long hills after taking drugs.

LOL
Rednecks like having sex with relatives, and end up with inbreds like you.

I see I hit a nerve pointing out your love of sweaty dudes with big thighs.

LOL!

LOL
Rednecks like having sex with relatives, and end up with inbreds like you.

I see I hit a nerve pointing out your love of sweaty dudes with big thighs.

LOL!
I like to ride myself. When was the last time you parked your fat ass on a bike seat?

It's not my fault you lack any powers of perception or reasonable ability to understand what someone writes. If you think things are the same today as they were 20 years ago, you haven't been watching for long.

Dope.

You implied that the last doping scandal on the Tour De France was on the Rabobank team. Rabobank was accused of doping for the last time in 2012. That same year they pulled out of cycling. 2012 was not 20 years ago. You are just too fking funny.

As a doper it's understandable that you'd like the Tours De France. 20 years ago....man your brain is fried.

The 2020 Tours De France - Just last year!!!- same shit, nothing changes:

when I can

You implied that the last doping scandal on the Tour De France was on the Rabobank team. Rabobank was accused of doping for the last time in 2012. That same year they pulled out of cycling. 2012 was not 20 years ago. You are just too fking funny.

I implied no such thing. You're a dope.

I implied no such thing. You're a dope.
That never happens anymore. I remember when the rider from Rabobank was leading the race, and everyone knew he doped before the race because he missed his drug test. At the start of the stage, late in the race, many riders stayed back in protest until he has ridden a few miles. At the end of the stage, the entire team withdrew from the race. Those days are thankfully over.

"Those days are thankfully over" You are just too fking funny.

Some major crashes today. First, Tony Martin hits a spectator sign that causes a pile up, now another on a straightaway.

Some major crashes today. First, Tony Martin hits a spectator sign that causes a pile up, now another on a straightaway.
I looked up doping. There is an endless amount of racers charged with it over the years. The American racer who won several Tour De France races some years ago I forget his name, was charged with it. I watched some of the races back then because Europeans tend to look disgustingly at Americans in some sports. The Winter Sports decades ago was brutal with that.

Tony Martin is a beast, consistently one of the worlds best time trialist's (and a great team pacesetter) for the past 15 years. Still going strong. I have it on tape and will watch it tonight. Sucks that the weekly stages are now on Peacock, which no one can record because it is a streaming service.

Tony Martin is a beast, consistently one of the worlds best time trialist's (and a great team pacesetter) for the past 15 years. Still going strong. I have it on tape and will watch it tonight. Sucks that the weekly stages are now on Peacock, which no one can record because it is a streaming service.
I watched it on NBCSN.

I watched it on NBCSN.
Me too, but it changes to Peacock on weekdays

Forum List

Back