Air Power and 21st Century Applications

if the F4s were used for CAS, SURELY the new aircraft can perform CAS much BETTER/effectively

Failed argument.

You are trying to argue that just because a craft can do something, a newer version will be better. That is not even close to being right. The F-22 can do CAS. And it is newer than an A-10. But in no way does it even come close to being as good as an A-10 in performing a CAS mission.

This is what you fail to grasp.

No.

But please, tell me all about the awesome CAS capabilities of the F-22 Raptor. I will file it along with all the awesome air to air capabilities of the F-117.
the F35 can't perform CAS!!!!!!!!!???????????
we are not talking about the 117!! stay on topic and stop deflecting

the F35 can't perform CAS

Not as well as a dedicated CAS aircraft can.

Are you even aware that there is yet a air to ground missile for the F-35 to be used in a CAS mission? Not one. Several are in development, but none in service yet. So all they have are their guns, and freaking JDAM.

And I don't give a damn what you try to say, in no way can a JDAM attached to the smallest bomb (500 pound) anywhere near as good in a CAS mission as the Hyrda 70 rocket.

I guess I will just keep repeating this. Just because an aircraft can do CAS, does not mean it is as good at it as a dedicated aircraft is.

Here, in preparation for your next attempt. Because I can promise this is once again the answer.

Just because an aircraft can do CAS, does not mean it is as good at it as a dedicated aircraft is.

newer does not mean better
so laser guided/JDAM bombs are not better than free fall iron bombs??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in WW2, the Brit bombers couldn't even find the CITIES where they wanted to bomb !!!!!!!!!!! even when they found them, they MISSED the target a lot

so laser guided/JDAM bombs are not better than free fall iron bombs??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in WW2, the Brit bombers couldn't even find the CITIES where they wanted to bomb !!!!!!!!!!! even when they found them, they MISSED the target a lot
I did not say that.

so laser guided/JDAM bombs are not better than free fall iron bombs

What do you not grasp about the smallest JDAM is a 500 pound bomb?

That is a 60 meter kill radius, and a serious injury radius of over 500 meters. That means at the absolute closest, they still have to drop them over half a klick away from friendlies!

Holy hell, how many times do I have to repeat myself here? YOu keep going on and on about the accuracy of the JDAM. Ignoring the fact that the smallest munition it can go on is a 500 pound bomb, and you do not want to drop those anywhere even close to friendlies.

Which once again, defeats the very point of CAS in the first place. At least with the Hydra 70, they can be fired one at a time with a blast radius little larger than a hand grenade, or in volley-rapid fire if more ordinance is needed on the target.

Do you not grasp what CAS is at all? Or do you just feel free to drop large bombs dangerously close to your own people?

And as I said, the only ordinance the F-35 can do at this point for CAS is their 30mm cannon, and the 500 pound JDAM. They have yet to complete any of the new ordinance they are designing for it.

Please let me know if I need to repeat this yet again, this is getting really old needing to say the exact same thing over and over again.

I'm reasonably certain that cannon rounds and rockets are superior to JDAM for close air support.

I'm reasonably certain that cannon rounds and rockets are superior to JDAM for close air support.
hhahahahahahahahahahah
1. depends on the situation/not necessarily
2. cannon and rockets aren't going to kill as much as a JDAM
3. cannon and rockets will not demoralize/stun those not killed as much
a. bombs have suction/etc effects....MUCH more than rockets and cannon

So perhaps this should be considered as the A-20 (or A-21 for 21st Century?) ???

U.S. Tests The New Super A-10 Warthog Secretly​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The US Air Force Is Testing Its New A-10 The Warthog Battle Aircraft​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Insane Engineering of the A-10 Warthog​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why The A-10 Warthog Is Totally Invincible​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Or is there a better upgrade or preserving plan for the current A-10 ???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wondering ...
Anyone know if it's been considered, or exist, there be gun pods to attach that might include 2-3 .50 cal machine guns (M2s) so the 'Hog can spare the center gun and ammo on some of it's fire support/ground strafe missions ???
Only other way to improve/enhance the A-10 would be if it could launch(catapult) and land(tailhook) on a CVA carrier. That way it would be usable close by to support off-shore and amphib operations better.

Last edited:
Or is there a better upgrade or preserving plan for the current A-10 ???

Well, don't believe those videos, they are garbage. They specifically claimed a trainer aircraft as one designed for COIN combat. Then talked about drones and other speculations, as no actual replacement program has been in the works for over 5 years when the last one was killed.

I bet it is still going to be around for at least another decade, as there is still no program in the works to replace it. And the plans of a decade ago to kill it has been roundly crushed, both by the Army and Congress.

Forum List

Back