An Explanation for Why You Cannot Win

JohnDB

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2021
Trying to win a debate but can't seem to get across the threshold?
Having issues getting your points across?
Asking why people are so unreasonable that they can't understand basic logic?

Trying to win a debate but can't seem to get across the threshold?
Having issues getting your points across?
Asking why people are so unreasonable that they can't understand basic logic?

That was interesting. thanks. Everyone should at least hear/read the last part from 11:50 on..

BTW.. I wonder if George Carlin saw the irony in him talking about stupid people.. how you can think of the stupidest person you know.. how most people are even "stupider"

OK, I guess there must be such a word as Stupider.. since the red squiggly lines didn't appear. But I myself think the word Stupider sounds... stupid.. grammatically incorrect. Who knows? Maybe someone added it to some modern dictionary not realizing it was.. so stupid

That was interesting. thanks. Everyone should at least hear/read the last part from 11:50 on..

BTW.. I wonder if George Carlin saw the irony in him talking about stupid people.. how you can think of the stupidest person you know.. how most people are even "stupider"

OK, I guess there must be such a word as Stupider.. since the red squiggly lines didn't appear. But I myself think the word Stupider sounds... stupid.. grammatically incorrect. Who knows? Maybe someone added it to some modern dictionary not realizing it was.. so stupid
I think it was from the movie "War Games"....

That line :The best way to win is to not play the game"

Jordan Peterson had some incredibly interesting things to say about identifying trolls on discussion forums. I think about 80-90% of the members here qualify under his descriptions.
I enjoy having a dialog and discussion about various topics that I don't have great ideas about. I get the opportunity to learn and possibly my ideas from questions might lead to someone else creating a better idea or solution.

But with all the trolls it is difficult to discuss reasonable solutions and ideas. Lots of sewer to travel through to find the gems.

The EV is a great example. Most people travel between 20-50 miles per day if they commute to work. Obviously not all. Some like traveling further for vacations to visit family and etc.
However, the current EVs are not really good for versatility for the broad market. They are too expensive and take too long to recharge at a moments notice by comparison with an ICE vehicle. All of them are having issues with maintenance because they are all over engineered. (Windows don't work, signals break, and etc)
And if it's a British car there is no fluid to leak out. (Joke)
The battery concept is obviously a stop-gap measure for an EV...current electrical generation is insufficient in some areas (California) to even charge these cars and in areas where a natural disaster is happening the widespread use of EVs would create an even greater disaster. (People couldn't evacuate before, during, or after without assistance and be forced to leave valuables behind...causing more chaos from opportunists and thieves)

So....where I think that ALL of these challenges can be overcome with careful deliberations...all we hear is "you're an idiot to believe that "

Hey, I'm all for better gas mileage or something less expensive that can replace my truck and its utility while being dependable. But that discussion is not happening.

He steers clear of any mention on how stupid/smart can be measured.

The divide between those who believe in creation and those who believe in evolution tells the story with statistical proof.

Unfortunately, few want to know the truth that as intelligence rises in a group of highly intelligent people, belief in creation decreases.

There's really no point of having a debate to rub Christians' noses in it.

He steers clear of any mention on how stupid/smart can be measured.

The divide between those who believe in creation and those who believe in evolution tells the story with statistical proof.

Unfortunately, few want to know the truth that as intelligence rises in a group of highly intelligent people, belief in creation decreases.

There's really no point of having a debate to rub Christians' noses in it.
It was included....it was brief however.

Hey, I'm all for better gas mileage or something less expensive that can replace my truck and its utility while being dependable. But that discussion is not happening.
You don't really want to have the discussion because your politics play a bigger part than any other consideration.

These days, anything reasonable appears to be going in that direction (not happening)

morons in charge..

the more I read about EVs the less I like them, the less I WOULD like them even I could afford them.. which I likely never will

The dumbest damn people "rise to the top" like the proverbial scum

which reminds me once again of the video at.. that thread called.. something like

Why You cannot Win.. OH! I guess I am at that thread.. never mind! OK, so we can all be stupid sometimes.. I knew that. :) But actually, it was more Forgetful than Stupid.. eh?

:)

In any case.. very interesting video.. explains why you can never get dumb people to believe even facts and irrefutable information..not that I was wondering how to win over such folks. I learned a long time ago, you can't.. so I just move on when I detect moron-ness

It was included....it was brief however.
I must have missed it.
Can it be a part of this topic?
We should try to find proof for measuring intelligence/stupidity.
Not to convince any stupid people but to lead those who are in the middle and wondering which way to go.

the more I read about EVs the less I like them, the less I WOULD like them even I could afford them.. which I likely never will
Here's something to read: One of my neighbours who is an electrical engineer has solar panels on his roof and he has a plug-in EV.

You don't really want to have the discussion because your politics play a bigger part than any other consideration.
No...I really do...I'm A-Political...meaning that I do see certain aspects of both sides of the discussion as having merit. (Environmental concerns and costs including hassle and time and infrastructure) But I simply used EVs as an example...there's many more examples I could have used...I simply picked one at random.

I must have missed it.
Can it be a part of this topic?
We should try to find proof for measuring intelligence/stupidity.
Not to convince any stupid people but to lead those who are in the middle and wondering which way to go.
He discussed plasticity at length but only briefly mentioned the tools used to determine that and didn't go into depth. Where I personally would like to investigate how they determine plasticity for learning the narrator stated that after your brain has fully matured (he said age 20 but I'm thinking that it was an age where most people's brains mature almost completely) the ability for how you learn things has crystallized. New information can be learned but the methods you use to put the information together is static.

He discussed plasticity at length but only briefly mentioned the tools used to determine that and didn't go into depth. Where I personally would like to investigate how they determine plasticity for learning the narrator stated that after your brain has fully matured (he said age 20 but I'm thinking that it was an age where most people's brains mature almost completely) the ability for how you learn things has crystallized. New information can be learned but the methods you use to put the information together is static.
I think he might be right on that, because he's offered it as a part of making his point.

I really don't know how that applies to a person's ability to learn. But let's not get into an explanation that won't do it justice.

I think the creation/evolution question can serve for getting some answers here.

Do you know if 'string theory' is understood by people under 20 or is it more likely that it's understood later in life? Keeping in mind of course that the 'understanding' isn't total understanding.

*And he drives his car for free.

But he doesn't drive around for entertainment.

* with qualifications.
And I absolutely don't begrudge his choice. For him, his lifestyle fits...more power to him for doing so.
But I like driving. Cross country trips are a major part of my life and lifestyle. I live in Nashville but enjoy trips to Chicago, St Louis and Gulf Coast states and even out west. I'm looking currently at trying to obtain some machine shop equipment... I am likely going to have to rent and drive a large truck or get a trailer to haul whatever machine I find for sale....each weighs a metric ton and are rather fragile...so I'd rather do the hauling myself.
Currently there is no other way to do this affordably and conveniently without an ICE vehicle. (My PU truck)

If there was....I'd probably do so.

And I absolutely don't begrudge his choice. For him, his lifestyle fits...more power to him for doing so.
But I like driving. Cross country trips are a major part of my life and lifestyle. I live in Nashville but enjoy trips to Chicago, St Louis and Gulf Coast states and even out west. I'm looking currently at trying to obtain some machine shop equipment... I am likely going to have to rent and drive a large truck or get a trailer to haul whatever machine I find for sale....each weighs a metric ton and are rather fragile...so I'd rather do the hauling myself.
Currently there is no other way to do this affordably and conveniently without an ICE vehicle. (My PU truck)

If there was....I'd probably do so.
Have it delivered. They have insurance.
Calculate the comparable costs and don't forget to add in the future costs of hauling very heavy equipment.

Or you can get around that question by saying that you plan to haul a very big 5th. wheel trailer.

Forum List

Back