an overview of current and future wars, and how to prevent overextending ourselves (spreading ourselves too thin).

congratulations, Israelis.
but it does seem like Hamas is ready for peacetalks.

Oh yes, right, sure it is.

Just as I'm sure Japan was ready for "peacetalks" on 8 December 1941. And the moment Hitler took Warsaw, he wanted "peacetalks".

Wow, literally one of the absolutely dumbest things I have ever read in here.

Oh, and are you even aware of how pointless that would even be? Of course, if you had ever actually read the Hamas Covenant, you might be aware of that. Are you even aware that such a thing even exists?

Oh yes, right, sure it is.

Just as I'm sure Japan was ready for "peacetalks" on 8 December 1941. And the moment Hitler took Warsaw, he wanted "peacetalks".

Wow, literally one of the absolutely dumbest things I have ever read in here.

Oh, and are you even aware of how pointless that would even be? Of course, if you had ever actually read the Hamas Covenant, you might be aware of that. Are you even aware that such a thing even exists?
your comparisons are grossly exaggerated.

feel free to have your war with Hamas.
just don't say i didn't warn you when the consequences hit you.

What would an Israeli ground assault in Gaza look like? Here’s what I know from the one I saw - CNN
  1. What would an Israeli ground assault in Gaza look like? Here’s what I know from the one I saw CNN
  2. Grim prospects if Israel launches ground assault on Gaza Yahoo News
  3. Israel Defense Forces gearing up for potential all-out invasion of Gaza NBC News
  4. Airstrikes Pound Enclave as Israel Readies for Ground War in Gaza - WSJ The Wall Street Journal
  5. Velshi: Israel shutting off electricity, water in Gaza will create a 'humanitarian disaster' MSNBC
  6. View Full Coverage on Google News

Remote : Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:17:00 GMT
Local : 2023-10-10(Tuesday) 19 : 17 : 00

Found via NicerApp WebOS

Grim prospects if Israel launches ground assault on Gaza​

Didier LAURAS
Tue, October 10, 2023 at 5:47 AM GMT+2·4 min read

Hamas has been digging underground pathways to get around territory it controls (SAID KHATIB)

Hamas has been digging underground pathways to get around territory it controls (SAID KHATIB)
Israel appears likely to stage a ground assault on Gaza in response to deadly weekend attacks by Hamas, risking close-quarters fighting in densely populated areas, including in underground tunnels and around hostages.
Israel's government on Monday said it would "immediately cut (its) water supply to Gaza" as part of a "complete siege" on the Hamas-controlled territory.
Next, "Israel will launch the largest joint (air/sea/land/space) operation against Gaza in history," John Spencer, an expert at the Modern War Institute at US military academy West Point, predicted on X, formerly Twitter.
Alexander Grinberg, of the Jerusalem Institute for Strategy and Security, said that "strikes will first of all target Hamas command centres and troops, with fire coming from everywhere".
"At the same time, the army will prepare to enter Gaza," he said.
Such urban fighting will force combatants into hand-to-hand combat, reduce visibility, increase the risk of traps, blur boundaries between civilians and soldiers and render armoured vehicles next to useless.
- 'Inherent risks' -
City fighting is "a 360-degree battlefield as the threats can be all around you," said Andrew Galer, a former British army officer, now an analyst at private intelligence firm Janes.
Going house-to-house to secure potentially booby-trapped buildings means bringing in bomb disposal experts with cumbersome gear like ladders, ropes and explosives -- "possibly all while taking fire" and in the dark, he added.
And there are "inherent risks" of friendly fire given "the difficulties of situational awareness", Galer said.
"Using artillery can make the situation worse, as while it may kill some defenders, the rubble then provides them with cover".
- 'Gaza Metro' -
Gaza's roughly 2.3 million Palestinian inhabitants have been living under an Israeli blockade since 2007.
Its overcrowded, narrow web of streets is doubled underground by a dense tunnel network known to Israeli troops as the "Gaza Metro".
Gaza's 14-kilometre (nine-mile) border with Egypt was once burrowed under with hundreds of tunnels used to smuggle fighters, weapons and other contraband -- although many have now been destroyed.
But since 2014, Hamas has been digging underground pathways to get around territory it controls.
Some tunnels are as deep as 30 or 40 metres (100-130 feet) below ground, allowing militants to change position away from the danger of strikes.
Rocket batteries hidden just a few metres beneath the surface can be uncovered with a trapdoor just for the time it takes to fire a salvo.
Israel's army and intelligence are certain to know about a portion of the network, and bombarded it heavily in 2021.
But other parts remain secret and will make any Israel Defense Forces (IDF) ground operation in Gaza more difficult.
- 'Long, difficult, many losses' -
Hamas "knows its tunnels by heart," said Colin Clarke, research director at the New York-based Soufan Center think-tank.
"Some are probably booby-trapped. Preparing to fight in such terrain... would require extensive intelligence... which the Israelis may not have," he added.
Underground fighting would hand a major tactical advantage to the Hamas defenders and their leadership.
"Everyone knows it will be long and difficult, with many losses," Grinberg said, although technology such as robots could work in the assaulting forces' favour.
On the other hand, Hamas' tunnel advantage "could also turn out to be a trap," he added.
"When tunnels are found, they can be closed off to shut in the people inside. In this case, the order is likely to be for no quarter" to be given.
- 'Bring the hostages back' -
The dozens of civilian hostages Hamas seized at the weekend present another complication for the IDF.
"Israeli society wouldn't forgive it if the hostages' lives are not a priority," said Sylvaine Bulle, a sociologist studying Israel at France's National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS).
Citizens' attitude would be "you have failed to ensure our security, bring us the hostages back," she predicted -- leading to "conflicts... between politicians and the military".
The government is unable to negotiate for now, said Kobi Michael, a researcher at the Tel Aviv-based INSS think-tank.
"With all the sorrow, with all the pain... the hostage issue cannot be the first priority," he said.
"Israel will reach to the hostage issue only with the upper hand and when Hamas will be defeated and weak, not a second before," Michael added.
A Qatar-based Hamas official told AFP Monday there was "currently no chance for negotiation on the issue of prisoners or anything else".
dla/tgb/sjw/gw/lb

so it's safe to say this will be a months-long effort by the Israelis,
with known long-term consequences (namely how the Palestinians -and Iranians- will use global public opinion about the long-besieged Palestinian population to their advantage).

feel free to have your war with Hamas.

As I said, have you ever even read the Hamas Covenant? Or are you even aware that they just staged a series of attacks, including at a music festival? That over 300 were killed, over 1,000 injured, and over 200 were taken as hostages?

It is stupid and insulting that just days after that you would even bring up that they are about to surrender.

Israel and Hamas are now in a war, and it is one started entirely by Hamas itself. And most of the world will watch and cheer, as they have become sickened by the decades of attacks.

Yet here you are, trying to portray them as innocent angels apparently that have done nothing wrong. But I will say that people disgust me who pretend to be for "peace", and completely ignore absolute atrocities and believe nothing should be done in retaliation. You probably also think the world would have stayed out of WWII, as it was obviously Germany responding to an attack.

As I said, have you ever even read the Hamas Covenant? Or are you even aware that they just staged a series of attacks, including at a music festival? That over 300 were killed, over 1,000 injured, and over 200 were taken as hostages?

It is stupid and insulting that just days after that you would even bring up that they are about to surrender.

Israel and Hamas are now in a war, and it is one started entirely by Hamas itself. And most of the world will watch and cheer, as they have become sickened by the decades of attacks.

Yet here you are, trying to portray them as innocent angels apparently that have done nothing wrong. But I will say that people disgust me who pretend to be for "peace", and completely ignore absolute atrocities and believe nothing should be done in retaliation. You probably also think the world would have stayed out of WWII, as it was obviously Germany responding to an attack.

an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

that's what's behind me stating that a short reprisal by the Israelis is better than a long one.

an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Oh, you want to quote the Bible now, eh?

He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

Sorry, but to me the time of "short reprisals" is long since past, like the NSDAP before they should be eliminated. Root, leaf, and stem.

Interesting seeing you attempting to defend a group that kills tens of thousands and is now kidnapping children and other civilians.

And I will close with this:

quote-war-is-an-ugly-thing-but-not-the-ugliest-of-things-the-decayed-and-degraded-state-of-john-stuart-mill-19-92-67.jpg

Oh, you want to quote the Bible now, eh?

He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

Sorry, but to me the time of "short reprisals" is long since past, like the NSDAP before they should be eliminated. Root, leaf, and stem.

Interesting seeing you attempting to defend a group that kills tens of thousands and is now kidnapping children and other civilians.

And I will close with this:

quote-war-is-an-ugly-thing-but-not-the-ugliest-of-things-the-decayed-and-degraded-state-of-john-stuart-mill-19-92-67.jpg

ah come on. Israel is already clearly exacting a disproportionate "response" to Hamas' attacks.

Satellite images show devastation in Gaza after Israeli airstrikes - NBC News
Satellite images show devastation in Gaza after Israeli airstrikes NBC NewsView Full Coverage on Google News

Remote : Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:55:39 GMT
Local : 2023-10-10(Tuesday) 22 : 55 : 39

Found via NicerApp WebOS

and mind my words as you embark on this mission to eradicate Hamas once and for all;
  • they'll soon be replaced by an offspring organisation that also violently opposes Israelis.
  • they'll use images of their suffering children as this drags on, to turn public opinion against the Israelis.

ah come on. Israel is already clearly exacting a disproportionate "response" to Hamas' attacks.

Right, sure.

Hamas terrorists slaughtered at least 40 babies and young children — decapitating some of them — at a kibbutz near the Gaza border, shaken Israeli officials and reporters at the scene said Tuesday.

“It’s hard to even explain exactly just the mass casualties that happened right here,” visibly distraught i24 News correspondent Nicole Zedek said during a broadcast from Kibbutz Kfar Aza near Sderot about a quarter-mile from the Gaza Strip.

Thousands dead, children purposefully killed, hundreds taken hostage.

And here you are, apparently defending terrorists. Got it, you have no problem if innocents are killed, so long as they are apparently a group you do not like.

Right, sure.

Thousands dead, children purposefully killed, hundreds taken hostage.

And here you are, apparently defending terrorists. Got it, you have no problem if innocents are killed, so long as they are apparently a group you do not like.
please don't misunderstand or go twisting my words.

Hamas ‘barbarians’ deserve ‘everything coming to them’ after Israel attack: Dave Rubin
Hamas deserves “everything that is coming to them” after the Palestinian militants launched a surprise attack that has killed more than 900 Israelis, The Rubin Report host Dave Rubin says. Mr Rubin said there are “no words to describe” the images being broadcast from the Middle East.“Hamas wants everybody to see this, they want to see slaughter of innocent children,” he told Sky News Australia host Paul Murray. “If you think if anyone in Australia or in the UK or in France or in the United States or anywhere else – if you think they are going to stop if they take out those Jews in the Middle East you are crazy.” Almost 830 Palestinians have died as a result of bombings in the Gaza Strip in retaliation by Israel.

Remote : 2023-10-11(Wednesday) 06 : 50 : 15
Local : 2023-10-11(Wednesday) 06 : 50 : 15
Found via NicerApp WebOS

i fully agree with Rubin and the Israeli leadership. Hamas and by extension the Palestinian people deserve what they're currently getting.
but what i like most of all in this article is how Israel has -so far at least- managed to keep this conflict "fair" (as fair as any conflict can be resolved),
in terms of losses among their population and the population of Palestine.

people tend to underestimate the importance of maintaining a hold on morale, on that shiny city on the hill, a hold the moral highground that never lets go.
i think it's the only road to lasting peace.
the "talkers" (people who like to talk a lot), will be discussing the Israeli-Palestinian conflict for 2 hundred years after it ends at least, i predict.
last thing anyone should want is a resumption of hostilities.

Last edited:
and pro-Hamas people, pro-Palestinians, in case you're reading this too :
you shouldn't misunderstand me either.
earlier posts by me on this forum prove that i want a single large piece of land with farmland and freshwater supply arranged by the Israelis for the Palestinians.
i support the 2-state solution in an enhanced, friendlier-Israelis, way.

but, Israelis, to whom i've forwarded these posts on my facebook account (see my signature for the address),
the number of rockets increases with each tit-for-tat exchange of periodic violence between you and the Palestinians,
and i've been aware of that since this morning only.

so, maybe, now is a good time to force the Palestinians to the table, drag the surrounding countries to the table,
by "arranging" a heavy long lasting war against Hamas and Hezbollah.
clearing out weapons caches, destroying the entire tunnel system, etc.

i don't know if you want to do this,
but i'll have your back in case you do.

best of luck, to all in that region.
wars suck, but truly-endless wars, those suck the most.

please don't misunderstand or go twisting my words.

There is no twisting your words. What you say over and over is clear as day. You do not care how horribly some people act, how many they kidnap, rape, torture, or kill. Nothing should be done against them, because you have no empathy for anybody and believe that fighting against monster's like that is wrong.

It is not a new philosophy, however it is a morally bankrupt one where you place your own beliefs and feelings above anybody else. It is not a new philosophy, but it is one that is detestable. Especially when others try to shame others into believing as they do.

I do not misunderstand you at all, and I am twisting nothing. I completely understand you, and find your beliefs disgusting.

58ab655c98cbd03e9be9266f59139300.jpg

i fully agree with Rubin and the Israeli leadership. Hamas and by extension the Palestinian people deserve what they're currently getting.

And this drives home how completely bankrupt and disgusting you are. While trying to proclaim your self-righteousness you are now supporting... genocide? Societal blame that the actions of a few individuals should be placed firmly on the back of an entire peoples?

Sorry, but that kind of mindset is completely and utterly disgusting. And realize I was a careerist in the military. I find it almost laughable that I am the one having to point out how morally wrong that is. Yet, it is something you fully agree with.

As I said, your beliefs and morals are completely flexible, and have no real foundation. You would fit in perfectly in NSDAP Germany, or Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge.

how about we divide Israel and Palestine like North and South Korea? with a DMZ and all that?

Oh, my sweet summer child.

Do you not remember the times that has done before? You are apparently unaware that the UN is there right now! And has been for decades!

Why do you think I have told you so often to read the Hamas Covenant? I bet you still have not read it, and have absolutely no idea what is in it. This is what is so laughable, somebody can lay right in front of you the problem, and you refuse to take any effort to see what it actually is. You instead just scream from your pulpit how morally righteous you are, and that everybody else is wrong. Meanwhile, you have absolutely no idea what is going on because you refuse to even look.

if even "Taiwan" and the development of nuclear weapons in Iran happen at the same time, with Ukraine still in play, we'd be spread too thin. All of NATO, AUKUS, and the EU.
Ukraine is never in play as a military objective. It's a place to ship outdated junk ammunition rather than dumping it in the ocean and to throw money at to create a political issue. The USS Gerald Ford just arrived in the Mid-East and has a destructive potential greater than both sides together in WW2 and that's only one Carrier. In the event of a nuclear war there is no spread and all bets are off.

Forum List

Back