Americans I have a question for you how do you identify ancestrywise and why?

I don't identify ancestrywise. Mortimer, why are you so infatuated with the superficial? I expect you any time now to post a picture of you ass asking if the pants you are wearing make your butt look big.

Lets say you are 1/2 British 1/2 German why do you identify as one or the other? Or if you are 1/4 Italian, 1/4 Slovak, 1/4 German, 1/4 Scottish. What do you identify as and why?

I identify as American and Southern. My family's been in this country for anywhere from 1 to 2 centuries. We have no obvious cultural ties to the country our ancestors came from by this point.

For the record, I had a DNA heritage test done, and I'm 75% British, 20% Scandinavian, and the 5% miscellaneous trace DNA that all people have.

What would you identify as? I believe most would go by their Fathers identity.

I suspect that one would identify with whichever culture was most prevalent during their upbringing. My husband is half-Chinese. He identifies as an American who happens to be Chinese, because his mother (from Taiwan) was determined that her children would be American and didn't raise them with any cultural elements from her homeland.

Our son, who is 1/4 Chinese, marks both Asian and White on official forms asking for his race, but identifies as American and sort-of Southern, as those were the only cultural heritages my husband and I really had to teach him.

I dont know what just American is, or if it exists as ethnicity or race but it might become one. When someone says "Im just American" maybe he means he is this guy and looks like that with ancestries in the 1% of everything.

a6475bbc96d0eb5ac1edf5e19af9290a.jpg

American is not an ethnicity, but it most definitely is a culture. We are not always aware of how our language, attitudes, and behaviors are different from other countries (because most Americans don't travel much outside their own country), but people from other countries definitely notice.

I do wonder how my youngest granddaughter will identify when she gets older. She's white on my daughter's side, obviously, and her father was black, white, and Mexican. The most you can say by looking at her is that she's exotic (and beautiful, if I do say so myself).

According to my DNA profile I'm 86.7% English. Add a little bit of Irish and French, so I could identify as Western European. Is your surname common? I thought (and was told by my parents) that my surname was English. When I first went to stay in England I found out it wasn't a common name at all there. It is Prussian by definition and possibly originated from a Latvian word for Spruce.

My surname is serbian.

I’m adopted. I can’t trace my ancestry back even 1 generation. I’ve been told I am part Souix, part Scots-Irish, English, and Swedish. I know little about those cultures, so I just identify as American, and follow typical American traditions.

Forum List

Back