Alabama moves to eliminate marriage licenses

This is, in effect, a civil union.

Anyone can still marry religiously if their recognizes heterosexual or homosexual couples.

OK. Should have been that way forever.

Alabama Moves to Eliminate Marriage Licenses

:D Good. I GUARANTEE the butt fucker hate brigade will attack this with ALL its might because what they TRULY want is the state to be forced to recognize their disgusting idea of marriage! GOOD JOB ALABAMA! Let the ignorant tirades and hate filled comments against Alabama and Southerns begin! :)
So? That only goes to show how brain-dead rightwingers are. They would rather not recognize over a million marriages among heterosexuals so that they don't have to recognize thousands of gay marriages. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. :lol:

:D Good. I GUARANTEE the butt fucker hate brigade will attack this with ALL its might because what they TRULY want is the state to be forced to recognize their disgusting idea of marriage! GOOD JOB ALABAMA! Let the ignorant tirades and hate filled comments against Alabama and Southerns begin! :)
So? That only goes to show how brain-dead rightwingers are. They would rather not recognize over a million marriages among heterosexuals so that they don't have to recognize thousands of gay marriages. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. :lol:
If you read the text of the law IDIOT the state will still accept marriage by the church. So are the homo's going to FORCE the church to marry them? CAN'T be done.

Fine...if all are treated equally, all are treated equally. But my grandmother would call that "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

If you read the text of the law IDIOT the state will still accept marriage by the church. So are the homo's going to FORCE the church to marry them? CAN'T be done.
Several churches already perform gay marriages and have done so longer than most states....we were church married in 1990 while it took until 2007 til we were legally married here in CA.

There is already quite a few churches that accept and marry gays. I am down with getting the gov't of marriage but it isn't exactly a popular position. Alabama is only doing this despite the queers but whatever, if the result is the same I am down.

Fine...if all are treated equally, all are treated equally. But my grandmother would call that "cutting off your nose to spite your face."
Gives the churches control over who they marry NOT the state.

Gives the churches control over who they marry NOT the state.
And what to do about people who don't believe in your church god?

Good the government should not be in the marriage business to begin with.
Why should you need the government's approval to get married, not to mention paying them for the privilege.

Why should you need the government's approval to get married, not to mention paying them for the privilege.
Sad for those who do not get a marriage license....their divorces and child custodies and survivor benefit situations are going to be rather interesting.

There is no need to "force" any church to marry them. There are plenty of institutions that would be happy to marry them. As an ordained officiant myself, I'm more than happy to marry a same sex couple.

Now, if the law were to recognize only unions recognized by some religious institution, and not provide a mechanism for non-religiously created unions, there might be a first amendment issue there.

Last edited:
Sad for those who do not get a marriage license....their divorces and child custodies and survivor benefit situations are going to be rather interesting.
That's a matter of personal responsibility. Wills and separation, are issues one can prepare for, without a governmental, cookie-cutter, indiscriminate, "safety net".
It requires one to take not only responsibility; but to take action, as well...

Last edited:
This is sour grapes legislation, nothing more.

As long as all are treated equallity, I am fine with it.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Nothing is stopping them from getting married in church. If that is not your forte, then you can get a lawyer to draw up a contract for the lucky couple.

None of this really means much as the state/federal government cash and prizes are still in place. The only thing Alabama is doing is hoping that churches won't marry queers. Psst...they already do.

Nah, they'll find a church that will marry them. They'll still get married only the million+ heterosexual marriages will no longer be recognized by the state.

conservatives truly are dumbfucking imbeciles.

There is no need to "force" any church to marry them. There are plenty of institutions that would be happy to marry them. As an ordained officiant myself, I'm more than happy to marry a same sex couple.

Now, if the law were to recognize only unions recognized by some religious institution, and now provide a mechanism for non-religiously created unions, there might be a first amendment issue there.
You CAN'T force a church to marry a homo. And that IS what the homo wants. They want to FORCE the church. And you know some homo with a crack addict lawyer IS going to try. This was NEVER an issue of two homo's wanting to be together. This ALWAYS has been an issue of the homos ATTACKING the church.

Forum List

Back