Another "another inexpensive knife"...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Actually two this time.

One is yet another Grand Way...

This time a little boot knife for less than $9.00.

Screenshot_20230207-171207-411.png

I have several of these Grand Ways in different styles...they have all held up remarkably well. This one is again supposed to be 440C.

---------

The other is a Doom Blades...which I've never heard of...I just liked the profile.

8cr15mov steel from China.

Just under $10.

Screenshot_20230207-171507-876.png

Links...

I don't get along well with most knifes.

Seems like every time I use one in the kitchen, James appears like a magic genie and tries to be nonchalant while he watches me like a hawk.

Likely made of radioactive Chinesium.

Jeez.....If you want a good cheap fixed blade knife get a Mora.....For a folder get a Opinel.
Not a big fan of Moras...like a blade sticking out of a lightbulb.

Opinels are fine for a small folder...but above an 8...no thanks. A No.6 is about the goldilocks zone for Opinels.

Not a big fan of Moras...like a blade sticking out of a lightbulb.

Opinels are fine for a small folder...but above an 8...no thanks. A No.6 is about the goldilocks zone for Opinels.
Mora, well they got those new-fangled fancy handles now.....I still rock a old wood 4.25" handled one. I must have a dozen of them of different flavors.

I like the #8 Opinel for all around use, the #6 is a bit small.

LOL....I had a big honking Opinel #12 we kept at hunt camp to slice country ham....It was huge.

R.c04a3927fcb14a28db0cf9db30bd8bc4

I always wanted one of the #12 pull saws but never pulled the trigger.

OPT000658_01_opinel-zaag-no-12-opt000658-d1

LOL....I had a big honking Opinel #12 we kept at hunt camp to slice country ham....It was huge.
Good grief does that look unwieldy.

I think the cheap Moras had that goofy rubber handle by the time I was turned on to them...maybe 10 years ago.

Edit...I see they still have some on the market...but no guard or finger stop. That's a deal breaker for me in a fixed blade

Likely made of radioactive Chinesium.

Jeez.....If you want a good quality cheap fixed blade knife get a Mora.....For a folder get a Opinel.

both available on amazon.

mora

opinel
While as a blade aficionado myself... Reality chimes in. Its just a sharp, pointy thing at its core. Humans progressed, and did plenty of "work" when said tool was made of bone, stone, obsidian, antler tusk, copper, bronze, iron, and even high tech modern steels. Best not to overthink the tool, at the cost of the task. JMHO...

Last edited:
That's $1000 for 100 not good enough knives. A good enough knife will be only $200 max.

As big a fan as I am... Of modern metallurgical technology...
In no way am I convinced, that mankind has over-ridden his own biology. The rules of the "Mortal Coil" still apply. It's only the scenery that's changed. The "actors" are the same....

Forum List

Back