American killed by bow and arrow trying to visit forbidden North Sentinel Island...

American killed by bow and arrow-wielding tribe while trying to visit remote Indian island

An American tourist trying to visit a lush, remote island in India has been killed by a tribe completely cut off from the outside world and known to attack outsiders with bows and arrows, police revealed Wednesday.

Indian officials have identified the victim as John Allen Chau, 27. They added that he was illegally ferried by fishermen to North Sentinel Island last week, part of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a group of islands in the Bay of Bengal between India and Burma.

“Adventure awaits. So do leeches,” read the final post on his Instagram account, dated Nov. 2. On his Facebook profile, Chau described himself as a “soccer coach, traveller, and writer.” He often posted images of his worldwide exploits online, such as hikes in Washington state and prior trips to India.

Dependera Pathak, director-general of police on India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands, told the Associated Press that Chau arrived in the region on Oct. 16 and stayed in a hotel while he prepared to visit the prohibited island.

He said Chau organized his visit to the island through a friend who hired seven fishermen for $325 to take him there on a boat, which also towed his kayak.

Chau went ashore in his kayak on Nov. 15 and sent the boat with the fishermen out to sea to avoid detection, Pathak said. He interacted with some of the tribespeople, giving them gifts he had prepared such as a football and fish. But the tribespeople became angry and shot an arrow at him which apparently hit a book he was carrying, Pathak said.

The American's kayak became damaged, so he swam to the fishermen's boat, which was waiting at a prearranged location. There he spent the night and wrote out his experiences on pages of paper which he gave to the fishermen, Pathak said.

In one of the notes handed over, according to the New York Times, Chau wrote about Jesus bestowing him with the strength to visit some of the most forbidden places on Earth.

Chau then set off for the island again the following day. Sources who spoke to AFP though said once he set foot on shore, he was “attacked by arrows but he continued walking.

“The fishermen saw the tribals tying a rope around his neck and dragging his body,” one source added.

Following Chau's death, the fishermen left for Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, where they informed Chau's friend, who notified his family, Pathak said.

He said the family got in touch with Indian police and U.S. consular officials.

"It was a case of misdirected adventure," he added.

The body, according to Reuters, has not yet been recovered as of Wednesday, and those who took him to the island are said to have been arrested.

"The investigation in this matter is on," senior police officer Deepak Yadav said, announcing that the seven fishermen have been taken into custody.

Did this dummy spend even five minutes Googling "North Sentinel Island" before going on his "adventure"? Turns out they don't like visitors.

What kind of dumbass would go back the next day? I'm thinking he's probably Asian with a name like Chau.
He was an evangelical missionary. What now?

American killed by bow and arrow-wielding tribe while trying to visit remote Indian island

An American tourist trying to visit a lush, remote island in India has been killed by a tribe completely cut off from the outside world and known to attack outsiders with bows and arrows, police revealed Wednesday.

Indian officials have identified the victim as John Allen Chau, 27. They added that he was illegally ferried by fishermen to North Sentinel Island last week, part of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a group of islands in the Bay of Bengal between India and Burma.

“Adventure awaits. So do leeches,” read the final post on his Instagram account, dated Nov. 2. On his Facebook profile, Chau described himself as a “soccer coach, traveller, and writer.” He often posted images of his worldwide exploits online, such as hikes in Washington state and prior trips to India.

Dependera Pathak, director-general of police on India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands, told the Associated Press that Chau arrived in the region on Oct. 16 and stayed in a hotel while he prepared to visit the prohibited island.

He said Chau organized his visit to the island through a friend who hired seven fishermen for $325 to take him there on a boat, which also towed his kayak.

Chau went ashore in his kayak on Nov. 15 and sent the boat with the fishermen out to sea to avoid detection, Pathak said. He interacted with some of the tribespeople, giving them gifts he had prepared such as a football and fish. But the tribespeople became angry and shot an arrow at him which apparently hit a book he was carrying, Pathak said.

The American's kayak became damaged, so he swam to the fishermen's boat, which was waiting at a prearranged location. There he spent the night and wrote out his experiences on pages of paper which he gave to the fishermen, Pathak said.

In one of the notes handed over, according to the New York Times, Chau wrote about Jesus bestowing him with the strength to visit some of the most forbidden places on Earth.

Chau then set off for the island again the following day. Sources who spoke to AFP though said once he set foot on shore, he was “attacked by arrows but he continued walking.

“The fishermen saw the tribals tying a rope around his neck and dragging his body,” one source added.

Following Chau's death, the fishermen left for Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, where they informed Chau's friend, who notified his family, Pathak said.

The body, according to Reuters, has not yet been recovered as of Wednesday, and those who took him to the island are said to have been arrested.

"The investigation in this matter is on," senior police officer Deepak Yadav said, announcing that the seven fishermen have been taken into custody.

Did this dummy spend even five minutes Googling "North Sentinel Island" before going on his "adventure"? Turns out they don't like visitors.

What kind of dumbass would go back the next day? I'm thinking he's probably Asian with a name like Chau.
He was an evangelical missionary. What now?
Nothing, he's dead. Lets move along.

Oh my God....another member of the Timothy Treadwell family.

Jo

Misguided youth.

1_BLP__MDG-John-Allen-Chau-4709JPG.jpg

Check out their Longbow:

The-Sentinelese-tribe.jpg

They are not playing around, that is a heavy-duty bow.

First picture of tourist killed on North Sentinel Island by uncontacted tribe

Shit yes.... I'll bet it's got 100 to 120 pound pull.

Jo

Genocide is intentional action to destroy a people (usually defined as an ethnic, national, racial, or religious group) in whole or in part.

Genocide - Wikipedia

Germs from Mr Chau can wipe out the entire tribe. This guy planned and researched his trip for months in advance. Are you saying that during all his research effort, he never bothered to find out why the entry to this island was prohibited? If so, what is the basis for your conclusion?

Your own post defines genocide as intentional.

That doesn’t mean intent is proven just because someone was aware of the risk.

We know his intent was to make contact with the tribe people.

There is zero reason to believe that the intent of the contact was to commit genocide.

You are side stepping the issue.

Was he aware of the reason behind declaring this island a restricted area? If answer is yes, then he intentionally attempted the genocide of Sentinelese tribe.

You’re trying to redefine what intent is.

He intentionally violated Indian laws.

He did not intentionally try to kill a people in whole or in part.

The redefining of terms is often used by the left to convince people of their lies.

You have zero evidence or information that suggests he had any intention to do harm to those people.

He was almost undoubtedly aware of the risks involved with making contact with those people but he was likely of the belief that he wouldn’t transmit any deadly diseases to them.

From what information we have, his intentions were to simply make contact and possibly introduce the people to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
He went there knowing he could kill all of them. How much intent do you need ?
Horse shit. He was most likely inoculated against all thesuperbugs mankind has encountered heretofore; not to mention your lack of curiosity as to the diseases he might contract from “them”. It’s a bullshit argument barely worthy of comment. But in your case I’ll make an exception...
Perhaps you could provide a list of the jabs he had and another list of the diseases these tribesmen could give him ?

The main concern here is that the missionary was carrying germs that can kill the entire tribe. So this was a genocide mission not a religious mission. I am hoping that the tribe has not contracted any germs from this missionary. We will know in few days if the tribe starts to fall ill; if that happens the church which sponsored this trip should be held responsible for genocide.
Its not fuking complicated is it ?

US government should take action against the church which sponsored this trip. At the very least, it was an attempted genocide.

First, no church sponsored this mission to my knowledge. The guy went it alone, which is not exactly missional. Problem number one. Second, the use of "genocidal" is overstated. And dramatic.

There's your education part one.
His germs could have wiped them out. What term would you use ?
Have you ever seen the movie, "Medicine Man?" One man wiped out an entire tribe by bringing germs to them. ONE man! This one could still have infected the tribe even after he was dead because it was reported that they buried his body on the beach which means they would have had to touched him. I guess time will tell for them but I hope they didn't come in contact with any lethal germs that he had.
Also, for those calling this murder, they did give him a warning on the first day. They shot his bible instead of him, but he chose to go back in spite of it.

What I wonder, and this is kind of off topic....is how they reproduce. They must be inbred a lot if there are so few of them on that island. That in itself would be a fascinating study.

I think the guy was a dimwit.

All wide eyed and bushy tailed.

Like the Mormon dudes who come over to Europe, trying to convert everyone.
If you tell them you are of the Jewish faith they turn and walk away. Its like kryptonite.

Yes, you'd just have to bring the Jews into it.

Such rational critical thought. :desk:

I told them I was a Jew, and it didn't stop them.
Might have been Jehovahs. Arent those cults all the same ?

They're VERY persistent! Even when you tell them you're not interested, they will still keep coming back again and again. They're job is to go out and "witness" and they do it over and over again.

SweetSue92 said:
That some nations have different laws does not make moral truths less true.
I'm Not Saying
"Who are we to say their values are not equally valid to our own"
I Don't Agree That They Are
I'm Saying They Are Not Under Our Jurisprudence.

Are We Saying We Need To Imperialize, Invade And Conquer
Just To Make Things There More To Our Liking Here ??

This Is Why We Live Here, And They Live There
This Is What A World With Borders Are For
Self Determination

The Posters Here Outraged By This Man's Demise
Sound As Though There's A Tyrant Within Them,
Screaming To Get Out
And I Don't Want Them To Rule Over Me, Either

cwise76 said:
I look at it like the island is their house and he repeatedly broke into to it. What a fucking dip shit
It's Almost 25mi Out To Sea
From The Nearest Town
Over 300mi Out To Sea
From The Nearest Continental Land Mass
He Went Out Of His Way To Mess With Them
--- Repeatedly

He Probably Knew All About Them
That's Why He Went
Just Like These Idiots
That Think They Have A Special Understanding Or Connection
To Certain Dangerous Wild Animals
They Almost Always Wind Up Dead Too

Last edited:
Death Angel said:
Do you feel the same if an innocent American walked into a Muslim "no-go" zone? Yes, they exist. Would you excuse them murdering an American because he should know the risk?
Really Poor Example
What Are The Laws In Said Nation

It's Not About Feels
It's About The Law

And The Law Has The Final Word

Last edited:
SweetSue92 said:
That some nations have different laws does not make moral truths less true.
I'm Not Saying
"Who are we to say their values are not equally valid to our own"
I Don't Agree That They Are
I'm Saying They Are Not Under Our Jurisprudence.

Are We Saying We Need To Imperialize, Invade And Conquer
Just To Make Things There More To Our Liking Here ??

This Is Why We Live Here, And They Live There
This Is What A World With Borders Are For
Self Determination

The Posters Here Outraged By This Man's Demise
Sound As Though There's A Tyrant Within Them,
Screaming To Get Out
And I Don't Want Them To Rule Over Me, Either

Please note that I only made one assertion and that's it--that nations have different laws doesn't mean that there aren't moral truths. That's it. That's all I said.

I do not romanticize those who live primitively like society has brainwashed people to do. I do not think people who dig a hole in the ground with a stick and poop in it are necessarily better off just because they live "closer to the land". I don't think they get along better, have better values, live simpler lives, and all the other things that have been overlaid on them by modern Leftists.

But like you, I don't think that means we have a right to colonize their land, either. If they choose to live naked and poop in holes, hey. More power to them. Me, I prefer flush toilets and clothing. Not to mention this device and my smartphone. But they can do life their way, and we can do life our way. Room for both. No tyranny required.

Your own post defines genocide as intentional.

That doesn’t mean intent is proven just because someone was aware of the risk.

We know his intent was to make contact with the tribe people.

There is zero reason to believe that the intent of the contact was to commit genocide.

Was he aware of the reason behind declaring this island a restricted area? If answer is yes, then he intentionally attempted the genocide of Sentinelese tribe.

The redefining of terms is often used by the left to convince people of their lies.

You have zero evidence or information that suggests he had any intention to do harm to those people.

He was almost undoubtedly aware of the risks involved with making contact with those people but he was likely of the belief that he wouldn’t transmit any deadly diseases to them.

From what information we have, his intentions were to simply make contact and possibly introduce the people to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Horse shit. He was most likely inoculated against all thesuperbugs mankind has encountered heretofore; not to mention your lack of curiosity as to the diseases he might contract from “them”. It’s a bullshit argument barely worthy of comment. But in your case I’ll make an exception...
Perhaps you could provide a list of the jabs he had and another list of the diseases these tribesmen could give him ?
what difference would it make? this island is a unique situation and not some potential tourist spot. this dude knew full well he could get killed doing what he was doing and hey - he was right. score one for him in the end.

if you go play in traffic during rush hour, odds are you're going to get hit. so best advice i have is don't do that. if you go to this island you're going to die, so; don't do that.

we have no idea what havoc we could create by forcing our ways on them. why should we anyway? they are doing fine on their own and seem happy. leave 'em alone and stop trying to force them into world they obviously don't wish to be a part of. there are days i look around and i wish i could find some island and get away from mankind's stupidity.

he was stupid, he died. end of story.

what difference would it make? this island is a unique situation and not some potential tourist spot. this dude knew full well he could get killed doing what he was doing and hey - he was right. score one for him in the end.

if you go play in traffic during rush hour, odds are you're going to get hit. so best advice i have is don't do that. if you go to this island you're going to die, so; don't do that.

we have no idea what havoc we could create by forcing our ways on them. why should we anyway? they are doing fine on their own and seem happy. leave 'em alone and stop trying to force them into world they obviously don't wish to be a part of. there are days i look around and i wish i could find some island and get away from mankind's stupidity.

There are plenty more like him. Delusional and superior.

i'll be glad when this "fad" is over and we migrate to a "live and let live" stance we used to have.

i'll be glad when this "fad" is over and we migrate to a "live and let live" stance we used to have.

I missed the tiny slice of history where mankind lived with a "live and let live" attitude. Seems we've always been "up in each others' grills"....to use a vernacular.

Haven't we?

I missed the tiny slice of history where mankind lived with a "live and let live" attitude. Seems we've always been "up in each others' grills"....to use a vernacular.

Haven't we?

Yes! lol.

Always poking our noses in other people's business. This talkboard is a microscosm of all that.

Haven't we?

Yes! lol.

Always poking our noses in other people's business. This talkboard is a microscosm of all that.

Nah. Talking is just talking. It's like leaning your arms over the fencepost and jawing about this and that--harmless. Now, reporting, especially over-reporting, starts to be managing. And beyond that is beyond the pale.

For what it's worth: John All Chau might have been an explorer and thought he was on a mission or whatnot, but he was no missionary in any Christian sense or Scriptural sense. He had no sending organization. And the sending organization is very important.

Please note that there were no missionaries from sending organizations on that island. Rest assured there's a very good reason for that.

Forum List

Back