America's Ugliest Accent Contest

Rikurzhen

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2014
Gawker is running a contest to find America's ugliest accent. Notice the prominent exclusion of various African, Hispanic, Asian and European immigrant accents. If white people can be made fun of, why not everyone else?

txrh0or1lpcxuw2mrayn.png

Gawker is running a contest to find America's ugliest accent. Notice the prominent exclusion of various African, Hispanic, Asian and European immigrant accents. If white people can be made fun of, why not everyone else?

I'm not sure why you find this offensive. They are talking about regional accents, not racial or ethnic ones, so why would those be included?

Indeed. How do you feel about it, though, Rikurzhen? Naturally I speak as an outsider (although I've visited twelve times), but it seems to me that a pattern has appeared on both sides of the Atlantic: Anglo culture has given too much ground.

It seems to be a cultural sickness at work, a sense of fairness. That Anglo notion of "fair play." The WASP elite voluntarily gave ground to include others but those others don't play by the same rules of fair play. How many WASPs are on the Supreme Court? Look at the Jewish domination of the Ivy League. I had a long post on that.

Noblesse oblige was far, far more prevalent under WASP rule than what now constitutes our elite class, where the focus seems to be on cosmopolitanism, a greater allegiance to their class comrades around the world than to American classes underneath them.

It's one thing to disarm when everyone is also disarming, but to unilaterally disarm when your opponents won't is madness. To forgo ethnic or class interest in terms of furthering a great good, a more inclusive society, is madness when everyone else is playing to strengthen their ethnic or racial interests.

I'm not sure why you find this offensive. They are talking about regional accents, not racial or ethnic ones, so why would those be included?

An accent is an accent. Regional accents are only one way in which accents develop.

Indeed. How do you feel about it, though, Rikurzhen? Naturally I speak as an outsider (although I've visited twelve times), but it seems to me that a pattern has appeared on both sides of the Atlantic: Anglo culture has given too much ground.

It seems to be a cultural sickness at work, a sense of fairness. That Anglo notion of "fair play." The WASP elite voluntarily gave ground to include others but those others don't play by the same rules of fair play. How many WASPs are on the Supreme Court? Look at the Jewish domination of the Ivy League. I had a long post on that.

Noblesse oblige was far, far more prevalent under WASP rule than what now constitutes our elite class, where the focus seems to be on cosmopolitanism, a greater allegiance to their class comrades around the world than to American classes underneath them.

It's one thing to disarm when everyone is also disarming, but to unilaterally disarm when your opponents won't is madness. To forgo ethnic or class interest in terms of furthering a great good, a more inclusive society, is madness when everyone else is playing to strengthen their ethnic or racial interests.

Couldn't agree more. But, in your opinion, how do think the WASP surrender of cultural and institutional dominance in the United States was achieved/induced?

Couldn't agree more. But, in your opinion, how do think the WASP surrender of cultural and institutional dominance in the United States was achieved/induced?

You don't need anything else but unilateral disarmament. Everyone else keeps ethnic networking alive and you subscribe to the "best man for the job" ethos and you may as well bring down the curtain.

And you got all of this from a game on Gawker?

Forum List

Back