All the President's Debt

Not really. Trump has hidden a lot of his debt from public view, obfuscated when asked about his massive debt, and is clearly not that great a businessman....having filed for bankruptcy multiple times.

Forbes brought some of the debt into sharp focus in a recent article:

Yes...over $1B in debt is owed by Trump. And that is just what the experts at Forbes can find from the public disclosures which are murky at best. Murky by design no doubt. The multiple lenders (Deutsch, Ladder Financial, etc...) own most of his ass. But that's quite a bit of ass to own...there are a lot of harpoons in the whale.

Here are the top debts that he owes as described in the article....

View attachment 403160View attachment 403161View attachment 403162View attachment 403163View attachment 403164View attachment 403165View attachment 403166View attachment 403167View attachment 403168
The average home owner owes 80% of the value of their home. So if the home is valued at 300K and they buy it at 300K, they likely owe 240K for the home. Are they in debt? Yes, they owe 240K so they are in debt for 240K....but they have 300K in assets meaning they are above water for 60K. So they are not actually in debt. They are leveraging. That is how it works.
Furthermore, thanks to the laws passed by congress....both democrats and republicans.....one can write off the interest on the debt....
Finally, they may owe 240K, have assets of 300K, but as they pay the debt off, their value to loan decreases and they are living free of rent.
Sadly, those that rent dont get it.
My guess is you rent, otherwise you would have not posted this.
Does the average home owner owe a billion dollars?
The average homeowner doesn't have several billion in property value.
Apples to apples. You owe 200K for 300K in property value, you are in good shape. You owe 1 billion for 3 billion in property value, you are in good shape.
Not rocket science.

Owing a billion dollars is a sign of being in good shape? . WOW.

The level of detachment from the facts for TDSers is incredible.
I did not say that. Owing a billion dollars so you can purchase 3 billion in assets IS being in good shape. For some ideological reason, you left out the return part.
Personally, I find your posts quite naïve to real life. You must rent and live check to check. I get it. It sux. Perhaps years ago, if you understood leveraging you would have bought and not rented and now you would owe 200 K but have 400K in assets.
I know.....I am confusing you.
Sorry.

Thinking owing a billion dollars is a good thing means you're seriously confused yourself. I know, I know....logic isn't your strong suit. Sorry.
here is a good question....

And I would like an honest answer.

If a single mom is able to put 50K down on purchasing a house with a value of 250K....giving her 200K in debt at a cost of about 1500 a month in todays lending market...and the interest on the debt allows her a write off on her taxes and purchasing that home saves her 1000 in rent that has no return....and every 1500 a month she pays for the mortgage ,some goes to pay off the home with more to interest at the beginning but more to principal after 20 years....here is how it stands....and I would like to see how you respond

She is paying 500 a month more to own.
She gets to write off part of that 1500 a month
She is not paying rent
Every payment she makes is actually not like rent....it is becoming equity as it goes to the loan on the home
So, in essence, she is not only living rent free, but she is actually adding to the equity of her home
She has collateral to be used for a HELOC or car loan or student loan or whatever she wants....something she doesn't get with renting .

Didi she make a mistake?

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Not really. Trump has hidden a lot of his debt from public view, obfuscated when asked about his massive debt, and is clearly not that great a businessman....having filed for bankruptcy multiple times.

Yes...over $1B in debt is owed by Trump. And that is just what the experts at Forbes can find from the public disclosures which are murky at best. Murky by design no doubt. The multiple lenders (Deutsch, Ladder Financial, etc...) own most of his ass. But that's quite a bit of ass to own...there are a lot of harpoons in the whale.

View attachment 403160View attachment 403161View attachment 403162View attachment 403163View attachment 403164View attachment 403165View attachment 403166View attachment 403167View attachment 403168
The average home owner owes 80% of the value of their home. So if the home is valued at 300K and they buy it at 300K, they likely owe 240K for the home. Are they in debt? Yes, they owe 240K so they are in debt for 240K....but they have 300K in assets meaning they are above water for 60K. So they are not actually in debt. They are leveraging. That is how it works.
Furthermore, thanks to the laws passed by congress....both democrats and republicans.....one can write off the interest on the debt....
Finally, they may owe 240K, have assets of 300K, but as they pay the debt off, their value to loan decreases and they are living free of rent.
I have a valid question. Now be careful with your answer.

If you were able to borrow 1 billion dollars to make a 2 billion dollar profit.......Would you?

Again....be careful with your answer

I'd probably not want to be a billion in debt...ever. But then again, I have a brain in my head and unlike you...my head isn't up my ass.
Cute.
My head is not up my ass. I owe on my home, but my home is valued at 4 times what I owe. I know.....BUT YOU OWE.....true....but I OWN 4 times as much BECAUSE I owe. And when my debt interest exceeds my ROI on my investments, I will payoff my mortgage. It is known as leveraging.
So I guess my head is up my ass as I somehow continue to stay ahead of the game, live in a beautiful house, own a boat, employ dozens of people....and only worried about getting COVID.
I guess head up my ass is a good thing?

Its way up your ass...if you think owing a billion dollars is a good thing.
I dont know about you....but if I owed a billion dollars so I can own 3 billion in assets, pay off that billion dollars and walk away with 2 billion in profit, I would pretty much say "I like my head up my ass".
But hey....thats me.

• Funny

Yeah, I read that last night. It looks like maybe two of his properties are actually not losing money.

Obviously you don't know that. Whether properties are making or losing money requires looking across his corporations and his taxes simultaneously and backing out the writeoffs (depreciation and amortization) and looking at the market value of his assets as a total calculation.

You don't remotely have all that information. It's sad how little you and the other leftists circle jerking about this know about business. And particularly pathetic you don't even know how stupid you are making yourself look to anyone who does know what you are talking about
New york times seems to know it.

Sorry for your luck.

Gotcha, you just blindly believe the NY Times, you don't require them to actually lay out for you any evidence or how it was calculated.

At least you admit that.

It explains why fake news just so completely dominate you people. You don't even want explanations or evidence, you just blindly trust them

I have a valid question. Now be careful with your answer.

If you were able to borrow 1 billion dollars to make a 2 billion dollar profit.......Would you?

Again....be careful with your answer

I'd probably not want to be a billion in debt...ever. But then again, I have a brain in my head and unlike you...my head isn't up my ass.
Cute.
My head is not up my ass. I owe on my home, but my home is valued at 4 times what I owe. I know.....BUT YOU OWE.....true....but I OWN 4 times as much BECAUSE I owe. And when my debt interest exceeds my ROI on my investments, I will payoff my mortgage. It is known as leveraging.
So I guess my head is up my ass as I somehow continue to stay ahead of the game, live in a beautiful house, own a boat, employ dozens of people....and only worried about getting COVID.
I guess head up my ass is a good thing?

Its way up your ass...if you think owing a billion dollars is a good thing.
I dont know about you....but if I owed a billion dollars so I can own 3 billion in assets, pay off that billion dollars and walk away with 2 billion in profit, I would pretty much say "I like my head up my ass".
But hey....thats me.

When Democrats like candy try esplaining things, it shows why their go to move is ... bu-bu-but you're a racist!

Oh for God's sake.....

EVERY corporation does that.
Even the USA does that. Do you have any idea how much of the US's debt is held by China ?? (NO)

Please consider enrolling in Business 101

Trump's companies are not a corporation. It's also not a government. He just can't keep printing money to pay off his $1B in Debt. Nor can he float bonds.

Perhaps you should consider that course.
Of course Trump's companies are incorporated, Candy! Don't be such an idiot! Anyone who invests in large real estate investments leverages their purchases. It would be unusual if Trump DIDN'T owe money!

• Thanks
Oh for God's sake.....

Even the USA does that. Do you have any idea how much of the US's debt is held by China ?? (NO)

Trump's companies are not a corporation. It's also not a government. He just can't keep printing money to pay off his $1B in Debt. Nor can he float bonds.

Of course Trump's companies are incorporated, Candy! Don't be such an idiot! Anyone who invests in large real estate investments leverages their purchases. It would be unusual if Trump DIDN'T owe money!

It would be bad business if Trump's real estate companies didn't owe money. That would mean they are footing the whole bill out of their own pockets which would be a huge drag on returns over debt, which is far cheaper. And they would own like 1/3 the real estate because he's tying up his cash.

candycorn, petro and Crepitus know NOTHING about business.

Creptius admitted he blindly trusts the NY Times, no questions asked. And the NY Times argued that his business's debt is his personal debt showing they are either liars or stupid.

The general business rule of thumb is debt to equity is 2 to 1. It does vary by industry, but using that, Trump could buy three buildings for the same money and make more money on all three buildings than funding it himself because of the writeoffs.

candy's investment strategy is searching sofa's for coins. That's her level of knoweldge

But it's what we do here because we want more government than we're willing to pay for.
not me. why do you need more government?

We don't; we need to tax ourselves at the level of government spending.

we need to tax ourselves at the level of government spending.

It would make more sense to spend less than we take in in taxes, and pay down the debt.

We should tax to the levels of spending.

Oh wait, you think it's a fantastic idea to be in debt.... I forgot. Sorry.

Nope.

the more they tax, the more they spend.

Raise taxes across the board to 90%, Congress will still spend more than they take in.

Being in debt for 1/4th my assets?

not a big issue.

Not that you seem to understand.

You seem to think any debt is good debt.... Its a crazy stance. I'm not surprised a Trump supporter thinks that way since most are certifiable nuts.

LOL. You tell him you can read his mind, and that's how you know he's a nut.

Maybe you should think that one through ...

Oh for God's sake.....

It would be bad business if Trump's real estate companies didn't owe money. That would mean they are footing the whole bill out of their own pockets which would be a huge drag on returns over debt, which is far cheaper. And they would own like 1/3 the real estate because he's tying up his cash.

candycorn, petro and Crepitus know NOTHING about business.

Creptius admitted he blindly trusts the NY Times, no questions asked. And the NY Times argued that his business's debt is his personal debt showing they are either liars or stupid
Here is the irony.

Trump has a half a billion in debt. He owns several billion dollars in assets because of that debt.
Due to that debt, he was able to employ 10's of thousands of people which means his "debt" allows 3 to 4 times that many people to have food on the table and a roof over their head.
He pays millions of dollars in employer payroll tax due to that debt. That money goes back to the people through the government.
He can easily sell his assets, pay off his half a billion in debt and walk away with billions in cash.
Somehow, that is a bad thing?
Why? Anyone? Why is that a bad thing?

But it's what we do here because we want more government than we're willing to pay for.

It would make more sense to spend less than we take in in taxes, and pay down the debt.

Nope.

Raise taxes across the board to 90%, Congress will still spend more than they take in.

not a big issue.

You seem to think any debt is good debt.... Its a crazy stance. I'm not surprised a Trump supporter thinks that way since most are certifiable nuts.

There are many debts that are bad debts. For example, credit card debt is a bad debt. Why? Because you are not accruing value in assets, you are simply spending more than you can afford. Otherwise, you would pay cash.
But to take on debt to purchase an asset that is valued at more than what you pay (happens often) is a good debt. It is known as INVESTING.....LEVERAGING.....yes, sometimes a gamble, but often a smart move.
Candycorn, you really need to understand what you debate.

• Thanks

Nope.

not a big issue.

There are many debts that are bad debts. For example, credit card debt is a bad debt. Why? Because you are not accruing value in assets, you are simply spending more than you can afford. Otherwise, you would pay cash.
But to take on debt to purchase an asset that is valued at more than what you pay (happens often) is a good debt. It is known as INVESTING.....LEVERAGING.....yes, sometimes a gamble, but often a smart move.

Yes, but it's only a gamble for the money you put into the investment. I don't understand how Forbes allowed something that ignorant to be published.

I mentioned before, it's like taking all the stocks you own shares of directly or in mutual funds, taking the debt of all those companies, calculating your share of that debt and calling it your debt.

It's completely moronic. TDS is a bizarre disease.

The article dances around saying anything directly wrong, but it doesn't put it in context or explain what it actually means and calling the debt of corporations he owns his debt as if he's liable for any future losses beyond his investment is just completely misleading

Last edited:

Nope.

not a big issue.

Yes, but it's only a gamble for the money you put into the investment
Bottom line.....and underwriter will ONLY approve a loan if your assets exceed the amount of the loan by at least 70%.....so regardless of the amount of the loan, 100 dollars or 10 billion dollars, you MUST have the assets to rationalize the risk of the lender.
If Trump has a half a billion of debt, (FYI, that is not called being in debt)...then he certainly has much more in assets.
Being in debt is a bad thing. Having debt less than assets is having debt for a reason and a good thing. But not the same as being in debt. Candy needs to understand how it works.

Nope.

not a big issue.

Bottom line.....and underwriter will ONLY approve a loan if your assets exceed the amount of the loan by at least 70%.....so regardless of the amount of the loan, 100 dollars or 10 billion dollars, you MUST have the assets to rationalize the risk of the lender.
If Trump has a half a billion of debt, (FYI, that is not called being in debt)...then he certainly has much more in assets.
Being in debt is a bad thing. Having debt less than assets is having debt for a reason and a good thing. But not the same as being in debt. Candy needs to understand how it works.

Yes, if you put 30% down on a building, then use the building itself as collateral, you should be fine.

I keep pointing out too that debt is cheaper than equity. By putting down 30%, he can buy roughly three more buildings with the same money. Buying buildings outright would be really stupid, so that's what candycorn, petro, and Crepitus think he should do. They want government checks, business schmisness, they know nothing about it, and are damned proud of it

Nope.

not a big issue.

Yes, if you put 30% down on a building, then use the building itself as collateral, you should be fine.

I keep pointing out too that debt is cheaper than equity. By putting down 30%, he can buy roughly three more buildings with the same money. Buying buildings outright would be really stupid, so that's what candycorn, petro, and Crepitus think he should do. They want government checks, business schmisness, they know nothing about it, and are damned proud of it
I ask CandyCorn to check out what the Clintons did. When they left the WH, they had little cash. Yet they were able to buy a mansion in Westchester NY. Based on the estimated value of their books and future speeches, my guess was an underwriter determined that they can borrow 80% of the value of their home. That is how it works.
But the clintons do it, that is fine. Trump does it? Bad bad bad.

• Thanks
Oh for God's sake.....

A billion dollars?

Please tell us the ticker symbol of his corporations....

Not really. Trump has hidden a lot of his debt from public view, obfuscated when asked about his massive debt, and is clearly not that great a businessman....having filed for bankruptcy multiple times

You're a liar. Trump has never filed for bankruptcy.

It's hilarious how you liars keep calling Trump a liar

The blob has filed for bankruptcy 6 times.

Oh for God's sake.....

A billion dollars?

I already corrected you on this. Private company means it's not on a public exchange. You do not have to be on a public exchange to be incorporated. I've owned five corporations, none were publicly listed. All were limited liability corporations that protected me from debt.

You just don't know what you're talking about. I explained it all to you, you should read it so you don't keep making yourself look so stupid and uninformed

Not really. Trump has hidden a lot of his debt from public view, obfuscated when asked about his massive debt, and is clearly not that great a businessman....having filed for bankruptcy multiple times

You're a liar. Trump has never filed for bankruptcy.

It's hilarious how you liars keep calling Trump a liar

The blob has filed for bankruptcy 6 times.

You're still lying, four year old. You're a blob blobber. He's never filed for bankruptcy

Maybe candycorn can explain how Low IQ Joe started as a "middle class" Senator and has since mushroomed into a net worth well over $100 million....

HINT = the Senator Salary didn't quite account for that

Real estate companies use debt financing. So what.... At least that is not getting a foreign prosecutor fired for noticing your drug addicted kid was getting a kickback of US foreign aid....

Oh for God's sake.....

A billion dollars?

Penny? You're showing your abject ignorance again! There are publicly traded corporations that have "ticker symbols" and then there are privately owned corporations that do not! Only an idiot would have the assets that Donald Trump has and NOT be incorporated for the protection of those assets! You'd know that if you weren't so clueless when it comes to anything to do with business, finance or economics in general!

Forum List

Back