An obvious scam - but maybe not

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have a chronic problem with my vehicles: not enough garage space. With two cars, a motorcycle, a couple bicycles, and a lot of junk in my garage it's always a problem keeping things organized, especially when it's Winter and the motorcycle is just in the way. Whilst paging down Facebook the other day, I happened upon the following ad:

This thing, if it's as good as advertised, would be perfect for my use. I could roll my bike onto the dolly, then move it to the least in-the-way spot in my garage, and still be able to get it out if there's a nice day in Winter and I want to take a ride in the cold. Problem is, it should be about $600-$700, and not sixty bucks (freight included). So it's "obviously" a scam of some kind. The warning signs are there. There is a reference to Lowe's, but Lowe's wouldn't sell this product. The link to PayPal looks sketchy. And it's too good to be true.

But it's almost worth a shot...even if I lost my $60 it wouldn't be the end of the world, and if it's legit I'm getting a pretty good rack for the price of a dinner.

So the question is, if I'm willing to risk losing the purchase price, how can I ensure that they don't attack me somehow for more? And why can't I just put it on my Bank of America card, which has been very good at getting refunds for me on the rare occasions when I need help? It seems like PayPal would also be a safeguard, right?

Thoughts?

Negative highlights

The owner of the website is using a service to hide their identity on WHOIS

According to Tranco this site has a low Alexa rank

The registrar has a high % of spammers and fraud sites

This website is (very) young.

Yeah, I saw that. But if hiding one's identity was seriously proof of fraud, why would anyone incorporate?

I probably won't do it, but I'm tempted.

Yeah, I saw that. But if hiding one's identity was seriously proof of fraud, why would anyone incorporate?

I probably won't do it, but I'm tempted.

If it sounds too good to be true…..

I have a chronic problem with my vehicles: not enough garage space. With two cars, a motorcycle, a couple bicycles, and a lot of junk in my garage it's always a problem keeping things organized, especially when it's Winter and the motorcycle is just in the way. Whilst paging down Facebook the other day, I happened upon the following ad:

This thing, if it's as good as advertised, would be perfect for my use. I could roll my bike onto the dolly, then move it to the least in-the-way spot in my garage, and still be able to get it out if there's a nice day in Winter and I want to take a ride in the cold. Problem is, it should be about $600-$700, and not sixty bucks (freight included). So it's "obviously" a scam of some kind. The warning signs are there. There is a reference to Lowe's, but Lowe's wouldn't sell this product. The link to PayPal looks sketchy. And it's too good to be true.

But it's almost worth a shot...even if I lost my $60 it wouldn't be the end of the world, and if it's legit I'm getting a pretty good rack for the price of a dinner.

So the question is, if I'm willing to risk losing the purchase price, how can I ensure that they don't attack me somehow for more? And why can't I just put it on my Bank of America card, which has been very good at getting refunds for me on the rare occasions when I need help? It seems like PayPal would also be a safeguard, right?

Thoughts?
It's a scam site. Look at the address, it's not a Lowe's address.

There is a legitimate site called gardenauto.com

This site calls itself gardenuto.com

Thoughts?
You just told us. You have doubts? Nix it. You know you better than us. I agree with your conclusion, btw. Bolt. Find something better.

Forum List

Back