Any Christians against universal health care?

No it isnt, but I dont expect you to understand the difference between sentient choice and non sentient choice. I dont expect you to understand the concept of not eliminating the weak but rather giving them strength....those are just the kinds of things that scare you. I am sure its mostly due to the fact that you derive your thrills from trying to find those weaker than yourself to push around so you can feel "stronger" and fear that if those weaker folks find themselves with more strength, they might just come looking for you.

BOO!!

Is that because he was a Marine? If not why do you assume this to be true?

Is that because he was a Marine? If not why do you assume this to be true?

NO it has to do with the constant macho swaggering and attempts at bullying here and on another board. Although his attempts to use his service as part of his macho routine and bullying would count in my eyes!

Let's look at this question more generally.

If someone says that they believe in being kind, and in helping the poor and weak, does that imply that they should think that the government should nationalize all the industries that produce things the poor and weak need and give it to them for free?

Or does it imply that the person who is willing to give some of his wealth to the poor, should also support having the government forcibly take other peoples' wealth and give it to the poor?

I don't see how this follows. Just because I want to be charitable, why should I force you, who perhaps are selfish, to be charitable?

And this is before we even ask ourselves how well government schemes to supplant personal ownership and private enterprise have worked for the poor in practice. Did Stalin's Russia and Mao's China really feed the multitudes?

1 Corinthians 13 (King James Version)

1 Corinthians 13

1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians 13 ;&version=9;

TRIVIA!

Verse 12 is where Phillip K Dick took the Idea for the title of his book A Scanner Darkly

1 Corinthians 13 (King James Version)

1 Corinthians 13

1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians 13 ;&version=9;

TRIVIA!

Verse 12 is where Phillip K Dick took the Idea for the title of his book A Scanner Darkly

From which book/chapter/verse did he pull the title Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? :D

not to widen this tangent more but..

did you know that you can find actual recording of the acid tests on p2p networks like bearshare? It's crazy how they were freaking on such low-fi shit.

I like Tom Wolfe but I am convinced that he will fill up a page with words and then cram 10 more sentences onto the page. The Right Stuff was damn fine too. EKAT was a GREAT book to read after On The Road considering the Cassady connection. The whole beatkik -> hippy transition always captivated me considering how conservative Jack Kerouak was compared to the rest of em. If anyone is interested in a less glamorized view of the beats check out Sam Kashner's "When I Was Cool" a memoir. Interesting read that catches what was left of the beats in their older years.

ever read any Don DeLillo?

It's not a false analogy. It's a perfectly rational/logical one.

no....to suggest that liberal and secular progressives who believe in Darwin's theory of evolution therefore have anything in common with SOCIAL DARWINISTS is irrational and illogical and dishonest.

We had a family in our old neighborhood that belonged to a church that thought only prayer and God could heal you and thus they eschewed medical help. Neighbors reported them but the church would help them move the sick one. One boy will always stay in my mind, they also did not allow trick or treating so each year he would come to our house with no costume just his hand out. We always laughed and ask him the normal funny questions. He would help me occasionally doing yard work and before long he could not move with out pain or effort. The last time I saw him he was ghost of boy, smiling broadly as I road around on a recumbent I had just put together. So while not a answer you can see some Christians do not obviously support health care.

No it isnt, but I dont expect you to understand the difference between sentient choice and non sentient choice. I dont expect you to understand the concept of not eliminating the weak but rather giving them strength....those are just the kinds of things that scare you. I am sure its mostly due to the fact that you derive your thrills from trying to find those weaker than yourself to push around so you can feel "stronger" and fear that if those weaker folks find themselves with more strength, they might just come looking for you.

BOO!!

Wow, If the left can indoctrinate people like you that easily in to thinking that's how people really are it's amazing a righty has ever been elected.

Yes, that's it. Those of us that have acheived are just afraid of everyone else also acheiving so we spend are wakeing hours trying to keep people down. What color is the sun on this imaginary planet you live on?

It makes perfect sense that you need to think that those that haven't acheived haven't because they were kept down. it couldn't possibly mean that some people simply don't put forth the effort. That would horribly distort you view of human nature.

Hello! I am a Christian (Meaning I am a follower of Christ). I am against a Universal Health care system. I believe it is our individual responsibility as Christians to help others who are in need but I do not believe that anyone should be forced by government to do (or not to do) anything against his or her will (as long as no harm is being done to others). God does not even get in the way of our will as humans. He gives us the freedom of choosing. I believe that incoorperating a Universal Health care system is just one step closer to losing the freedom that so many have given their lives for us to enjoy.

Found ths question in another board posted by someone else and it made me wonder the question of "Any Christians against universal health care?"

The person goes on to say that as a Christian (and not a religious right Christian btw, a very tolerant Catholic), he was wondering if there are any Christians who are against Universal Health care, and the reasoning behind. Simply, as a Christian, he can't understand not being for UHC.

I personally cannot see how being a true Christian and not wanting everyone to have access to healtcare are imcompatible concepts in light of what Jesus/religion in general teaches about being caring, giving to others, having compassion and so forth ...

Christians believe in an afterlife I thought, so this brief, dirty, imperfect journey is just that. A path to the REAL life. So health care would likely be irrelevant. Same for Muslims, and any other group that thinks this life is second fiddle to something else.

Since I think this is the only life I get, I wanna make it last and hopefully enjoy it.

Found ths question in another board posted by someone else and it made me wonder the question of "Any Christians against universal health care?"

The person goes on to say that as a Christian (and not a religious right Christian btw, a very tolerant Catholic), he was wondering if there are any Christians who are against Universal Health care, and the reasoning behind. Simply, as a Christian, he can't understand not being for UHC.

I personally cannot see how being a true Christian and not wanting everyone to have access to healtcare are imcompatible concepts in light of what Jesus/religion in general teaches about being caring, giving to others, having compassion and so forth ...

I am a Christian but my religion has nothing to do with why I don't want universal healthcare. The reason I don't want it is because I believe in personal responsibilty. I have a kidney disease but why should anyone on this board have to pay for my transplant? Why should I have to pay for someone's cancer treatment when they have been smoking for 30 years? Where in the constitution does it say Healthcare is a right? What about food and water? Are those rights also? Where is the line drawn?

If someone can show me the law that says Healthcare is a right and we must have healthcare I might change my mind... So feel free to provide the websaite with that information... Thanks.

I am a Christian but my religion has nothing to do with why I don't want universal healthcare. The reason I don't want it is because I believe in personal responsibilty. I have a kidney disease but why should anyone on this board have to pay for my transplant? Why should I have to pay for someone's cancer treatment when they have been smoking for 30 years? Thanks.

Why do you pay for someone else's police protection? Why do they pay for yours?

Police protection benefits everyone... How does me paying for someone's aids treatment benefit me?

Basically an intellectually dishonest argument for the purpose of attacking Christianity and attempting to push an agenda appealing to the emotions of others.

If you don't want my religion in gov't. don't appeal to it to support your political agenda.

Likewise, I have to wonder how many of secular-progressive Dawinists are FOR UHC, when obviously, it violates the basic tenet of natural selection/survival of the fittest ....

First point good and valid. Second point bullshit.

You have invented a position for your opponents that isn't one held by secular-humanists. Anyway you meant Spencer, not Darwin. But bullshit anyway. It's your basic free market right wing nutter that bangs on about Spencerism. The usual smear against secular humanists is that we're all sooky when it comes to humanity.

Forum List

Back