Any plumbers by trade here? Need advice

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Screenshot_20210917-102452_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Thinking of picking this up but wondered if there were many drawbacks. Such as inaccessible use because of existing framing on remodels or inability to get close enough to some valves to make the crimp.

Thanks if anyone has used it for any advice before I toss out 750 bucks

It's better to use a hand set...there are good ones around for what you need.

I've used that set for lugs for wire for when I needed to... especially if my Thomas and Betts stake on pliers wouldn't do the job.

Klein stake ons are ok and work for the $35 pair they are...but my Thomas and Betts at $180 are a dream to use. Just saying.

And if you need that kind of compresson they make hydraulic ones that are much cheaper than $750 with a lot less things to go wrong or break or get in the way.

View attachment 540500
Thinking of picking this up but wondered if there were many drawbacks. Such as inaccessible use because of existing framing on remodels or inability to get close enough to some valves to make the crimp.

Not a professional but I doubt it would be any more difficult in tight jobs that hand ratcheting. What I have read indicates that you need to make sure you are using their approved rings so you might want to look into those. I am not a fan of pex though admittedly I have never installed it. I have a problem for someone else now I am going to need to address involving PVC to pex to copper supply line on an outside faucet that needs to be changed. I am old school when it comes to plumping. I used to do irrigation systems so maybe my bias is that pex reminds me too much of funny pipe that wasn't always that easy to work with.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Not a professional but I doubt it would be any more difficult in tight jobs that hand ratcheting. What I have read indicates that you need to make sure you are using their approved rings so you might want to look into those. I am not a fan of pex though admittedly I have never installed it. I have a problem for someone else now I am going to need to address involving PVC to pex to copper supply line on an outside faucet that needs to be changed. I am old school when it comes to plumping. I used to do irrigation systems so maybe my bias is that pex reminds me too much of funny pipe that wasn't always that easy to work with.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
PEX is great stuff...it can take freezing and thawing full of water after 20 years of age.

Won't leak.... unless a mouse starts chewing on it. And there's the real issue....mice can't get enough of it.

It's used extensively in motor homes and travel trailers and it's good stuff... until those things set in a driveway for a year or two.

PEX is great stuff...it can take freezing and thawing full of water after 20 years of age.

Won't leak.... unless a mouse starts chewing on it. And there's the real issue....mice can't get enough of it.

It's used extensively in motor homes and travel trailers and it's good stuff... until those things set in a driveway for a year or two.

To each their own I suppose. I am more outdoor oriented on plumbing and pex isn't as well suited for that because of its sensitivity to UV rays and extreme cold.

• Banned
It's better to use a hand set...there are good ones around for what you need.

I've used that set for lugs for wire for when I needed to... especially if my Thomas and Betts stake on pliers wouldn't do the job.

Klein stake ons are ok and work for the $35 pair they are...but my Thomas and Betts at $180 are a dream to use. Just saying.
I have several hand presses but on big jobs it hurts my elbows believe it or not. Strange I know.
My next job is rebuilding 3 bathrooms. 3 tubs and a shower with all new plumbing that has to be moved to new locations. Tired of doing it by hand.

I have several hand presses but on big jobs it hurts my elbows believe it or not. Strange I know.
My next job is rebuilding 3 bathrooms. 3 tubs and a shower with all new plumbing that has to be moved to new locations. Tired of doing it by hand.
That's why they make apprentices...they aren't just for someplace to kick when angry...they can actually come in handy at times. (Besides conning them out of sausage biscuits for being late to work)

My experience with Milwaukee products is extensive... the parts get broken and lost and there were a few years that they had issues with the triggers. Check the threads and screw/attach the drawing center post regularly before each fitting compression.

And double check for all the pieces before you walk out for the day. Those pricey tools have legs and use them even when you don't think they will.

To each their own I suppose. I am more outdoor oriented on plumbing and pex isn't as well suited for that because of its sensitivity to UV rays and extreme cold.
I wouldn't use PEX for any outdoor plumbing... for that it's all going to be black pipe (except for where copper is called for like drops and even then use a drain for winter)

View attachment 540500

like any other time you go to a power version of a tool thats bigger there are times it wont work where you wanted it to,so keep your hand option available, but no doubt it will be a huge upgrade when doing dozens of crimps a day,
so if you can afford it get it,, I would,,

Forum List

Back