Another close game decided by an umpire's bad strike 3 call.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Pro tennis uses the Hawkeye Line System on close line calls. So there is already a precedent for Major League Baseball to use technology to challenge ball and strike calls. IMO There is no reason to continue relying on umpires to make critical ball and strike calls when the game or even a chance at the playoffs is on the line. Tonight the Diamondbacks WOULD HAVE had bases loaded with two outs in the 9th, had the third strike call been made correctly. The ball was at least 5 inches outside. But the call was made, and the game was handed to the Twins. I would be making the EXACT SAME CASE for the Twins had the situation been reversed. Can you give me a rational argument to NOT use technology to challenge balls and strikes in baseball?

Pro tennis uses the Hawkeye Line System on close line calls. So there is already a precedent for Major League Baseball to use technology to challenge ball and strike calls. IMO There is no reason to continue relying on umpires to make critical ball and strike calls when the game or even a chance at the playoffs is on the line. Tonight the Diamondbacks WOULD HAVE had bases loaded with two outs in the 9th, had the third strike call been made correctly. The ball was at least 5 inches outside. But the call was made, and the game was handed to the Twins. I would be making the EXACT SAME CASE for the Twins had the situation been reversed. Can you give me a rational argument to NOT use technology to challenge balls and strikes in baseball?

I Don't know if you would consider this to be a rational argument. We are human and make mistakes. I would rather a game be decided by imperfect humans than some sort of technological wizardry. I feel the same way about instant replay in football. It does give the fans a good excuse to vent at the umps.
Get used to bad decisions determining the course of events. The only exception I would make to this view is when the fix is in.

I Don't know if you would consider this to be a rational argument. We are human and make mistakes. I would rather a game be decided by imperfect humans than some sort of technological wizardry. I feel the same way about instant replay in football. It does give the fans a good excuse to vent at the umps.
Get used to bad decisions determining the course of events. The only exception I would make to this view is when the fix is in.
There are many calls made during the course of a game. I'm not talking about those calls. I am specifically talking about game changing bad calls at the end of a baseball game. It is quite possible spots in the playoffs will be decided by one game, whether wild card or division leaders. We have challenges for out calls, running the bases, home run or not review and others. Why would you then exclude challenges for calls that literally decide the outcome of a game?

Baseball has been unwatchable ever since George Steinbrenner died
Not for me I love the strategy aspect, the game within the game. I played it, coached it and my son got to college level in baseball. It is so competitive at the top level, these game changing calls can take you out of the playoffs which is what the players play for and what the fans pay for.

I’ve never understood your side of the fences logic on this issue.

Umps make mistakes, we have technology that can result in less mistakes or eliminate them.

Yet, you find the mistakes charming?

Basketball hoops are always 10 ft, every night, in every building. The strike zone should be the same

1. Just because a call is made at the end of the game doesn’t make it more impactful than at the beginning of the game.

2. Having balls and strikes called electronically would end base stealing. No one is running on an MLB catcher who doesn’t have to worry about framing pitches or staying in his crouch to give the umpire a view of the pitch.

Forum List

Back