Another tragic dog mauling

Pit Bulls are bred to be aggressive
Timid Pit Bulls are not bred

An owner may suppress those aggressive instincts but they are still there. A small child or another dog that runs away can trigger an attack

A Pit Bull does not nip

Pit Bulls are not naturally aggressive. They were called "Nanny Dogs" for a long time. They are among the sweetest dogs I have ever known, and I have know a lot of dogs.

The reason they can be dangerous if taught to be aggressive is that they have a very high pain tolerance and incredible jaw strength. I currently have a Pittie/German Shorthaired Pointer mix. He can be hyper. He is athletic as hell. But he is not aggressive towards people or other dogs. One caveat, if you lay hands on my girlfriend and she is afraid, I am not sure what he would do to defend "Momma".

My daughter has 2 Pitties. Both purebred. The older one is the biggest baby of all our family dogs. The other one is a sweetie too.

Call it what you wish in terms of motivation
But Pit Bull attacks are excessively vicious compared to other breeds.

A Chihuahua may be more likely to bite, but it’s attack will not be fatal.

This is not because of their aggression. It is because of their high pain tolerance and their jaw strength.

Pit Bulls are not naturally aggressive. They were called "Nanny Dogs" for a long time. They are among the sweetest dogs I have ever known, and I have know a lot of dogs.

The reason they can be dangerous if taught to be aggressive is that they have a very high pain tolerance and incredible jaw strength. I currently have a Pittie/German Shorthaired Pointer mix. He can be hyper. He is athletic as hell. But he is not aggressive towards people or other dogs. One caveat, if you lay hands on my girlfriend and she is afraid, I am not sure what he would do to defend "Momma".

My daughter has 2 Pitties. Both purebred. The older one is the biggest baby of all our family dogs. The other one is a sweetie too.
i think RW and others that agree with him,believe that the dog,just because of his breed,is a time bomb that can just lose it at any point in time......

Every one should be shot in the head
I don't usually post up here. but I happened to see this.. In our small town. There was a little boy. He was about seven... playing in the yard with a couple of other kids.. the neighbors pitbull snapped for no reason and mutilated the kid.. killed him.
My girlfriends husband was an emt.. first on the scene.. He said it was horrific. The entire town was in an uproar.. yea yea.. everyone always claims they have a " special" pit bull- sure!
I've known many and I would not trust them as far as I could throw them. sorry winterborn.

Let me share a true story here.

As some of you know, a few years ago I worked helping a friend build a business using goats to clear overgrown landscaping in and around Atlanta. Very cool job.

When I started he had around 110 goats broken up into 4 herds. He also had 2 Great Pyrenees he used as livestock guard dogs.

We had a big project for the city next to an iffy neighborhood. It was probably 5 or 6 acres of extremely overgrown terrain, with a lot of kudzu and english ivy.

One night 3 pitbulls got through the electric fence and tried to attack the goats. Not surprising, since goats are on top of every predator's menu where ever they live. The Great Pyrenees (George and Bella) killed 2 of the pitbulls and wounded the 3rd. One goat had a minor injury. The owner tried to sue, but the case was thrown out and he was fined.

My point being, the pit bull is not the only, or even the most, dangerous dog out there.

I don't usually post up here. but I happened to see this.. In our small town. There was a little boy. He was about seven... playing in the yard with a couple of other kids.. the neighbors pitbull snapped for no reason and mutilated the kid.. killed him.
My girlfriends husband was an emt.. first on the scene.. He said it was horrific. The entire town was in an uproar.. yea yea.. everyone always claims they have a " special" pit bull- sure!
I've known many and I would not trust them as far as I could throw them. sorry winterborn.

No need to apologize.

I think the breed has been damaged by irresponsible breeding, like German Shepherds. I also think, as I said, that many people misidentify the dog as a pit bill.

I don't have a "special" pit. Nor does my daughter. We have the normal pitties. The aggressive ones are the "special" ones, and usually due to selective breeding combined with training.

Let me share a true story here.

As some of you know, a few years ago I worked helping a friend build a business using goats to clear overgrown landscaping in and around Atlanta. Very cool job.

When I started he had around 110 goats broken up into 4 herds. He also had 2 Great Pyrenees he used as livestock guard dogs.

We had a big project for the city next to an iffy neighborhood. It was probably 5 or 6 acres of extremely overgrown terrain, with a lot of kudzu and english ivy.

One night 3 pitbulls got through the electric fence and tried to attack the goats. Not surprising, since goats are on top of every predator's menu where ever they live. The Great Pyrenees (George and Bella) killed 2 of the pitbulls and wounded the 3rd. One goat had a minor injury. The owner tried to sue, but the case was thrown out and he was fined.

My point being, the pit bull is not the only, or even the most, dangerous dog out there.
Well Winterborn? The Pyreness was doing their job. And a mighty fine job they did!. They saw danger and took care of it. Good for them. The pitbulls started it. They ended it.

Pit Bulls are bred to be aggressive
Timid Pit Bulls are not bred

An owner may suppress those aggressive instincts but they are still there. A small child or another dog that runs away can trigger an attack

A Pit Bull does not nip
WINNER!
Absolutely correct. In America Pit Bulls have been so overbred into aggressiveness that it is unlikely you will find a single pit bull that has not been tainted by aggressive breeding. This is what happened to Doberman Pinchers in the 1970s, and it took pretty much 30 years to breed out the aggressive strains. Pit bulls have been so aggressive bred that the only answer may very well be banning the breeding of them with heavy-heavy fines and even jail time for illegal breeding.

Last edited:
No need to apologize.

I think the breed has been damaged by irresponsible breeding, like German Shepherds. I also think, as I said, that many people misidentify the dog as a pit bill.

I don't have a "special" pit. Nor does my daughter. We have the normal pitties. The aggressive ones are the "special" ones, and usually due to selective breeding combined with training.
On the other hand.. stay away from these too.. The chihuahua.. deadly.. :aargh:

No need to apologize.

Like German Shepherds??
Eh? The only large scale irresponsible breeding of GSD's are typically done by professional breeders who have caused all manner of physical problems with the breed. So much so, that the breed has broken into two bred lines "Show class" and "Working Class" - the working class GSD's are of the original unadulterated breed.
Or is that what you were referring to?

No need to apologize.

I have several friends with Pits and they are the biggest most loving babies ever. They would lick you to death after a five hour nap.

Well Winterborn? The Pyreness was doing their job. And a mighty fine job they did!. They saw danger and took care of it. Good for them. The pitbulls started it. They ended it.

They were wonderful dogs. I would tell people they are the fluffiest, sweetest dogs ever, until something threatens the herd. Then they turn into polar bears.

George had 2 patches of missing hair on his neck, where the pit pulled it out. But no wounds.

Like German Shepherds??
Eh? The only large scale irresponsible breeding of GSD's are typically done by professional breeders who have caused all manner of physical problems with the breed. So much so, that the breed has broken into two bred lines "Show class" and "Working Class" - the working class GSD's are of the original unadulterated breed.
Or is that what you were referring to?

Yes, that is what I am referring too. Luckily the main problem with the overbred GSD is hip issues.

They were wonderful dogs. I would tell people they are the fluffiest, sweetest dogs ever, until something threatens the herd. Then they turn into polar bears.

George had 2 patches of missing hair on his neck, where the pit pulled it out. But no wounds.
I have Miniature Schnauzers now.. tough- built like a brick shit house..- sweet-handsome.. luv the breed. I shrunk my dogs down as I got older. Had a bunch of sweet labs... few German shepard mixes.. but they ate everything. :aargh:

Forum List

Back