Anpther cat. Need advice.

I know. I just checked it. Sorry.
Its on youtube under search for Music For Cats Anxiety.

Meanwhile....I just checked on her. Ive been asleep since that last post...in the recliner. She is still under the bed. No food eaten, no litter box used. I hope she does not pee and poo under the bed!

The cat has food and water, and a litter box. She knows that. Just leave her be so that she can decide when she is hungry enough and feels safe enough. Any pursuit of her now would just be interpreted as an effort to "get" at her making her retreat farther.

Cat has a choice between a happy home and love, or starving and death. Her choice.

Must have been through a lot with the previous owner, so allow for that.

She is a cat. They don't think as we do.
Meanwhile..the previous owner lied to me. This cat is extremely timid and skittish. She apologized for not telling me in advance. I said if she had, I would NOT have taken the cat. She used me. I am not a happy camper.

I don't think this cat is tame at all. I think she is half feral and have tamed for one person only. The previous owner. So...I will give her one more week, then I will see if I can find a way to get her in her carrier and take her to the SPCA, which is a no kill shelter here locally. I hate to do it, but I have enough stress without having to tame another wild cat. All I've done today is sit in my car and cry. I miss my husband. I miss MY cat. And now I have a half feral living under my bed, not eating, not drinking, not peeing. It will be 48 hours at noon tomorrow since she did anything. Cats can hold their pee for 24 to 48 hours. Her time will be up by then. Or she will die under my bed.

Fuck.

She is a cat. They don't think as we do.
Meanwhile..the previous owner lied to me. This cat is extremely timid and skittish. She apologized for not telling me in advance. I said if she had, I would NOT have taken the cat. She used me. I am not a happy camper.

I don't think this cat is tame at all. I think she is half feral and have tamed for one person only. The previous owner. So...I will give her one more week, then I will see if I can find a way to get her in her carrier and take her to the SPCA, which is a no kill shelter here locally. I hate to do it, but I have enough stress without having to tame another wild cat. All I've done today is sit in my car and cry. I miss my husband. I miss MY cat. And now I have a half feral living under my bed, not eating, not drinking, not peeing. It will be 48 hours at noon tomorrow since she did anything. Cats can hold their pee for 24 to 48 hours. Her time will be up by then. Or she will die under my bed.

Fuck.

Well, hopefully it won't come to that. I've taken in and tamed a couple of feral cats--- both made the nicest pets you could ever imagine, but I've also seen one cat react badly to losing her previous owner and changing homes.

I was going to say that starting tomorrow, lift up the edge of the bed sheet and talk sweetly to her and try to tempt her out with something irresistible, a big piece of fresh cooked warm chicken or fish.

Let the cat smell that and see if she will come out to eat. If you see signs of interest but think best, put the food down not far from her on a napkin and leave it--- in a position that eating it puts the water and potty in good position and leaves her in a position to explore the house. Maybe then start trying to talk sweet to her in the doorway, inviting her into the rest of the home.

Good luck and best wishes.

Sorry Gracie, I know you've had more than enough stress to deal with. Hang in there.

Cats are territorial and don't like change. Previous owner sounds like a real winner (*cough, cough*) so who knows what this cat has actually been thru before coming to you. Doesn't sound like she really cared much for the cat, to be so willing to get rid of it like that and lie about it. But I guess that's besides the point now. Atleast the cat isn't screaming, howling, clawing, biting or any other way aggressive. It's probably scared of all the new (car ride, new people, new places, new everything). It can take some time for it to adjust and learn to trust you. It may actually think more like you than you know.......'I miss my owner, i miss my home and I don't understand what's going on'. If you are willing to see it in that way, then you both have a common starting point, to build a new relationship. It just may take awhile for her to come around, depending on how 'feral or damaged' she was before.

Just a side story, hopefully to make you atleast smile, but to also see how cats don't like change..................My cat is fed on the kitchen table, not my preferred place cause I don't like cats on places with food but it's the only place I can feed her that the dogs can't get to her food first. It is, what it is.

About 2 months ago, I was redoing my kitchen floor and had to move the table, chairs and everything else out of the dining area to the living room, just a few feet away and I did that while she was outside........so when she came in and seen everything moved she had a fit and kept yelling at me for the disruption. MEOW, MEOW, MEOOOOOWW. (what have you done with my food?? My life is ruined, everything is different, I want it back the way it WAS).

I had to show her where the food was, and it took me 2 days to finish the floor and put things back and she cussed me the whole time. Once it was back to normal, she shut up. Spoiled brat she is, but we love her anyway

Well, hopefully it won't come to that. I've taken in and tamed a couple of feral cats--- both made the nicest pets you could ever imagine, but I've also seen one cat react badly to losing her previous owner and changing homes.

I was going to say that starting tomorrow, lift up the edge of the bed sheet and talk sweetly to her and try to tempt her out with something irresistible, a big piece of fresh cooked warm chicken or fish.

Let the cat smell that and see if she will come out to eat. If you see signs of interest but think best, put the food down not far from her on a napkin and leave it--- in a position that eating it puts the water and potty in good position and leaves her in a position to explore the house. Maybe then start trying to talk sweet to her in the doorway, inviting her into the rest of the home.

Good luck and best wishes.
I've been doing all that..to no avail.

I've been doing all that..to no avail.

At some point then you'll have to decide when enough is enough. Some cats are just too screwed in the head with fear or whatever and test their owner's patience too far. I've had a few dear cats I LIKED almost do that. :SMILEW~130: This cat is supposed to be a remedy, a SOLUTION for you, not just another problem. Kitty better get her ass in gear--- she is burning up her second lease on life.

I've been told to try to play with her. Use a toy or a string and go around the bed. Well, I just now tried. She just laid under there, then slowly backed further into the back wall where the headboard is and a big pillow and crouched down.

I've decided I am fed up. I was lied to, used, and am now stuck with a cat under my bed. I'm going to find someone to help me herd her into the bathroom and back into her crate. I will close the bathroom door, leave the crate gate open, then take her to spca. I'm done.

I've been told to try to play with her. Use a toy or a string and go around the bed. Well, I just now tried. She just laid under there, then slowly backed further into the back wall where the headboard is and a big pillow and crouched down.

I've decided I am fed up. I was lied to, used, and am now stuck with a cat under my bed. I'm going to find someone to help me herd her into the bathroom and back into her crate. I will close the bathroom door, leave the crate gate open, then take her to spca. I'm done.

It's your call and none of my business, but I'd ask you to give the cat 24 hours to get used to you and her new surroundings. Don't play with her, let her come to you. If she doesn't, well so be it. It ain't her fault you got lied to.

It's your call and none of my business, but I'd ask you to give the cat 24 hours to get used to you and her new surroundings. Don't play with her, let her come to you. If she doesn't, well so be it. It ain't her fault you got lied to.
It's been almost 48 hours. I am giving her until wednesday. After that...she gets gently herded into her carrier and off to SPCA. I plan to pay for her acceptance, shots, donate all the food, 2 40lb litter boxes, litter tray, new scoop, new toys, new brush, 2 bowls and maybe even donate her adoption fee to the approved adopter. Depends on how much it all costs, but the personal belongings and food will also be donated.

Wednesday. Then I am done.

I also ordered some

FELIWAY Classic Cat Calming Pheromone Spray​

it may make it easier on both of us on Herd Day.

So, it's been very lonely with MrG and Evie being gone. I have been looking for another cat but have not found one. I wanted one at least 2 years old, female, indoor only. Nothing available except kittens, so....no luck so far. Until today.

I was reading Craigslist for a cat and there was a new ad. Said rehoming, no charge, 2 years old, indoor only and she could not keep her any more. So I texted her. She was out of town, and said today I could meet her. Well...around 1pm, she texted me, said she had the cat in the carrier and in the car and could bring her to me. I said WHOA! Too fast! I want more info, to meet the cat, etc. She said she was leaving town right away and if I don't take the cat, the cat goes to the pound. I had to think fast. So..maybe stupidly and probably stupidly..I said ok. Bring her.

She arrives with the cat. Cat is howling. Her car is stuffed with stuff. Said she was kicked out where she was staying, and had to go to sacramento and move in temporarily with her boyfriend and his mother..that HER mother is in Sac ICU, that she lost her baby to a miscarriage 2 weeks ago, hated giving up her cat because the cat is so sweet and the best cat she ever owned and was crying her eyes out. So I take the cat and as soon as I have it in my arms (cat and carrier), cat shuts up. Never made a sound even on the elevator. I put her in the bathroom with a kitty litter box, food, water. And I spoke to her after opening the cat door in case she wanted out. She didn't. I checked on her again about 2 hours later and she was in the bathtub hiding behind the shower curtains. When she saw me, she climbed out, carefully walked past my legs, went back into the carrier and meowed once. So I backed out, sat on the floor by the bathroom door and talked to her again for about 20 minutes. Been going in to do that off and on since I got her. Googled, they said to play soft music, give her some tuna. So...I did. When I went in to check her..she was out of the carrier, not in the bathtub, and is now under the bed. So I consider that an improvement.

So..my questions are...

How long do they stay hiding?

Will she remember where the litter box is? (Approx 6 feet from her new hidey hole)

She needs to be vet checked but I know nothing about her, so how long do I wait? Until she is comfortable in her new home? I don't even know if I can pick her up without being clawed or bitten. (This is where I feel really stupid. What have I done taking in a strange cat...but wouldn't this also happen if I found one at the pound???)

Any suggestions on how to get her to feel more at ease? LIghts on the bedroom, with door closed to living room? Lights better off?

Her food is dry, another bowl with about a tablespoon of tuna, another bowl with water, about 3 feet from litter box..all in bathroom where she spent the past 10 hours in her carrier.

She did not pick a spot under the bed where Evie used to lay. Due to scent of a cat? (She is at the foot of the bed instead, between two pillows I stuffed under there in case she chose another spot.)

Any advice would be appreciated. I would hate to take her to the SPCA (no kill shelter) if she doesn't accept me.

Edit:

I closed the bedroom door. I was going to leave it open since it is such a small apt, but I don't want any surprises in the middle of the night, so she now has the bedroom to explore..IF she does. I also closed the slider door to the balconey. I don't want her freaked out, think its just a fence and sails over it only to fall 6 floors.
She needs time---to get used to you and the place. She likely misses her old owner--feels abandoned and is confused. All cats have different personalities--she won't be like your other cat. She will be her. Likely she was used to sleeping on the bed with people. She knows where the litter box is especially if she has used the box atleast once. She can smell where her food is as well. She is a stranger to you as she is to you----it will take time to get to feel like you are a family.

Sorry Gracie, I know you've had more than enough stress to deal with. Hang in there.

Cats are territorial and don't like change. Previous owner sounds like a real winner (*cough, cough*) so who knows what this cat has actually been thru before coming to you. Doesn't sound like she really cared much for the cat, to be so willing to get rid of it like that and lie about it. But I guess that's besides the point now. Atleast the cat isn't screaming, howling, clawing, biting or any other way aggressive. It's probably scared of all the new (car ride, new people, new places, new everything). It can take some time for it to adjust and learn to trust you. It may actually think more like you than you know.......'I miss my owner, i miss my home and I don't understand what's going on'. If you are willing to see it in that way, then you both have a common starting point, to build a new relationship. It just may take awhile for her to come around, depending on how 'feral or damaged' she was before.

Just a side story, hopefully to make you atleast smile, but to also see how cats don't like change..................My cat is fed on the kitchen table, not my preferred place cause I don't like cats on places with food but it's the only place I can feed her that the dogs can't get to her food first. It is, what it is.

About 2 months ago, I was redoing my kitchen floor and had to move the table, chairs and everything else out of the dining area to the living room, just a few feet away and I did that while she was outside........so when she came in and seen everything moved she had a fit and kept yelling at me for the disruption. MEOW, MEOW, MEOOOOOWW. (what have you done with my food?? My life is ruined, everything is different, I want it back the way it WAS).

I had to show her where the food was, and it took me 2 days to finish the floor and put things back and she cussed me the whole time. Once it was back to normal, she shut up. Spoiled brat she is, but we love her anyway
You're staff, you have no right to change your cat's world around.

Cats are Coy------they like to play hard to get...and take their time deciding if they like you. You gotta play hart to get back, she has her basics---ignore her, don't stress over her. Let her make the first move---she will come out when she is ready. If you are not happy with a pet---spca may be the right choice, but you got time to make that decision and you shouldn't be stressing out in the meantime. She senses your stress. What will be will be...

Hallelujah. She finally came out and peed/pooped in her litter box. Still no food eaten, but I will check in the morning for that. I didn't see it happen with the litter box, but I think I heard it. Went to go pee myself and looked at the litter box and lo and behold..she used it. One small weight lifted off me. One. Small. Now to get her to eat and drink some water.

We'll see.

She needs time---to get used to you and the place. She likely misses her old owner--feels abandoned and is confused. All cats have different personalities--she won't be like your other cat. She will be her. Likely she was used to sleeping on the bed with people. She knows where the litter box is especially if she has used the box atleast once. She can smell where her food is as well. She is a stranger to you as she is to you----it will take time to get to feel like you are a family.

My present cat took several days to get used to us and her new home, when we brought her home. When we first visited her at the shelter, she immediately climbed into my lap, snuggled in, and purred. But when we got her home, she spent most of the next several days hiding and being very skittish and scared. Eventually she got used to us, and to her new home, and became a very loving, affectionate cat.

This is a cat that may have similar issues to Gracie's new cat. She had been adopted by other humans, a year earlier, who had to give her up, so she surely felt abandoned, and missed her old home and her old humans.

With some cats, it just takes time. Every cat is different.

There's another neighborhood cat, that I think was abandoned by humans that moved away and left him behind. He has lately taken to visiting my wife and me on a daily basis, coming into our apartment, and making himself at home, as if this is where he's lived all his life. He stays with us for several hours at a time, then leaves to go off and visit others. We're aware of at least one other household that he similarly visits, and there are indications that there may be several others.

Just woke up and checked. No food eaten yet. But I keep fresh in her small bowl...just in case.
I think maybe she was raised alone, in that one room she was kept in. Not free run of the house. Turns out the woman rented a room from her sister and the sister didn't like her boyfriend. Or so she said. So...I think maybe this cat is skittish and timid because she has only known one room her whole life, which is supposedly 2 years. I don't believe this womans story at all, so no telling how old the cat really is and I will never find out until she come out. If ever. There is a rescue place in town and they will be calling me tomorrow because I sent them an email, told them how I came to get this cat, and that I want to get her to a vet, then off to either their shelter that fosters cats and NEVER kills them...or to SPCA which also does not kill.

I'm going to be home all day today....so I think I will open the bedroom door and see if she gets curious enough to explore this new small world. My apt is only about 600 sq feet. TINY kitchen about 4x6, bathroom a tad bigger, bedroom where she currently resides under the bed, about 15x18 living room. And ignore her. Or try to. Just go about my business in my tiny abode so she gets familiar with movement of me from room to room (bathroom is attached to bedroom).

Anyway...as I said...we'll see.

She will come to eat & drink. She can't & won't hold out forever. An empty stomach is a driving force for survival and she's in survival mode.

And depending on how soon you take her to the vet, do expect her to retreat again to another dark corner. 24 to 48 hours isn't really long enough to overcome those fears, then be taken to a vet to be poked & prodded and whatever else is going to be done to her.

It just takes time and patience, but it's up to you of course to decide how much you want to invest in her (time & patience, not money...well that too I suppose). Good luck, I do hope you can give her the chance and home she needs

I'll try. But now I am considering moving to Arizona and move in with my sister in law. She has a spare bedroom...and 4 small dogs. I think Cali is getting to be too much for me or anyone else that wants out.
A move would be horrific for the cat...and me.
So...I have a lot to think about for the next few days. If the rescue folks offer to come get her and find her a better foster home, that is probably what I will do. And nope. No more pets for me. None.

Forum List

Back