Another modest advantage to solar PV power

I think the biggest takeaway from the OP's article is that solar PV installations can fairly easily be made sufficiently durable to resist high winds and flooding. The most common cause of power loss in storms, however, is from downed lines and Babcock Ranch has buried power and internet lines. They have also constructed their streets to handle storm water so the houses don't. This is all simply addressing regional climate issues as any new construction anywhere ought to be doing.
yeah, so if the solar were on the grid and the cables downed, how is it the solar kept the houses powered with downed cables?

yeah, so if the solar were on the grid and the cables downed, how is it the solar kept the houses powered with downed cables?
Because, as I said in my post, the town in question put power and communications lines underground.

I think the biggest takeaway from the OP's article is that solar PV installations can fairly easily be made sufficiently durable to resist high winds and flooding. The most common cause of power loss in storms, however, is from downed lines and Babcock Ranch has buried power and internet lines. They have also constructed their streets to handle storm water so the houses don't. This is all simply addressing regional climate issues as any new construction anywhere ought to be doing.
How about dust? If you get a few inches of dust on those panels how much energy is produced?

The accumulation of dust, soot, or other particulates causes a drop in the efficiency of photovoltaic (PV) panels, which translates to a decline in the amount of power produced and lost income for their operators. But cleaning these solar panels carries a cost as well.

Scientists Studying Solar Try Solving a Dusty Problem

www.nrel.gov/news/features/2021/scientists-studying-solar-try-solving-a-dusty-problem.html

GoSm.svg
WebrootSmall.svg

www.nrel.gov/news/features/2021/scientists-studying-solar-try-solving-a-dusty-

Those cables don’t go to homes, they go to the grid, the grid runs air cables that fell!!!
In the town of Babcock Ranch, Florida, those cable DO go to homes and provided power, phone and internet throughout all of Ian without interruption.

For Christ's sake, read the fucking OP. You're actually getting worse than worthless.
So, reread the OP, fair enough, no air cables for 2000 residents. Imagine that had there been no air cables everywhere, trees and debris wouldn’t have taken the power out. Did any substations break down in the state, or main power aerial lines only? You don’t argue like for like scenarios do you? That ranch was built purposely to avoid such damage. Has nothing to do with solar panels

So, reread the OP, fair enough, no air cables for 2000 residents. Imagine that had there been no air cables everywhere, trees and debris wouldn’t have taken the power out. Did any substations break down in the state, or main power aerial lines only? You don’t argue like for like scenarios do you? That ranch was built purposely to avoid such damage. Has nothing to do with solar panels
The panels themselves stood up to a Cat 4+ storm.

So did every other power plant! They weren’t in the initial surge either
So, they were not any more vulnerable to wind and rain damage than any other power technology.

So, they were not any more vulnerable to wind and rain damage than any other power technology.
You are making something up that isn’t unique. You think they were active or running batteries?

Not a clue about batteries. And what do you think I am making up?
there was no sun, so they couldn't have been active. Right? It's how they work? they need sun? just curious how they kept power with no sunlight.

there was no sun, so they couldn't have been active. Right? It's how they work? they need sun? just curious how they kept power with no sunlight.
Hurricanes do not block all sunlight.

I disagree. Overcast skies certainly reduce the power available, but I suspect they were a long ways from "inoperable".
so you agree, they are not fully active. So if megawatts cannot be significantly produced to support the 2000 residents, then they didn't have uninterrupted power without battery back up.

Forum List

Back