Anpther cat. Need advice.

She did talk to me when I peed...which is right next to where her carrier was. Not a warning. More like...who are you??? So I continued to talk to her while I peed. And whenever I have to go in the bedroom, I tell her I am coming in..so she is not startled.

Damn..I hope I am doing this right. Its what I did with Evie, who was a feral but a friendly one. Soon, she was coming in the window I left open for her. I hope this one does the same...meaning trusting me. She looks just like Evie, too. Her name is Juliette.
If she is watching you while you use the people litter box, she has accepted you and is keeping watch while you are vulnerable.

I'll try. But now I am considering moving to Arizona and move in with my sister in law. She has a spare bedroom...and 4 small dogs. I think Cali is getting to be too much for me or anyone else that wants out.
A move would be horrific for the cat...and me.
So...I have a lot to think about for the next few days. If the rescue folks offer to come get her and find her a better foster home, that is probably what I will do. And nope. No more pets for me. None.
I love Ariz. If I could, I would.

Took her to vet finally. She is microchipped, and seems in good health. She allowed me and the vet both to "manhandle" her. She is also spayed. And is 2 years old, approx. Gave her a rabies shot just in case. Said she probably has had all her shots and is current but went ahead with rabies shot anyway. She was quite mellow during the whole torture session. Got home, cuddled her a bit, then let her back in her cat cave bed. Later that day, it was back to her norm....hiding, running from me, not eating. That was 2 days ago. Still not eating. Still not drinking. It has now turned into4 days of no water, no food. So this morning at 1am, I took her out of her cat cave bed, wrapped her in a towel, and force fed her a tiny bit of pureed snack food her previous owner said she liked. After the second syrenge of the food, she began to lick it instead of me forcing her to. I pet her some more, crooned to her, scratched her jaws, petted her. Couple of hours later, I checked on her and she ran away from me again, meowing like I was the enemy.
Maybe she doesn't like me. Maybe she needs to go to spca and they will find her someone she bonds with because it sure isn't me.

I cried myself to sleep. Because I have done allI can do and although I feel better than she did eat a teeny tiny bit due to me making her....she still is not happy with me. So I continue on this path of force feeding her for another day or two...or just give her up to spca.

Took her to vet finally. She is microchipped, and seems in good health. She allowed me and the vet both to "manhandle" her. She is also spayed. And is 2 years old, approx. Gave her a rabies shot just in case. Said she probably has had all her shots and is current but went ahead with rabies shot anyway. She was quite mellow during the whole torture session. Got home, cuddled her a bit, then let her back in her cat cave bed. Later that day, it was back to her norm....hiding, running from me, not eating. That was 2 days ago. Still not eating. Still not drinking. It has now turned into4 days of no water, no food. So this morning at 1am, I took her out of her cat cave bed, wrapped her in a towel, and force fed her a tiny bit of pureed snack food her previous owner said she liked. After the second syrenge of the food, she began to lick it instead of me forcing her to. I pet her some more, crooned to her, scratched her jaws, petted her. Couple of hours later, I checked on her and she ran away from me again, meowing like I was the enemy.
Maybe she doesn't like me. Maybe she needs to go to spca and they will find her someone she bonds with because it sure isn't me.

I cried myself to sleep. Because I have done allI can do and although I feel better than she did eat a teeny tiny bit due to me making her....she still is not happy with me. So I continue on this path of force feeding her for another day or two...or just give her up to spca.

Kudos to you Gracie. You've both made great progress since a few days ago. I think the cat has had some great trauma and just needs a lot of time to heal. She was lucky to have found you. She'll never get that at some noisy pet shelter. Hopefully soon, this cat will start to melt a little and come out of her shell.

I have made contact with a local rescue group. She now eats without me force feeding, but ONLY if I give her the squeezed puree treats. Then when she is done, she cringes from me, does a circle and puts her back to me. In her cat cave. She does not come out. But at least I can reach her now instead of fishing her out from under the bed. I spent a few hours building a wood frame around it to keep her from getting underneath.
I went in to go thru the bedroom to get to the bathroom and caught her at the foot of the bed, exploring. She did a huge MEOW and ran back to her cat cave. I just ignored her like they told me to, went to pee, came out, and saw she peed too in her litter box. Which was another relief that at least her bowels are still working after not for so long.
Anyway...the cat rescue group said give them 5 days to find the right foster home for her. No kids, no dogs, maybe another mellow cat she can bond with and help socialize her because she has never BEEN socialized we think. She was raised for 2 years in a bedroom, saw nobody but her previous owner, then was tossed into another new world (mine) and is now freaked out. I feel bad for her. But I also know I am not the one that can help her. I can't even help myself. And I think I am adding to the trama because she can pick up my emotions as all animals can do. She needs someone patient, knowledgeable more than I am about cats, and training to be the cat she should be. I love her already, but..it is not reciprocated because why would she trust me...this stranger in a strange new world with strange new smells, noises, etc?
So for the next few days....I will continue to feed her as I have been, and wait for the rescue folks to contact me in 3 days to see how things stand for the hunt of the foster parents they want for her. I will give no more of my heart...but I WILL take care of her. And try to stop crying.

The funny thing is....she will only eat those squeezable treats if I do it by hand squirting it in her mouth to lick. She won't do it from a bowl. She has to be hand fed. Then turns away when full. I guess that is how her previous owner did it. For 2 years.:oops:

She has issues. Love cannot fix it alone. She needs someone else...and maybe another cat to show her HOW to love and to give it as well.

She has stopped eating again. She still hides. Still pulls away. Turns her back to me. She is living on those treats now..which is NOT filled with the vitamins she needs. If I leave her in her cat cave and hold it to her, she will inch close enough to lick. Then she turns around and shows her back.

I won't continue this. Tomorrow, I am checking out the local pound. They state they are a no kill shelter, and when I did visit there before, they had a section of unadoptable cats. I will go tomorrow to look more closely. No animal rescue group can or will help. They are overloaded with cats and have no room.

Having a cat that hides and is unsociable is one thing. Time will help, yes. But a cat that refuses food and water? Different story. No help from anyone. So..I will have to do what I feel is best for her...and for myself. I am not what she wants. I think its best she goes to where she can watch other cats and maybe learn. I don't know. But I know I cannot continue this.

She has stopped eating again. She still hides. Still pulls away. Turns her back to me. She is living on those treats now..which is NOT filled with the vitamins she needs. If I leave her in her cat cave and hold it to her, she will inch close enough to lick. Then she turns around and shows her back.

I won't continue this. Tomorrow, I am checking out the local pound. They state they are a no kill shelter, and when I did visit there before, they had a section of unadoptable cats. I will go tomorrow to look more closely. No animal rescue group can or will help. They are overloaded with cats and have no room.

Having a cat that hides and is unsociable is one thing. Time will help, yes. But a cat that refuses food and water? Different story. No help from anyone. So..I will have to do what I feel is best for her...and for myself. I am not what she wants. I think its best she goes to where she can watch other cats and maybe learn. I don't know. But I know I cannot continue this.

I feel for what you are going through but you've made every effort and this cat is just leaving you no choice. I mean, you are offering the cat the happiest life she can ever imagine but she is unwilling to even meet you halfway to earn it.

I feel for what you are going through but you've made every effort and this cat is just leaving you no choice. I mean, you are offering the cat the happiest life she can ever imagine but she is unwilling to even meet you halfway to earn it.
She is a cat. She does not think like humans do. She is just flat out scared. One minute, she was asleep as usual on her on turf, the next, she is grabbed, slung into a carrier and dumped off to a complete stranger in a whole new world. I get it. I know she is confused and afraid. I just don't know if I can get her to trust me...ever. It takes time, and do I have time? I thought I did.
So now I am pondering on whether to head to petsmart and get a cage like they would put her in at the shelter. Big enough to hold her cat cave, her litter box, her food, and I can still reach her if I have to give her a suppliment. Maybe another week. Maybe another month. I am hesitant to take her, but I fear for us both on the time that is needed to show her she is safe with me. And being a cat, and an animal, I hav e to earn that trust..which again, takes time.

Hell, I don't know what I will do tomorrow. No clue. But I WILL go and talk to the shelter people, see where they would put her, how they would help her if at all. Then I will decide. Maybe they don't have room either? If not...then it will be the large cage that I will spiffy up and make cozy to where she can SEE me, and finally maybe realize I am not a threat. Throw a blanket over it or something...or half of it. She has her safe hidey hole. And I can reach her. As far as food is concerned...a suppliment I plan to purchase tomorrow in gel form. I can squirt it into her mouth. Then again...I may go ahead and come back here, get her and all her new stuff, and take her to the shelter and be done with it. And then feel much guilt. So....not sure what will happen. Ive been a mess since Dennis died, making poor decisions. Im dealing with this shit alone, no family to assist. Just me, myself and I. I pray I make the right decision. I can survive whatever I choose to do. But will she? And THAT is my fear. Will I be doing the right thing for HER.

Meanwhile, the last time I texted her previous owner, she said to me "I feel so bad for putting you in this situation. I feel terrible". I wanted to lay into her...treating her faithful pet in such a manner and just dumping her off. Instead, I responded with two words.

YOU SHOULD.

Haven't heard from her since. Don't plan to reply if she sends another text. I'm done with her. Just prior to that last text, I told her I lived in my van with my hsuband and my dog because nobody would rent to me with a dog. Get rid of dog, get a room. NO FUCKING WAY was I going to do that. NO WAY. Yet SHE dumped her cat because her boyfriend didn't want a cat in his room but his dog was just fine and dandy.
Asswipe. And she is a coward and a wimp.

I will check out the shelter tomorrow. If they just toss them in there as unadoptable and do not work with them to MAKE them adoptable, then I will not take her there. Instead, I will put her in the new dog crate I just bought from amazon Big enough to put on a cedar chest that is underneath the bedroom window, for her cat cave, her litter box, food bowls and room to move around. Then she can SEE me. And I her. No more hiding except when in her cat cave. I can move it to the living room too, so she can smell those smells.
As far as the feeding situation and her refusing to eat....I can do what I can...and hope she eventually eats on her own soon, or.....I don't know what else. If she begins to wither..and nobody will take her, the only other option left is to talk to vet and see if he will..well....I don't even want to say it. Not even. No. But I will not torture her either with ivs and force feeding etc.

OR....if the shelter does work with animals turned in...then she will go there. I can always send the kennel crate back for a refund.

Update:

No shelter, pound, rescue group will take her. They all said they are filled up with cats and kittens since it is kitten season. So, that meant she is meant to stay with me. After pondering what to do, I decided to get her a dog crate. A big one. BIG. I bought one at PetSmart for 68 bucks and its the size for a german shepherd. BIG. Collapsable too. Brought it home, set it up, put her cat cave in there (2 of them), her litter box, some toys, her food. Then I took her and her carrier and opened the gate and put her in. She ran immediately to the cat cave to hide. I covered it with a large throw but open at the bottom so she could still view me from the bottom catcave (I have them stacked) as I moved around the room. Next morning...food bowl was empty, water half gone, litter box full, lol. She wanted her own safe spot...safe haven...save mini home. And that is what she got.

This was 2 days ago. Tonight, I opened the kennel gate, then laid on my bed just to see what she would do. She hesitantly came out of the cat cave about 10 minutes after I laid down. Then she came to the open gate and looked around. Then she came out. Then wandered the room a bit very carefully. When I moved on the bed, she made a beeline back to the crate and her cave. I stayed where I was, fluffing pillows and stuff. She came back out. Did a bit more exploring. I waited. Then she jumped on the bed and slowly came to my face, smelled my hair, then.....surprise....she laid down against me. I petter her awhile very carefully, then stopped like I was asleep. After awhile roamed to the window sill (I have a cart there with a pillow on it so she can look out if she wants) then she went back in to the crate. HOME to her. I got up, closed the gate, said Night Night Sleepy Time, which is what I have been saying since I got her so she knows night time is SLEEPY TIME, left the room.

I think I made some headway, dontcha think? :)

Update:

No shelter, pound, rescue group will take her. They all said they are filled up with cats and kittens since it is kitten season. So, that meant she is meant to stay with me. After pondering what to do, I decided to get her a dog crate. A big one. BIG. I bought one at PetSmart for 68 bucks and its the size for a german shepherd. BIG. Collapsable too. Brought it home, set it up, put her cat cave in there (2 of them), her litter box, some toys, her food. Then I took her and her carrier and opened the gate and put her in. She ran immediately to the cat cave to hide. I covered it with a large throw but open at the bottom so she could still view me from the bottom catcave (I have them stacked) as I moved around the room. Next morning...food bowl was empty, water half gone, litter box full, lol. She wanted her own safe spot...safe haven...save mini home. And that is what she got.

This was 2 days ago. Tonight, I opened the kennel gate, then laid on my bed just to see what she would do. She hesitantly came out of the cat cave about 10 minutes after I laid down. Then she came to the open gate and looked around. Then she came out. Then wandered the room a bit very carefully. When I moved on the bed, she made a beeline back to the crate and her cave. I stayed where I was, fluffing pillows and stuff. She came back out. Did a bit more exploring. I waited. Then she jumped on the bed and slowly came to my face, smelled my hair, then.....surprise....she laid down against me. I petter her awhile very carefully, then stopped like I was asleep. After awhile roamed to the window sill (I have a cart there with a pillow on it so she can look out if she wants) then she went back in to the crate. HOME to her. I got up, closed the gate, said Night Night Sleepy Time, which is what I have been saying since I got her so she knows night time is SLEEPY TIME, left the room.

I think I made some headway, dontcha think? :)

Good for you, Gracie, good for you.

Then she jumped on the bed and slowly came to my face, smelled my hair, then.....surprise....she laid down against me.

In honor of Gracie's great accomplishment, I've included a few cat pictures here to enjoy!

!ATT-6-859E4F8F8C254644BAF5B58AB6BCA2C5-image007.jpg
5NE7KKRQQGTS7OT1-v1-fram640x414x640x414xxxx.jpeg

6a527f11-c457-4b59-8c91-00d7350ab873.jpg

013-that-s-one-greedy-kitty-2554895.jpg

14.jpg
catbird.jpg
cat-family-sleeping-mini-me-r-default.jpg
216352610660267522full.jpg

CATCLOSET.jpg
cathorse.jpg
file013.jpg
cathotel.jpg
Mail Attachment-5.jpeg
CatInAir.jpg

What?.jpeg

Why do cats ride horses? I have learned that many cats like riding horses and horses really don't mind a feline buckaroo.

Anyway..I now have another living soul in the apt and am not alone. But...geeze....what have I gotten myself in to?
Cats are wonderful creatures. Just let her come to you when she's ready. It sounds like she's a good one, but the change of scenery will take some adjustment. She's very lucky to have you.

She now knows what Sleepy Time is. Which means, do not sit on my face when I am asleep. :auiqs.jpg:

She went out on the balconey (outside) for the first time in her 2 year life. It lasted about 30 seconds after she tentatively walked to the railing and looked down. She then skedaddled back to her house cat kennel.

She wanders the living room now too but doesn't stay for long. She likes the bedroom...and her kennel cave.

For some reason, she likes to put her butt in my face when its pet time.

I need to name her. JuJuBee just doesn't fit.

ScaredyCat? Franny, short for frantic cuz that is how she acts when its pet time...like she has to hurry to get all the rubs in because it never lasted long with her previous owner? Timidly? Timi? Goofy? So now I just call her Kitty. I don't think she gives a damn either way, lol. But she IS learning. She learned Sleepy Time really fast when I woke up with a yelp after she jumped up on my face when I was asleep.:aug08_031::oops::bigbed::no_text11::10:

Forum List

Back