Alcoholism

MrG refused to go to AA. Said he tried it ONCE and once was enough. All the whining and talking about the booze they drank, etc...he said it made him want a drink worse than ever. So...he didn't go a second time. He did it cold turkey. That was not fun either to be around. But he did it. Been about 12 years or so now since he quit.
I'm not an alcoholic!

Fucking pieces of shit!

Eat a dick!

I'm sleepy...

View attachment 295183

What a fantastic view.
The front is cooler

p2160039.jpg

MrG refused to go to AA. Said he tried it ONCE and once was enough. All the whining and talking about the booze they drank, etc...he said it made him want a drink worse than ever. So...he didn't go a second time. He did it cold turkey. That was not fun either to be around. But he did it. Been about 12 years or so now since he quit.
I'm not an alcoholic!

Fucking pieces of shit!

Eat a dick!

I'm sleepy...

View attachment 295183

What a fantastic view.
The front is cooler

View attachment 295192

Wow! That is incredible. I haven't traveled in a couple weeks and it's making me antsy to get back out there.

I'm not an alcoholic!

Fucking pieces of shit!

Eat a dick!

I'm sleepy...

View attachment 295183

What a fantastic view.
The front is cooler

View attachment 295192

Wow! That is incredible. I haven't traveled in a couple weeks and it's making me antsy to get back out there.

It's pretty nice....... I used to travel but decided to park
p9270012.jpg

It is terrible. And it is a disease. Nobody chooses to behave insanely. But it is manageable. Kudos to those who got in front of it, and those who support them.

Going through it now. Not fun.

It is not a disease.

It takes commitment to become addicted to alcohol.

In my experience ( my mother was an addict and it killed her) most addicts are nothing but selfish and narcissistic and when the world which they believe should be all about them doesn't live up to their expectations they drink or smoke or shoot up.

I grew up near two kids who were in foster care. Their mother was an alcoholic. The foster family had a son who was the same age. The kids lived with the foster family from the time they were five till they were adults.

The kids were raised the same as their natural son. When they turned 18 both kids became instant alcoholics. They could not control themselves. The natural son had no problem drinking

I think their mothers heavy drinking while they were in the womb subjected them to massive doses of alcohol. They were born alcoholics

It is terrible. And it is a disease. Nobody chooses to behave insanely. But it is manageable. Kudos to those who got in front of it, and those who support them.

It is not a disease.

In my experience ( my mother was an addict and it killed her) most addicts are nothing but selfish and narcissistic and when the world which they believe should be all about them doesn't live up to their expectations they drink or smoke or shoot up.

I grew up near two kids who were in foster care. Their mother was an alcoholic. The foster family had a son who was the same age. The kids lived with the foster family from the time they were five till they were adults.

The kids were raised the same as their natural son. When they turned 18 both kids became instant alcoholics. They could not control themselves. The natural son had no problem drinking

I think their mothers heavy drinking while they were in the womb subjected them to massive doses of alcohol. They were born alcoholics
No one becomes an instant alcoholic it takes a long time of daily heavy drinking to become addicted

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It is not a disease.

No one becomes an instant alcoholic it takes a long time of daily heavy drinking to become addicted

I think those two boys were born addicted

it’s very off putting because it paints AA as a soft religious cult. It doesn’t matter how many times someone tries to repackage “higher power” everyone knows what it means. That is probably the number 1 worry and resistance to those seeking help. A new term needs to be introduced as an alternative for those who roll their eyes and associate religion with weakness.

AA has helped tens of millions of people. If the term "Higher Power" puts you off, or frightens you, move on to a different program. AA works, suggesting that it be changed to suit you is insane.

What's your clean date, Larsky?
Not I. But the date is 08/23/19.

Good on your peep. It's a long haul. I work with addicts. They have more integrity than a whole lot of people once they have been in recovery awhile because they have to be.
Do you encounter resistance to AA because of the god overtones?

I've tried to explain a higher power does not need to be jesus. She's 4 months clean, but that's all.

Well, the 12 steps are a fundamental part of many programs. The meetings themselves are used almost as an addition to- if necessary. There are a few reasons that many people outright reject AA/NA. A lot of it depends on where people are at in their recovery. One of them is that many people feel as if there is a tendency to glorify prior substance abuse. The second reason is that there is the belief in the theory that addiction is a disease and they are helpless to control it as it's a life sentence in and of itself. Less Jesus and more on helpless and no choice forever and ever Amen. Tell a control freak they have no choice and watch them spin out. The brain doesn't shut off. Technically, it's about choosing not to use today and only worrying about today. Third is the meeting itself. I mean that certain meetings work for certain people and they have to find the meeting that works for them--if one exists in that area. Historically, AA/NA has not been very helpful for women. They don't have to collect stats because it's anonymous. They can say whatever they want.

Recovery is a process. For anyone that is deep in their addiction and wants to get clean, they have to shut down everyone and everything they have known. They have a grieving process of saying goodbye to friends and, sometimes, family. You have to change people, places and things. People will often say they need to leave an area to stay clean. People further in their recovery will say that no matter where you go there you are. You have to change everything from the ground up: thinking, reacting, coping, and developing new interests and what constitutes fun. You have to know what your triggers are.That empty space between point A and point B can be so overwhelming.

On top of this, the age that someone started using is often where they stopped developing mentally, emotionally etc. That right there can be a killer. Underneath that is often trauma. For many women there is a history of sexual or other abuse, (or loss, etc.) that they have yet to process. Sometimes they don't remember what events precipitated it right off the bat and have to take a little personal journey to identify it. So, if you started using at age 13 and you get clean, where is your starting point?

Then there is the whole dealing with legal issues, employment skills, housing. My all time favorite is anxiety disorders and then substance abuse. With other mental illness and substance abuse following close behind it and intellectual disabilities and substance abuse in third place. All of the above
happening at the same damn time. We haven't even discussed deep shame yet or re-establishing relationships.

Walking in off the street to a meeting is not enough for many people. The same is true for programs that have counselors that are in their twenties or early thirties that have never been in recovery. Now, there are groups out there that focus on developing a community/family/friendships with others in recovery or are just women's groups. There are sober living environments where you have to do 90 meetings in 90 days. In my opinion that works best after a rehab or after a rehab and a relapse. Or your seventh trip through rehab.

It is not a disease.

It's called a genetic predisposition. The language used in the link also follows the "disease" theory. If your parents, grandparents, etc. are alcoholics/addicts then you would be at a higher risk to become the same. Men are not excluded. In fact, the substance abuse by the father leading up to the time of conception also impacts the baby. Genetics and alcoholism

Last edited:

It is not a disease.

It's called a genetic predisposition. The language used in the link also follows the "disease" theory. If your parents, grandparents, etc. are alcoholics/addicts then you would be at a higher risk to become the same. Men are not excluded. In fact, the substance abuse by the father leading up to the time of conception also impacts the baby. Genetics and alcoholism
Both my parents were addicts and yet I have no trouble with booze or drugs.

It takes a long time to get addicted to anything

Becoming an alcoholic takes commitment

It is not a disease.

It's widely recognized as a neurological disorder. Regardless of what self-proclaimed messageboard experts claim, I tend to agree. The science is there.

It is not a disease.

It's widely recognized as a neurological disorder. Regardless of what self-proclaimed messageboard experts claim, I tend to agree. The science is there.
Addiction is not a disease

Addiction follows behavior

An addiction can be cured by removing the substances to which one has become physically dependent on because of long term use.

It is not a disease.

Were you a drug baby or did the addiction come later on down the road?

This is FAS
Fetal alcohol syndrome - Symptoms and causes
Basics about FASDs

You can have a mom that sporadically drank or drank and didn't know they were pregnant and the screening at the time of birth comes out fine and FAS is not diagnosed. At least not right off the bat.

It doesn't take that long to get addicted to heroin, meth, crack, fentanyl. At all. And if you have a newborn that is going through withdrawals from name your drug they are born addicts.

It's a higher risk. You can have five siblings born to drug addicts and 3 of them have substance abuse issues of their own and two don't have any issues. Why? Dunno. I like to call it......don't need to be hit by a mac truck to know it hurts theory.

It is not a disease.

This is FAS
Basics about FASDs

You can have a mom that sporadically drank or drank and didn't know they were pregnant and the screening at the time of birth comes out fine and FAS is not diagnosed. At least not right off the bat.

It doesn't take that long to get addicted to heroin, meth, crack, fentanyl. At all. And if you have a newborn that is going through withdrawals from name your drug they are born addicts.

It's a higher risk. You can have five siblings born to drug addicts and 3 of them have substance abuse issues of their own and two don't have any issues. Why? Dunno. I like to call it......don't need to be hit by a mac truck to know it hurts theory.
dsir,
There is clear evidence with addiction and physiological changes in the brain's pleasure centers.

Still, the only real "cure" is to modify behaviors.

It is not a disease.

Yep. There is a whole lot of science that shows up.

I think that people get hung up on the disease terminology.........because it implies a lack of responsibility/control and that you have to diligently work a program till you die. Neither of which is true. The approach and treatment using the disease theory interferes with the science. It's the nature vs nurture argument.

This is FAS
Basics about FASDs

dsir,
There is clear evidence with addiction and physiological changes in the brain's pleasure centers.

Still, the only real "cure" is to modify behaviors.

I agree and I'm not arguing that it isn't.

Forum List

Back