'Anti-riot' law backed by Florida Gov. DeSantis blocked by federal judge

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
‘Civil rights organizations argued that the law is unconstitutional because its sweeping language could be used against people who are peacefully protesting.

The judge agreed, saying in his order that the law is a threat to the constitutional rights of Americans. Its "vagueness permits those in power to weaponize its enforcement against any group who wishes to express any message that the government disapproves of,” he wrote.

While some Floridians might approve of the law's "chilling effect" on protesters, Walker wrote, "depending on who is in power, next time it could be their ox being gored.”’

Another small victory in the fight against Republican tyranny.

‘Civil rights organizations argued that the law is unconstitutional because its sweeping language could be used against people who are peacefully protesting.

The judge agreed, saying in his order that the law is a threat to the constitutional rights of Americans. Its "vagueness permits those in power to weaponize its enforcement against any group who wishes to express any message that the government disapproves of,” he wrote.

While some Floridians might approve of the law's "chilling effect" on protesters, Walker wrote, "depending on who is in power, next time it could be their ox being gored.”’

When the government does not do its job, can vigilante justice be far behind? Careful what you wish for---you just might get it.

No problem! If I approach an intersection and suddenly find myself surrounded by a mob that is beating on the vehicle and threatening me or trying to get into my vehicle, I will accelerate to full speed and not stop until the threat is in the rearview. We used to call this common sense.

No problem! If I approach an intersection and suddenly find myself surrounded by a mob that is beating on the vehicle and threatening me or trying to get into my vehicle, I will accelerate to full speed and not stop until the threat is in the rearview. We used to call this common sense.
I agree, but I suspect that is what happened in VA a year or so ago and the media painted that person as a white supremacist.

I agree, but I suspect that is what happened in VA a year or so ago and the media painted that person as a white supremacist.
Gosh, I wonder whatever could have given people the idea Fields is a white supremacist! Hmmmm...

fields-supremacist.jpg

I'm looking at the link in the OP link: Link

To be honest with you, I don't see anything all that objectionable.

The only possible problem I see is that they outlawed doxxing in that bill. Doxxing is a double-edged sword, sure, but I am not certain it should be outlawed.

Hell, the FBI has posted photos online asking people to dox the January 6 rioters.

When the government does not do its job, can vigilante justice be far behind? Careful what you wish for---you just might get it.

The "vigilante justice" you speak of was allowing motorists to run down protestors who block their roads. That is the very definition of "vigilante justice" - allowing individual citizens to take the law into their own hands and murder people they disapprove of.

This is similar to the vigilante abortion law being passed in Texas. The Constitution forbids the government from attacking protestors, so Republicans are turning private citizens into vigilantes to do the job for them. The Constitution guarantees the woman the right to a safe legal abortion, so Texas is turning private citizens into vigilantes to police women getting abortions.

The Republican Party is opposed to the Constitution, the free and fair elections, and the rights of citizens at the polling booth, and is prepared to send armed mobs to attack those who would defend those rights. From the armed mob Trump sent to the Capitol to overthrow the election, to the mobs of crazed loons screaming "critical race theory" at school board meetings, Republicans are making their voters crazed with paranoia and fear, and increasingly, Republican leadership is promoting violence against Democrats.

It is Republicans who are in danger of being forceably restrained from violence.

I'm looking at the link in the OP link: Link

To be honest with you, I don't see anything all that objectionable.

The only possible problem I see is that they outlawed doxxing in that bill. Doxxing is a double-edged sword, sure, but I am not certain it should be outlawed.

Hell, the FBI has posted photos online asking people to dox the January 6 rioters.
..... but I am not certain it should be outlawed.

The "but" negated all the disingenuous spew that preceded it.

Of course an authoritarian goon like you is in favor of doxxing.

..... but I am not certain it should be outlawed.

The "but" negated all the disingenuous spew that preceded it.

Of course an authoritarian goon like you is in favor of doxxing.
If someone commits an act of violence, hell yes!

Like, say, trying to hang the President of the United States or overthrow a branch of government.

This ruling will be appealed according to my local Florida TV news talking head and may even end up in the Supreme Court.

Forum List

Back