CDZ An idea regarding the American media

Certainly what's happening on the right is far more destructive and (what word to use, maybe "fantastical") right now, and that's the impetus for the idea. They are simply and eagerly accepting all lies and all fantasy and all conspiracies as "facts" and THEN they are expanding on THAT.

This completely contradicts the premise of your thread. You are saying in essence that the democrat controlled mainstream media is the sole arbiter of what is true and what is fantasy and anything else is conspiracy. It sounds like you are simply wanting to take that next step to big brother.

As far as destruction is concerned, BLM and ANTIFA have caused well over a billion dollars in property damage in the last year. Similar actions by the right don't even come close to that. If you are not willing to be honest in your assessments, how do you expect others to be honest?

What this country needs are more people who are NON partisan, and not extreme partisans trying to pose as non partisans while acting as the ultimate arbiter of what others should believe.

Like all Democrats, he wants a Red Chinese style police state to crack down on any critics of his beloved Cadre and his Uncle Joe, the extortionist and Wall Street suck up.

But unbiased civics tests are easily made up and easy to get consensus on. Should people who don't have a clue as to how Congress works be allowed to vote? same with those who have no idea what their Mayor's job or their City Councils' legal functions are or what state Governors do, that sort of thing.

Who gets to choose who has a clue and who doesn't? There is no such thing as unbiased politics and that's a good thing. If you want political and social conformity, suggest joining a bee hive.
Politics and journalism should not intermingle which is not what we have now in this MSM mostly left leaning opinions reported as objective journalism. I proposed to have a legal mandate for any journalist to be mandated to have their political affiliations published.

Last edited:
If you're satisfied with the way things are going, great. I'm not.
That suggests you haven't been reading my posts. I'm not satisfied... I just don't see what you are purposing will work, I offer those things as evidence.

What do you think about what I have proposed?

The blind willingness to just blame the "other sides media" with out any willingness to even look at the bias of your own preferred media choice, is why people get called commies or deplorable. The lack of critical thinking ability of a Very large percent is embarrassing. What the hell is happing to our beloved country?

No link, which undermines your credibility somewhat, but the simple fact is tRump did a shitload of negative things and Joe Biden wasn't holding any public office to be criticizes about.
The simple fact is the media has full control of the narrative and reported 95% negatively on Trump. Obama did a shitload of negative things and the media gave him an 8 year pass.

The blind willingness to just blame the "other sides media" with out any willingness to even look at the bias of your own preferred media choice, is why people get called commies or deplorable. The lack of critical thinking ability of a Very large percent is embarrassing. What the hell is happing to our beloved country?
Ironically, I'm pretty sure the media has a lot to do with it.

No link, which undermines your credibility somewhat, but the simple fact is tRump did a shitload of negative things and Joe Biden wasn't holding any public office to be criticizes about.
The simple fact is the media has full control of the narrative and reported 95% negatively on Trump. Obama did a shitload of negative things and the media gave him an 8 year pass.
What did obama do that the average American citizen would consider negative?

Other than cars for clunkers.

I wouldn't want the feds involved in this at all. I'd want to industry itself to fund and operate it. To be responsible to the public for it. ONE body that can be held accountable.

A self-regulatory body creates, maintains and enforces standards to protect its own value, its own credibility. Right now our "media" has little of that.

I'm not after perfection with this. I'm just looking for a way for our media to at least be credible again. We need to create a bottom here, quickly.
Yeah... That's already been tried with video games... See the ESRB system. If you don't know, feel free to look into that to get an idea on just how well it works.

Or if you like... Facebooks fact checking if you want a more direct comparison... It's... THIRD party.
I’m not satisfied

your side has silenced trump and will drive all conservative opinion off the public square

if you think a star chamber of liberals is going to save free speech in America you are sadly mistaken

we are headed for the darkest days of leftwing tyranny which is what you want but are too dishonest to say so

Last edited:

Rubbish. they are indeed commies, and they're trained in universities in Gramscian propaganda tactics and strategies. What do you think the BLM leaders were saying when they bragged about being 'trained Marxists'? You think they were talking about Cosmetology school? Just because the local morons don't know what they really are doesn't mean they aren't commies. Those of us who do know where their garbage comes from should indeed call them what they are.

What did obama do that the average American citizen would consider negative?
Funding terrorism and the iranian nuclear weapons program

stoking the fire of racial discord

Destroying the health insurance of 200 million Americans

and stocking the Deep State with loyal obama flunkies

I wouldn't want the feds involved in this at all. I'd want to industry itself to fund and operate it. To be responsible to the public for it. ONE body that can be held accountable.

A self-regulatory body creates, maintains and enforces standards to protect its own value, its own credibility. Right now our "media" has little of that.

I'm not after perfection with this. I'm just looking for a way for our media to at least be credible again. We need to create a bottom here, quickly.
Yeah... That's already been tried with video games... See the ESRB system. If you don't know, feel free to look into that to get an idea on just how well it works.

Or if you like... Facebooks fact checking if you want a more direct comparison... It's... THIRD party.
I’m not satisfied

your side has silenced trump and will drive all conservative opinion off the public square

if you think a star chamber of liberal is going to save free speech in America you are sadly mistaken

we are headed for the darkest days of leftwing tyranny which is what you want but are too dishonest to say so

Mac1958 wants a Big Important Government Job lording it over the peasants. He just knows he's cut out to be above the commoners. He has notes from his mom saying so.

Mac wants a Big Important Government Job lording it over the peasants.
I wonder

what Mac1958 wants is a monochrome society where no can disagree with anything he or his lib friends say

or better yet where everyone is so brainwashed they would never want to disagree because everyone thinks like him

I’m not satisfied

if you think a star chamber of liberals is going to save free speech in America you are sadly mistaken

When I saw this thread, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt in regards to his sincerity in seeking a more objective, honest and balanced mainstream media. As it turns out, this thread is just a ruse, because he does not seek a media less obviously biased, but a "ministry of truth" that cements the bias even further.

I’m not satisfied

When I saw this thread, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt in regards to his sincerity in seeking a more objective, honest and balanced mainstream media. As it turns out, this thread is just a ruse, because he does not seek a media less obviously biased, but a "ministry of truth" that cements the bias even further.
A Ministry of Truth (though privately run by liberals outside of government) is a good title for what Mac1958 wants

I’m not satisfied

All of his threads are like that, trying to pretend he's 'objective n stuff' when he never is.

I’m not satisfied

if you think a star chamber of liberal is going to save free speech in America you are sadly mistaken

Mac1958 wants a Big Important Government Job lording it over the peasants. He just knows he's cut out to be above the commoners. He has notes from his mom saying so.
I've pointed out multiple times that I don't want the government involved.

I really do try to keep this stuff simple for you guys. But I can only do so much.

Believe what you want, or what you're programmed to believe.

FaceBook, Twitter, Google

All privately owned but as leftwing partisan as anyone in the biden white house

I have a question for you

would America be better off today if romney had won the 2012 election?

FaceBook, Twitter, Google

All privately owned but as leftwing partisan as anyone in the biden white house

I have a question for you

would America be better off today if romney had won the 2012 election?
OH HELL NO. I don't care if you asked me or not... HELL... NO

This could be a pretty interesting conversation if we can stay calm and focused.

Point 1 - We have a serious and growing problem in this country with a media (across the ideological spectrum) that has (deservedly, in my opinion) lost the trust of the American people. We've all seen and contributed to threads that discuss and catalogue examples of gross bias from both ends of our media.

Point 2 - It's not a stretch to imagine a body that creates, maintains and enforces standards of journalistic integrity and accuracy, in such a way as providing guidance to consumers and provides them with more faith that what they are consuming is, indeed, accurate. Before we devolve and divide much further. I don't know about you, but I don't see a bottom to this yet. BUT I'm not fond of the idea of such a body being government-based. For many reasons.

Point 3 - There are two bodies that provide such services in the financial services industry. The first is the SEC (Securities & Exchange Commission) which is an agency of the US Federal Government. But the second one is FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) that is a private corporation that also policies the industry - but it is the industry's self-regulatory body.

Idea - Could such an industry self-regulatory body work with the press? Theoretically it could (a) maintain and enforce standards of journalistic integrity and accuracy, and (b) provide consumers with some kind of roadmap so that they can easily discern fact from opinion. As in, this is an actual news resource, that is an opinion resource.

Look, I'm not going for perfection here. I can already think of some issues with this. I'm looking for (a) some improvement and (b) the hope that such a system would gradually raise standards up to a point at which it was barely needed. THAT would be the goal.

Thoughts? And by the way, if you can think of a problem, perhaps you could also provide a possible solution to discuss. We used to do that, here, in America.

I agree that this is a serious problem and I appreciate you looking for a potential idea to solve it.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I don't think this would work. I think it could have been helpful if this was established a while back, but I think we've fallen too far at this point for this to make enough significant changes. In practice, I think people will simply turn on the agency telling them that their information isn't real.

Why does this work with the financial industry? Well, it may just be a matter of time before even that devolves into a partisan shit-fest that is everything else. It sounds stupid, but a year ago I didn't think we would become so divided over what our health officials say. Now we can't even agree on what the CDC and WHO say.

I think this may just be an inevitable consequence of our freedom of speech and freedom of the press. (And before anyone tries to accuse me of being a commie-beta-cuck-Nazi-something-something, let me throw in a disclaimer that I very much support these freedoms and have no desire to lose those) Maybe the issue isn't with the media, but with the people. Maybe this issue gets resolved by addressing people directly? But what that solution is, I have no idea. I worry that maybe there is no solution to this issue.

But hey, I appreciate the optimism and you looking for a fix. Keep'em coming.

This could be a pretty interesting conversation if we can stay calm and focused.

Point 1 - We have a serious and growing problem in this country with a media (across the ideological spectrum) that has (deservedly, in my opinion) lost the trust of the American people. We've all seen and contributed to threads that discuss and catalogue examples of gross bias from both ends of our media.

Point 2 - It's not a stretch to imagine a body that creates, maintains and enforces standards of journalistic integrity and accuracy, in such a way as providing guidance to consumers and provides them with more faith that what they are consuming is, indeed, accurate. Before we devolve and divide much further. I don't know about you, but I don't see a bottom to this yet. BUT I'm not fond of the idea of such a body being government-based. For many reasons.

Point 3 - There are two bodies that provide such services in the financial services industry. The first is the SEC (Securities & Exchange Commission) which is an agency of the US Federal Government. But the second one is FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) that is a private corporation that also policies the industry - but it is the industry's self-regulatory body.

Idea - Could such an industry self-regulatory body work with the press? Theoretically it could (a) maintain and enforce standards of journalistic integrity and accuracy, and (b) provide consumers with some kind of roadmap so that they can easily discern fact from opinion. As in, this is an actual news resource, that is an opinion resource.

Look, I'm not going for perfection here. I can already think of some issues with this. I'm looking for (a) some improvement and (b) the hope that such a system would gradually raise standards up to a point at which it was barely needed. THAT would be the goal.

Thoughts? And by the way, if you can think of a problem, perhaps you could also provide a possible solution to discuss. We used to do that, here, in America.

I agree that this is a serious problem and I appreciate you looking for a potential idea to solve it.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I don't think this would work. I think it could have been helpful if this was established a while back, but I think we've fallen too far at this point for this to make enough significant changes. In practice, I think people will simply turn on the agency telling them that their information isn't real.

Why does this work with the financial industry? Well, it may just be a matter of time before even that devolves into a partisan shit-fest that is everything else. It sounds stupid, but a year ago I didn't think we would become so divided over what our health officials say. Now we can't even agree on what the CDC and WHO say.

I think this may just be an inevitable consequence of our freedom of speech and freedom of the press. (And before anyone tries to accuse me of being a commie-beta-cuck-Nazi-something-something, let me throw in a disclaimer that I very much support these freedoms and have no desire to lose those) Maybe the issue isn't with the media, but with the people. Maybe this issue gets resolved by addressing people directly? But what that solution is, I have no idea. I worry that maybe there is no solution to this issue.

But hey, I appreciate the optimism and you looking for a fix. Keep'em coming.
Much appreciated.

This period really has put people like me in a freaking box. I've spent a lot of time in here being a crazed advocate for freedom of expression, and now we have people who are taking advantage of that freedom in the most cynical of ways. Bias, conspiracy theories and outright lies to push their professional agendas. These people somehow don't see that they're playing right into the hands of people with authoritarian worldviews.

I think most of our problems are cultural at their base, and I'd like to see this fixed culturally by raising our standards and expectations as a society. I just don't know how to get there from here.

What I am sure of is that this decay will continue if we don't try to stop it. And that will often lead to government jumping in, and I don't want that. We need ideas, collaboration and innovation to effectively deal with this (and many other issues), and it appears we have lost that skill set.

Forum List

Back