Another Lie You Swallowed

It's time you learned how to address your betters.

You're not speaking to your family here.

Most of my family are immigrants. And what you are saying is a load of crap.

My great-great grandparents moved here from Norway, and they never learned English beyond a few words. They moved to an area in the Dakotas that had a large Norwegian community, and never had to learn English. My great-grandparents were the first to grow up with a useful ability, but even then they spoke with a strong accent all their lives.

Following another branch who came from Germany in the 1700's, it was the exact same thing. First immigrants (a Lutheran Minister) came to build a church that was for other German immigrants. All records (including newspaper accounts) of this ministry said they and the services were in German.

My wife and her family moved here from Argentina in 1979. My wife and her younger sister learned English, but her parents never did. Her mom lived here most of her life, and never learned the language.

Hell, according to family history, my great-grandfather is the first of his family to learn more than a few words and phrases in English. And his family had been here a hell of a lot longer than even the English had been here.

The post you quoted wasn't addressed to you, so your post is ill-suited to your intent.

Read more carefully.

BTW....I'm never wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: JLW
Senator Hiakawa (sp?) of Hawaii once proposed a Constitutional Amendment making English the official language of the U.S. His proposal was the subject of much ridicule, because his contemporaries (not that long ago) failed to see the creeping notion that another language (or languages) would shortly be demanded. Now, many government functions "must" be made available in Spanish as well as English because it is considered gauche to impose our language on our "guests." Now, in our craziest state, the sovereign feels compelled to teach public school children in whatever language they bring to the table. Idiots.

I have much experience with a small group of Italian immigrants (my in-laws) and I am loathe to generalize, but their attitude was always,
  • Learn as little English as is needed to get by,
  • Live as much as possible in an Italian enclave (churches, clubs, employers, etc.), speaking exclusively Italian within that enclave,
  • Demand that the children born here learn English as soon as possible, and take advantage of the educational opportunities that exist here - mainly in parochial schools,
  • Insist that the first-gen Americans assimilate, but respect their Italian heritage, including speaking the language or at least understanding it.
From what I observe in other immigrants, this seems to be fairly consistent. Black immigrants seem to be just as good at assimilating as white.

What was this thread about? Oh yeah. Not one in a hundred public high school grads could even articulate the difference between natural selection and passing on of acquired characteristics, so WGAS?

The post you quoted wasn't addressed to you, so your post is ill-suited to your intent.
Read more carefully.
BTW....I'm never wrong.

Actually, you are frequently wrong. Mostly it seems because you seem to confuse your political beliefs with "facts".

Me on the other hand, I am not political at all. So I do not let such minor issues such as "politics" blind me to what is and what is not.

Ahhh, but arrogance. Always nice to see that both sides of the political spectrum can have blinding arrogance. But such behavior does no good. In fact, it more than likely will simply turn others against you. Me, my general tendency is to move against whoever is being the "bigger twit" in a debate. Which ironically mostly has me turning to the Right. But this time, it seems me being pushed "left".

In other words, politics do not belong in history. And if you can't make your points without insults, then you likely never really had a point to start with.

Have a good day.

Read more carefully.
BTW....I'm never wrong.

Actually, you are frequently wrong. Mostly it seems because you seem to confuse your political beliefs with "facts".

Me on the other hand, I am not political at all. So I do not let such minor issues such as "politics" blind me to what is and what is not.

Ahhh, but arrogance. Always nice to see that both sides of the political spectrum can have blinding arrogance. But such behavior does no good. In fact, it more than likely will simply turn others against you. Me, my general tendency is to move against whoever is being the "bigger twit" in a debate. Which ironically mostly has me turning to the Right. But this time, it seems me being pushed "left".

In other words, politics do not belong in history. And if you can't make your points without insults, then you likely never really had a point to start with.

Have a good day.

Everything I post is linked, sourced and documented.

Take a lesson.

Crock of shit.
Immigrants came here with their children, waved the American flag, had their children teach them English, and were proud to gain their citizenship. They wanted to be Americans, not Italian Americans, or German Americans. It took one generation. That didn't mean they quit socializing with others who left their countries for the American dream.
They are nothing like the immigrants sneaking in to our country now. They want to be Somalians, living in America. Hondurans, living in America, Mexicans living in America.

You are incorrect.

Forum List

Back