Any musicians here?

Orangecat

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
I play guitar and bass. Kind of a gear nerd, too. Love vintage/boutique guitars/amps/effects.
Just wondering who else has the bug. Pics of your favorites?
No politics here, please!
Here's a recent acquisition of mine: Kelton Swade AVRT. Spectacular 50's Tele reproduction:
toylrax4ol9kcs3j5cat.jpg

No but not from a lack of trying...I took drum lessons guitar and banjo lessons and I just ain't got what it takes....I can hammer out a song or two but nothing worth continuing to try....

No but not from a lack of trying...I took drum lessons guitar and banjo lessons and I just ain't got what it takes....I can hammer out a song or two but nothing worth continuing to try....
Like anything else worth doing, there are no shortcuts around putting in the hours. You gotta seriously love it to get proficient, for sure.

I play guitar and bass. Kind of a gear nerd, too. Love vintage/boutique guitars/amps/effects.
Just wondering who else has the bug. Pics of your favorites?
No politics here, please!
Here's a recent acquisition of mine: Kelton Swade AVRT. Spectacular 50's Tele reproduction:
View attachment 434418
I've been playing guitar for decades , but only seriously in the last one--before just kept my day jobs and practiced as a hobby--believe it or not in the last 3 years I've gotten progressively better....even at 59. I'm doing the crash course-before arthritis hits thing.

Most of my best practicing is along with backing tracks like this one.

Last edited:
I've been playing guitar for decades , but only seriously in the last--before just kept my day jobs and practiced as a hobby--believe it or not in the last 3 years I've got progressively better.

Youtube has revolutionized the learning process.

I've been playing guitar for decades , but only seriously in the last--before just kept my day jobs and practiced as a hobby--believe it or not in the last 3 years I've got progressively better.

Youtube has revolutionized the learning process.

If you can read tablature Songsterr is a good app for learning.

When it comes to solidbody electrics, I really question the wisdom of going for these boutique "repro" examples of popular brands. That guitar you've got is nice, but it ain't cheap. Here's one I found online for almost $6K:

Kelton Swade 1953 Butterscotch AVRT

Here's an actual 1966 Fender Tele being offered up for just $1,000 more, and you've got a guitar that's almost guaranteed to appreciate in value. The resale market for boutique solidbody guitars is remarkably thin. I'm not saying what you have isn't a great guitar, I just have a difficult time determining what makes them cost so much.

If you like the Fender Tele sound, and you like the Fender Tele scale length, and you like the Fender Tele tone, why wouldn't you buy a Fender Tele?

As for musicians, here's a picture of me, in another life (circa 2003) playing at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego before a San Diego State football game:

1441543_10202537287215625_970355642_n.jpg

This past April, a friend in east Texas told me I should get back into playin- I got my first guitar when I was 14, yeah really. I'm over 70 and still wearin jeans- Wranglers BTW- anyway, I got a guitar last April, an inexpensive Mahogany Fender dreadnaught- 7 (in mypossession, I gave the Fender to my friend in east Texas) guitars later I have the below. I wanted it from the first time I saw but it took several mos before it was available- I LOVE it! It fits me to a tee- a Luna Art Vintage Folk model- I love the other 6 too-

1609193128338.png

Forum List

Back