Another group of Toronto tenants refuses to pay rent, this time amid near 10% proposed hike

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
People are lashing out on the Police State and the absurd money spent on it compared to the social needs of people in the province. Thus, this is one of many rent strikes that have been reported over the last month alone. People are realizing that they've been had. The P.R isn't effective for a domestic audience any longer in creepy Ontario.

Americans think they have it so bad, try paying $3000 a month for rent alone across a city with so many slum Lords. These are people often with advanced degrees! People are living with 4 in a 1BR apt, all trying to live on $16/hr.

You should lean hard on Canada to embrace American liberty. Otherwise, you are a little too close to a sinking ship methinks...

More than 100 tenants in a Thorncliffe Park apartment complex have stopped paying rent to protest proposed above-guideline increases of almost 10 per cent over the last two years, according to a tenant advocacy group.

The rent strike, which started just over a month ago, is the second in Toronto spurred on by above-guideline rent increases (AGIs) that CBC Toronto has reported on within the last week.

These Toronto tenants are sick of above-guideline rent increases. Now, they're taking action

Parkdale residents protest against landlord's application for 'above-guideline' rent increases

Residents of a three-building apartment complex on Thorncliffe Park Drive were given notice of rent increases beginning on May 1, varying from 4.94 per cent to 5.5 per cent, according to copies of 2022 and 2023 notices shared with CBC Toronto by the Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations (FMTA). Last year, the proposed increase was 4.2 per cent.

Khalil Aldroubi, who lives in the complex with his family, is one of the tenants protesting.

"We [ran] away from the war, from Syria, to find peace and a comfortable life here in Canada," Aldroubi said.

He said his family now considers the Thorncliffe Park complex as their home, and the increase, which would tack on almost $150 a month to their rent, is more than they can afford.

"We started feeling like someone [is] trying to kick out or push us out of our community and our home."

Toronto has always been a tad pricey for real estate even before you take into account the exchange rate. It was on my places to consider for retirement lists but I have more or less given up on them. I want to snowbird in the opposite direction I guess---go cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Toronto has always been a tad pricey for real estate even before you take into account the exchange rate. It was on my places to consider for retirement lists but I have more or less given up on them. I want to snowbird in the opposite direction I guess---go cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
You wanted to retire in Toronto? If you are a cop, maybe, you will be right at home here.

Otherwise, this is generally not a good idea.

Forum List

Back