Air travel

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
The last time I flew it was Fort Worth to Ontario California to see my Dad in the early 90's. Coming back was terrifying. After we boarded we had to get off because something was wrong with the plane. We got back on another one and the pilot flew over a raging forest fire and the cabin filled with smoke. People were freaking out. The left side engine was making a noise like it had a bad bearing for the whole flight. Oh, yeah, it was a DC 9. I decided not to fly anymore after that. Lately I have started watching these crash videos on youtube and some of the pilots are truly amazing like the one in the Gimli Glider and Captain Sullenberger that ditched in the Hudson. However most of them don't end that way. Many are caused by pilot error, poor maintenance and some never do have the cause established. This 737 MAX is apparently a death trap because of the computer control system. Two of them nosedived into the ground because of discrepancies in the angle of attack indicators and the airspeed indicators. The system couldn't read the airspeed and kept trying to pull the nose up to slow down and finally somehow a stall warning come on and the horrid voice saying terrain pull up, terrain pull up! Killed them all in both planes. Two of them had the front of the left engine just explode. Turns out Southwest didn't want to spend the money to properly check the vanes.

I've seen hundreds and they are 99 percent horrible. The last one I saw was last night and it was a DC 8 fully loaded with people. The title was something like plane crashed immediately after take off. So I wondered what caused it. OMG! I could see when it started the take off roll what was gonna happen. The pilots did not have the flaps down and latter I they said the slots were not extended on the leading edge of the wings! Also the stupid bastards did not have the computers configured for take off. WTF? And these two idiots had thousands of hours in the air flying big jets. They experienced a longer then normal take off roll (wonder why? lol), the plane was sluggish and almost as soon as they lifted off the stall warning sounded. Straight down into the ground. To hell with that crap.

I have seen that one. Chilling.
The pilot was all calm, then freaked out when he knew it was all over....

I was trying to find that one recreation of the plane crashed In New York, when the fuel tanks exploded and the plane broke In two

The last time I flew it was Fort Worth to Ontario California to see my Dad in the early 90's. Coming back was terrifying. After we boarded we had to get off because something was wrong with the plane. We got back on another one and the pilot flew over a raging forest fire and the cabin filled with smoke. People were freaking out. The left side engine was making a noise like it had a bad bearing for the whole flight. Oh, yeah, it was a DC 9. I decided not to fly anymore after that. Lately I have started watching these crash videos on youtube and some of the pilots are truly amazing like the one in the Gimli Glider and Captain Sullenberger that ditched in the Hudson. However most of them don't end that way. Many are caused by pilot error, poor maintenance and some never do have the cause established. This 737 MAX is apparently a death trap because of the computer control system. Two of them nosedived into the ground because of discrepancies in the angle of attack indicators and the airspeed indicators. The system couldn't read the airspeed and kept trying to pull the nose up to slow down and finally somehow a stall warning come on and the horrid voice saying terrain pull up, terrain pull up! Killed them all in both planes. Two of them had the front of the left engine just explode. Turns out Southwest didn't want to spend the money to properly check the vanes.

I've seen hundreds and they are 99 percent horrible. The last one I saw was last night and it was a DC 8 fully loaded with people. The title was something like plane crashed immediately after take off. So I wondered what caused it. OMG! I could see when it started the take off roll what was gonna happen. The pilots did not have the flaps down and latter I they said the slots were not extended on the leading edge of the wings! Also the stupid bastards did not have the computers configured for take off. WTF? And these two idiots had thousands of hours in the air flying big jets. They experienced a longer then normal take off roll (wonder why? lol), the plane was sluggish and almost as soon as they lifted off the stall warning sounded. Straight down into the ground. To hell with that crap.

Except those two planes weren't Southwest jets. The first one belonged to Lion Air (Indonesia) and the second belonged to Ethiopian Air. You should really edit that out of the post. Southwest had a jet that had a blade in one of the engines fly off, rip through the engine cowling, and embedded itself in one of the passenger windows, killing the woman that was sitting in the window seat.

Now that one gives me nightmares.

• Banned
Except those two planes weren't Southwest jets. The first one belonged to Lion Air (Indonesia) and the second belonged to Ethiopian Air. You should really edit that out of the post. Southwest had a jet that had a blade in one of the engines fly off, rip through the engine cowling, and embedded itself in one of the passenger windows, killing the woman that was sitting in the window seat.

Now that one gives me nightmares.
That's one I refer to when I say they didn't want to spend the money, unless I got the videos mixed up but I don't think I did. It sucked her partway out the window. Can you imagine having a 200MPH wind beating the crap out of you for ten minutes?

Last edited:
  • Banned
The pilot was all calm, then freaked out when he knew it was all over....

I was trying to find that one recreation of the plane crashed In New York, when the fuel tanks exploded and the plane broke In two
This one?

I watch the series "air disasters" and it's obvious that most of the pilot errors occur in foreign flights. They had a case where a Russian international airline pilot let his preteen kid sit on his lap while he was flying the plane and the kid inadvertently turned off the autopilot. By the time the problem became evident they could not recover. On the other hand a Canadian pilot managed to glide a 747 to a safe landing on an abandoned airfield when the plane ran out of gas due to the confusion between the US pounds and the Canadian metric liters.

• Banned
I watch the series "air disasters" and it's obvious that most of the pilot errors occur in foreign flights. They had a case where a Russian international airline pilot let his preteen kid sit on his lap while he was flying the plane and the kid inadvertently turned off the autopilot. By the time the problem became evident they could not recover. On the other hand a Canadian pilot managed to glide a 747 to a safe landing on an abandoned airfield when the plane ran out of gas due to the confusion between the US pounds and the Canadian metric liters.
That was the Gimli Glider I referred to. It landed on a drag strip were racing was being held and it was a Boeing 767. May have been an abandoned runway.

It looks like an ordinary drivers license won't get you through security pretty soon even on domestic flights. You will need a passport or an "upgraded" drivers license from what I understand.

Forum List

Back