Any Antique Dealers/Informative people here?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Went to a yard sale today. Bought a Cara Nome ladies powder compact and saw it on ebay going for 20 to 40 bucks. I paid a dollar for it.

Bought an old glazed bowl too. For a dollar. No clue what it is. No markings.

What's bugging me though is the opium/snuff? box. Small about 2 inches wide, 1 inche across, 1 inch deep. Copper bottom. Etched asian Geisha looking lady on the top. Pewter? Silver? No clue. Found some similar on ebay going for 50 to 175 bucks but I am not sure exactly what its for and I cant read the stamp on the bottom copper due to it being in asian writing. If I post pics of the bowl/jar and the snuff box...would someone be able to tell me what is really is?

Heres pics

Attachments

• Message_1616894120599.jpg
    Message_1616894120599.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Message_1616894152710.jpg
    Message_1616894152710.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210327_193504.jpg
    20210327_193504.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210327_193603.jpg
    20210327_193603.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 57
Heres pics
The pot is a Chinese design ginger jar. No clue if yours is actually antique, or Chinese. It's a popular design--I've seen it around. Neat little pot! Here's one similar.

I like little boxes too. That tiny makeup purse is awesome. At first I thought maybe a cigarette holder?

The little compact I got today, I stuffed in my jewelry box. Underneath is a small pan of blush. I think its copper too but has a coating of silverish color. Or its brass. Not sure. Don't care. Its cute.

What Im looking for now are elephants and dragons. I used to have a lot of those when I had my shop back home. Slowly, trying to replace stuff. Little by little. :)

saw it on ebay going for 20 to 40 bucks.
I'm not "winning" anything on ebay. It's all "buy it now" or I'm outbid. Half the time I think there's a "high bid" at the auction, and the "high bidders" are getting their money back somehow, or trading or re-listing the items, which aren't being shipped to outside buyers.

Some sellers do not ship to Alaska / Hawaii. No reason they shouldn't. Same price or very nearly so for U.S. mail.

How much am I supposed to pay for something at an auction online? Not even old or "vintage" but sometimes brand new price for used or pre-owned product + shipping. And I'm outbid even at that.

I remember when Pierre ran ebay. It was his baby. Then he went and ruined it all with Meg Whitman.

I was a power seller too. Had my shop, also had alot of merchandise on Ebay. Then the "only a dollar" shit start, and "all your base belongs to us" and other crap. I stopped selling on there long long ago. But I go there to see what SOLD, not what is currently listed price.

And the shipping? WTF? 9.99 for the beginning bid..with a reserve of 250 bucks, and shipping is 95 bucks? I guess some people just want to list and sit back and watch nothing happen. Meh.
My base customers now are OTHER DEALERS. I sell for my profit, they have plenty of room to get theirs. Win win for all. And not on ebay either. Those with mall space rentals, dealers that I run into at thrift shops, etc. I buy. We step outside, they buy from me. Then they take it to their mall space cubicle or list on etsy or ebay or wherever, and its over and done.

Hey, Gracie, I was looking at Faberge eggs on account of Easter, and thought you'd like this one.

1617089404260.png

The egg was created by workmaster Michael Perkhin (Russian, 1860–1903) and is crafted of gold, silver, rose-cut diamonds, brilliant diamonds and translucent royal blue enamel. The miniature elephant is made of silver, gold, ivory, rose-cut diamonds and red and green enamel. One end of the pine cone, a symbol of resurrection, is set with four petal-shaped portrait diamonds, forming a quatrefoil enclosing the date "1900". The opposite end is set with a rose-cut diamond star, enclosing a portrait diamond over a later miniature of a young woman. The Egg originally bore the monogram B.K.(for Barbara Kelch) beneath the portrait diamond, probably similar to that of the 1899 Kelch Twelve Panel egg. The egg shell opens to reveal, in a fitted velvet compartment, a surprise, an oxidized silver Indian elephant automaton with ivory tusks supporting an enameled turbaned mahout seated upon a gold fringed red and green guilloche enamel saddle cloth. Each side is set with three rose-cut diamond collets, one covers a keyhole. When wound with the original gold key, the tiny elephant, lumbers forward, shifting its weight from one side to the other, all the while turning its head and flicking its tail. The egg has a height of 9.5 cm.[1]

Forum List

Back