American Senior Citizens need to Stand Up

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
I just hit the point in my life where I sign up for Medicare. OMG! OMFG!! What a complicated, arcane, intricate, expensive web! I've reviewed Limited Partnership Agreements that were less complicated. It doesn't even pretend to be user friendly! It's geared to be confusing and frustrating -- and relatively expensive considering most people have paid into the system for 40+ years.

People illegally immigrating to the USA are treated with great respect and deference.

It's time for Seniors to unite, demand fairer treatment, simplicity and respect.

Social Security used to be the "third rail" of politics. A politician could not talk about touching it without ending their career. However, like all of our Liberties and Freedoms, it has been degraded and depreciated through the years. Bill Clinton started TAXING our benefits. What the fuck? 100% of all Social Security should always be Tax free!

Take Medicare AND Social Security! Congratulations, your Social Security gets reduced by Medicare expenses! You paid in your entire life and now you pay again and again.

Why is this OK? Why do we not demand friendly reform of these systems? Fairer, cheaper, easier to use. Any abuse punished by hanging from the Palazzo Vecchio....maybe a little much, but how and why do retirees put up with this?

I just hit the point in my life where I sign up for Medicare. OMG! OMFG!! What a complicated, arcane, intricate, expensive web! I've reviewed Limited Partnership Agreements that were less complicated. It doesn't even pretend to be user friendly! It's geared to be confusing and frustrating -- and relatively expensive considering most people have paid into the system for 40+ years.

People illegally immigrating to the USA are treated with great respect and deference.

It's time for Seniors to unite, demand fairer treatment, simplicity and respect.

Social Security used to be the "third rail" of politics. A politician could not talk about touching it without ending their career. However, like all of our Liberties and Freedoms, it has been degraded and depreciated through the years. Bill Clinton started TAXING our benefits. What the fuck? 100% of all Social Security should always be Tax free!

Take Medicare AND Social Security! Congratulations, your Social Security gets reduced by Medicare expenses! You paid in your entire life and now you pay again and again.

Why is this OK? Why do we not demand friendly reform of these systems? Fairer, cheaper, easier to use. Any abuse punished by hanging from the Palazzo Vecchio....maybe a little much, but how and why do retirees put up with this?

"People illegally immigrating to the USA are treated with great respect and deference."

They don't get Medicare!

You signed up for Medicare! I'm a bit surprised. When I turned 65 I got the card in the mail. I was already signed up.

1639251884064.png

What was once a benefit reserved for senior citizens and those with extreme disabilities is now a catch all for any reason not to work or try to make a living for yourself.

Now it's just a governmental...

*****SMILE*****

:)

...scheme were those at the top in government are the only ones it benefits.

View attachment 574587

What was once a benefit reserved for senior citizens and those with extreme disabilities is now a catch all for any reason not to work or try to make a living for yourself.

Now it's just a governmental...

*****SMILE*****

:)

...scheme were those at the top in government are the only ones it benefits.

The states make people pay for Medicaid unless they are children.

You signed up for Medicare! I'm a bit surprised. When I turned 65 I got the card in the mail. I was already signed up.

I wonder if the OP was talking about the Medicare Advantage programs that you have to pay for to get supplemental insurance for what Medicare doesn't cover or fully pay for.

Actually, I think ALL Americans should stand up and protest the bullshit that goes on today in Washington.

I'm almost to the point I'm going to need medicare/medicaid.
My insurance is now refusing to cover TWO of my needed diabetic medications. I cannot afford over $1000.00 for two fucking prescriptions!!!! They are tiny fucking pills made out of cheap chemicals.....not fucking Palladium nuggets!!!

I mean, fuck! I'm PAYING for fucking INSURANCE......WHY IS IT NOT DOING WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO FUCKING DO!!!

I think you better check your facts about who started taxing ss.

A little info for op

The taxation of Social Security began in 1984 following passage of a set of Amendments in 1983, which were signed into law by President Reagan in April 1983. These amendments passed the Congress in 1983 on an overwhelmingly bi-partisan vote.

The basic rule put in place was that up to 50% of Social Security benefits could be added to taxable income, if the taxpayer's total income exceeded certain thresholds.

The taxation of benefits was a proposal which came from the Greenspan Commission appointed by President Reagan and chaired by Alan Greenspan (who went on to later become the Chairman of the Federal Reserve).

The full text of the Greenspan Commission report is available on our website.

President's Reagan's signing statement for the 1983 Amendments can also be found on our website.

A detailed explanation of the provisions of the 1983 law is also available on the website.

Q4. Which political party increased the taxes on Social Security annuities?

A4.
In 1993, legislation was enacted which had the effect of increasing the tax put in place under the 1983 law. It raised from 50% to 85% the portion of Social Security benefits subject to taxation; but the increased percentage only applied to "higher income" beneficiaries. Beneficiaries of modest incomes might still be subject to the 50% rate, or to no taxation at all, depending on their overall taxable income.

This change in the tax rate was one provision in a massive Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (OBRA) passed that year. The OBRA 1993 legislation was deadlocked in the Senate on a tie vote of 50-50 and Vice President Al Gore cast the deciding vote in favor of passage. President Clinton signed the bill into law on August 10, 1993.

(You can find a brief historical summary of the development of taxation of Social Security benefits on the Social Security website.)

Q5. Which political party decided to start giving annuity payments to immigrants?

A5.
Neither immigrants nor anyone else is able to collect Social Security benefits without someone paying Social Security payroll taxes into the system. The conditions under which Social Security benefits are payable, and to whom, can be found in the pamphlets available on our website.

The question confuses the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program with Social Security. SSI is a federal welfare program and no contributions, from immigrants or citizens or anyone else, is required for eligibility. Under certain conditions, immigrants can qualify for SSI benefits. The SSI program was an initiative of the Nixon Administration and was signed into law by President Nixon on October 30, 1972.

An explanation of the basics of Social Security, and the distinction between Social Security and SSI, can be found on the Social Security website.

I wonder if the OP was talking about the Medicare Advantage programs that you have to pay for to get supplemental insurance for what Medicare doesn't cover or fully pay for.

Actually, I think ALL Americans should stand up and protest the bullshit that goes on today in Washington.
No. If you have Medicare about $150 (around about that much) is taken from your monthly SS payment to pay for Medicare. The Advantage plans are an additional cost for most. I have an Advantage plan that (so far) costs me nothing but it's almost the same copay setup as Medicare except I get Dental with it.
Since I almost exclusively use the VA I probably should do what Moonglow did and drop Medicare.

Programs that shouldn’t exist to begin with. Programs I will not take the benefits of, if I even live long enough to qualify.

It's like that scene from the movie Goldfinger. Bond asks Goldfinger if he expects him to talk, to which the arch villain replies, "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die." Which about sums up what our government expects from senior citizens.

goldfinger.jpg

Forum List

Back