Alabama Democrat Flips GOP Seat After Campaigning Against Threats To IVF

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
Democrat Marilyn Lands defeated Republican Teddy Powell on Tuesday in a 62-37 landslide, easily prevailing in a nationally watched special election for a GOP-held seat in the Alabama House of Representatives.

Powell, a member of the City Council in Madison, adopted a very different strategy. He instead focused on issues like infrastructure and downplayed the importance of reproductive rights. "It's certainly an issue that needs to be dealt with," he told Politico, "but not our top issue. I don't think that this is the issue that wins or loses the race."

That calculus turned out to be wrong, and Lands just gave Democrats good reason to believe that Powell will be only the first of many Republicans to pay the price at the ballot box this year.

So how's that whole border thing working out for you?

You know, because reproductive rights certainly isn't the top issue.

Democrat Marilyn Lands defeated Republican Teddy Powell on Tuesday in a 62-37 landslide, easily prevailing in a nationally watched special election for a GOP-held seat in the Alabama House of Representatives.

Powell, a member of the City Council in Madison, adopted a very different strategy. He instead focused on issues like infrastructure and downplayed the importance of reproductive rights. "It's certainly an issue that needs to be dealt with," he told Politico, "but not our top issue. I don't think that this is the issue that wins or loses the race."

That calculus turned out to be wrong, and Lands just gave Democrats good reason to believe that Powell will be only the first of many Republicans to pay the price at the ballot box this year.

Infrastructure? Oh you mean how the bank accounts of Dimtard criminals get fortified with all that infrastructure money.....

Last edited:

Where will you move skrewey??

Anything that stirs-up the womenz is a bad thing for the gop.

I'm still pissed at SCOTUS for fucking-up RvW.
In the long run, anything false with a strong government overreach in authoritarian governments, will not last. This is not what women are normally. It is what they were pushed to become. And then get defensive for it. Intelligent women know their bodies.

He is right but that is why he lost. IVF is not a big issue but the Republicans decided to make it one.

As long as Republicans want to control women's reproductive health care, they cannot win elections. There are too many women voters to allow them to do it.

In listening to the SC oral arguments yesterday, it struck me that even Amy Coney Barrett wasn't buying the bullshit the Plaintiffs were pedalling. Barrett is the one who pointed out that all but two of the "doctors" who filed the original law suit in Texas, were DENTISTS, who would never be performing abortions.

Barrett has 7 children. The percentages say that she's suffered at least one miscarriage, and probably more. When Mrs. Hawley talked about how these doctors were harmed by being forced to treat women for emergency D&C's she seemed shocked that they assumed the woman was aborting the fetus. What if she was having a miscarriage????

Mrs. Barrett pointed out that these women could simply be having miscarriages which need treatment, and seemed taken aback that the doctors didn't want to save women's lives. That's when I knew she's had a miscarriage.

NONE of the women on the SC were having any of the bullshit about doctors being "harmed" by having to treat pregnant women, given that there are laws which protect doctors from giving treatments that violate their beliefs.

Last edited:
As long as Republicans want to control women's reproductive health care, they cannot win elections. There are too many women voters to allow them to do it.

In listening to the SC oral arguments yesterday, it struck me that even Amy Coney Barrett wasn't buying the bullshit the Plaintiffs were pedalling. Barrett is the one who pointed out that all but two of the "doctors" who filed the original law suit in Texas, were DENTISTS, who would never be performing abortions.

Barrett has 7 children. The percentages say that she's suffered at least one miscarriage, and probably more. When Mrs. Hawley talked about how these doctors were harmed by being forced to treat women for emergency D&C's she seemed shocked that they assumed the woman was aborting the fetus. What if she was having a miscarriage????

Mrs. Barrett pointed out that these women could simply be having miscarriages which need treatment, and seemed taken aback that the doctors didn't want to save women's lives. That's when I knew she's had a miscarriage.

NONE of the women on the SC were having any of the bullshit about doctors being "harmed" by having to treat pregnant women, given that there are laws which protect doctors from giving treatments that violate their beliefs.
When the time comes and the west poor enough you will rue what you spout. You depend on males protecting you. And more than that doing it for salaries, benefits and pensions no matter how many other men are destroyed.

Its always risky to get between drunken party girls and their abortionist

In the long run, anything false with a strong government overreach in authoritarian governments, will not last. This is not what women are normally. It is what they were pushed to become. And then get defensive for it. Intelligent women know their bodies.

Women spent 50 years FIGHTING for the vote.

Women spent decades fighting for the right to reproductive health care. They won that fight when Roe v. Wade became the law of the land.

DO YOU THINK WOMEN WON'T FIGHT FOR THEIR LIVES OR THEIR RIGHTS, THINK AGAIN, ASSHOLE.

Women spent 50 years FIGHTING for the vote.

Women spent decades fighting for the right to reproductive health care. They won that fight when Roe v. Wade became the law of the land.

DO YOU THINK WOMEN WON'T FIGHT FOR THEIR LIVES OR THEIR RIGHTS, THINK AGAIN, ASSHOLE.
I do not blame you. I just do not want to die for you. Die for yourselves. Give me my resources without charging me for you. Leave me alone. And get the authoritarians to do the same. Reproductive healthcare is not being sluts and whores. And I abhor the puritan's crap from other eras. Give us our money and stop charging us. You won't.

Its not complicated is it. These right wing nutters are in the supreme court trying to get a pill banned. They arent going away and they wont give up their crazy. The only option is to vote them out.
America supports choice. Normal people everywhere support it.

Forum List

Back