An Early Childhood Lesson -

- that will likely remain unlearned due to the adults' reactions.

Parents outraged after school police handcuffed 7-year-old boy
Billy, a vignette of yesteryear compared to today: My middle uncle, that I grew up with (about 10 yrs older than me) was one of those class cutups and disturbers looking for attention. Upon receiving a note from his teacher about his unruliness, my grandfather cut up a rubber hose and sent it with my uncle to his teacher, along with a note that told her that she has his permission to use it if necessary, and if she did use it to please send a note home to him because he had a piece just like it and would also use it at home if she needed to use it at the school. Amazing it was, how good a student my uncle became, overnight even.

Well, if he was 12 or 13, then it would be teaching him a lesson perhaps, but at 7 years old, he is just practically a baby still, so no, I don't think it's right to handcuff babies to try to teach them "lessons." There are better and more appropriate ways to teach lessons at that age.

If the child DID repeatedly punch a teacher, handcuffing him is a minor thing. He needs a good old fashioned ass whooping. Now that would teach him a lesson he won't forget.

Lack of disciple in our government schools, is a major problem that impedes learning.

If the child DID repeatedly punch a teacher, handcuffing him is a minor thing. He needs a good old fashioned ass whooping. Now that would teach him a lesson he won't forget.

Lack of disciple in our government schools, is a major problem that impedes learning.

If the child was getting discipline at home, then the school wouldn't need to "discipline" him. He should be expelled from school until his parents can get him under control. Nowadays, we have "special" schools for children who can't seem to get by in a regular classroom environment, where the teachers are trained on how to properly restrain aggressive students.

Well, if he was 12 or 13, then it would be teaching him a lesson perhaps, but at 7 years old, he is just practically a baby still, so no, I don't think it's right to handcuff babies to try to teach them "lessons." There are better and more appropriate ways to teach lessons at that age.

They learn at a very simple level. "Violent misbehavior = handcuffs and embarrassment, or worse".

We live in a violent age, with few disciplinary actions taken by the schools. Ergo, others must act.

Hell, I got whupped on the back of the legs with a map pointer in class at that age just for not knowing my multiplication tables forwards and backwards.

You can bet I knew them the next day. :laugh:

They learn at a very simple level. "Violent misbehavior = handcuffs and embarrassment, or worse".

We live in a violent age, with few disciplinary actions taken by the schools. Ergo, others must act.

Hell, I got whupped on the back of the legs with a map pointer in class at that age just for not knowing my multiplication tables forwards and backwards.

Or the kids will think it's cool that he was put in handcuffs. Who knows.

If the child was getting discipline at home, then the school wouldn't need to "discipline" him. He should be expelled from school until his parents can get him under control. Nowadays, we have "special" schools for children who can't seem to get by in a regular classroom environment, where the teachers are trained on how to properly restrain aggressive students.
Any kid who physically attacks a teacher, is clearly NOT getting discipline at home.

The kid's parents are the problem. That said, the kid still needs a good old fashioned whooping.

Or the kids will think it's cool that he was put in handcuffs. Who knows.

Another problem that needs a remedy. The culture idolizes criminal behavior.

I had a government school teacher in second grade, who looked like she was born in the 19th century.

If you acted up, you were called to the front of the class and told to hold out your hands palms up. She then whacked them with a hardwood ruler. I can clearly state that students in her class, rarely acted up. We learned instead.

If a government school teacher did that today, she would likely be imprisoned for child abuse.

I had a government school teacher in second grade, who looked like she was born in the 19th century.

If you acted up, you were called to the front of the class and told to hold out your hands palms up. She then whacked them with a hardwood ruler. I can clearly state that students in her class, rarely acted up. We learned instead.

If a government school teacher did that today, she would likely be imprisoned for child abuse.

Corporal punishment is illegal now and has been for a very long time, since the time before I even started school.

Why would you want to give a teacher a pass to abuse a child? Some teachers are sickos and are out there sexually molesting and abusing kids now. Imagine how they could take advantage of such a situation? I would be bullshit if any teacher ever laid a hand on my child in such a way. If you have a problem with my kid, then you call me, and I will deal with him.

Corporal punishment is illegal now and has been for a very long time, since the time before I even started school.

And the results of such a boneheaded decision are clear.

BTW, 19 states still permit corporal punishment.

Why would you want to give a teacher a pass to abuse a child? Some teachers are sickos and are out there sexually molesting and abusing kids now. Imagine how they could take advantage of such a situation? I would be bullshit if any teacher ever laid a hand on my child in such a way. If you have a problem with my kid, then you call me, and I will deal with him.
The thing is parents today are not disciplining their children. Teachers can't do it either. The result is bedlam in many of our government schools, which results in very little learning.

My children NEVER walked the halls of a government school. This is something I am most proud of.

There is abuse, and then there is discipline. They are not relative.

And the results of such a boneheaded decision are clear.

BTW, 19 states still permit corporal punishment.

So you would be okay if a teacher decided YOUR child needed a spanking? Well, I don't really want anyone (except for maybe my parents) to be putting their hands on my child.

Well, hitting the 7-year-old child of someone else is kind of abuse to me! I would never put my hands on someone else's child. I would rather they do the cop thing and put him in handcuffs!

Back in my day, the paddle was still used by the principle. In one of the schools I attended, the principle proudly displayed that paddle in the hallway for all the kids to see. It was large and had holes drilled in it so he could swing it faster. It was a scary reminder to all of us, you better not act up and most of us rarely did. If we did, we didn't do it again.

Back in my day, the paddle was still used by the principle. In one of the schools I attended, the principle proudly displayed that paddle in the hallway for all the kids to see. It was large and had holes drilled in it so he could swing it faster. It was a scary reminder to all of us, you better not act up and most of us rarely did. If we did, we didn't do it again.

I've had teachers that would throw things, yell at us, etc, but never actually hit us. I've also had teachers who I would certainly not want making "punishment" decisions for my child.

Well, hitting the 7-year-old child of someone else is kind of abuse to me! I would never put my hands on someone else's child. I would rather they do the cop thing and put him in handcuffs!
I can't agree.

School should be for learning. If a kid prevents learning by acting up, I say the school has every right to discipline the child. Of course, the discipline can't be unjust or sadistic. A child learns from discipline and likely won't disrupt the classroom again.

Forum List

Back