Admins, I have an idea...

Sheldon

Apr 2, 2010
I just got a spam in my PM box, linking to a forum for veterans. It was sent to several other users too. I just deleted it after seeing the spammer had already been banned, other wise I would have posted it here.

I don't know if this is a major issue. It's the first time it's happened to me. Maybe it doesn't happen enough to even do anything about.

But if it is becoming a trend, maybe it could be dealt with like this. No PM capabilities until you've got 15 posts, like the n00b restriction on not being able to post links in the open forum. Is the software for this site able to do that?

Just an idea. Thanks. :thup:

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I just got a spam in my PM box, linking to a forum for veterans. It was sent to several other users too. I just deleted it after seeing the spammer had already been banned, other wise I would have posted it here.

I don't know if this is a major issue. It's the first time it's happened to me. Maybe it doesn't happen enough to even do anything about.

But if it is becoming a trend, maybe it could be dealt with like this. No PM capabilities until you've got 15 posts, like the n00b restriction on not being able to post links in the open forum. Is the software for this site able to do that?

I think that is a silkerrific idea, saladboy!

I like it!

I also think that the no posting PMs rule should be waved for PM reponses to reps where the rep comment is posted publically.

I got one of those.... I sent mine to EZ, just I know she loves throwing that banhammer around.

I reported mine to the general mod box by clicking the little icon in the top right.

Then I realized that the mods would not be able to see it because it is a PM...and they can't see PMs.

BUT I WAS WRONG!!! THEY WERE ABLE TO SEE IT!!!

It looks like an idea, smells like one, sounds like one. Hey, what do you know an idea! It looks foolproof, which makes me wonder if it can possibly work.

I got one of those.... I sent mine to EZ, just I know she loves throwing that banhammer around.

I reported mine to the general mod box by clicking the little icon in the top right.

Then I realized that the mods would not be able to see it because it is a PM...and they can't see PMs.

BUT I WAS WRONG!!! THEY WERE ABLE TO SEE IT!!!

If you report a PM to mods then yes they can see it

I just got a spam in my PM box, linking to a forum for veterans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or you simply got a different spam message. But the one I recieved from 'robare', who is currently online at the time of this post, said it was for "vets" of Wall Street. Not the military.

That sounds like it. Wall street was in the link. I don't remember the username. Once I saw "banned", it went into the trash. I figured it had already been reported.

I know Barb got it. Her name was on the list.

I just got a spam in my PM box, linking to a forum for veterans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or you simply got a different spam message. But the one I recieved from 'robare', who is currently online at the time of this post, said it was for "vets" of Wall Street. Not the military.

That sounds like it. Wall street was in the link. I don't remember the username. Once I saw "banned", it went into the trash. I figured it had already been reported.

I know Barb got it. Her name was on the list.

it was greggy. i liked greggy. he was honest.

Just thinking that may restrict a noob from responding to a PM from a mod once they get set up. When I started a mod was questioning why my IP address matched that of another member. Turns out me , and someone who will remain nameless, work for the same company. +50k employees in +30 states and apparently every computer in the company shows the same IP address. :eusa_eh:

It looks like an idea, smells like one, sounds like one. Hey, what do you know an idea! It looks foolproof, which makes me wonder if it can possibly work.

9780001713260.jpg

Just thinking that may restrict a noob from responding to a PM from a mod once they get set up. When I started a mod was questioning why my IP address matched that of another member. Turns out me , and someone who will remain nameless, work for the same company. +50k employees in +30 states and apparently every computer in the company shows the same IP address. :eusa_eh:

It's not actually that uncommon. Well, certainly not in the U.K it isn't. It happened to me last year. And to a couple of friends and colleagues.

It's not actually that uncommon. Well, certainly not in the U.K it isn't. It happened to me last year. And to a couple of friends and colleagues.

What? There are people who have jobs in the UK? Wow! I thought y'all drew the dole. :lol:

Great idea!

But i think i would rather have them out sooner the watching them make inane posts until they can do their spaming work.

which is why they don't like to ban by IP

What? There are people who have jobs in the UK? Wow! I thought y'all drew the dole.

Yes, I couldn't believe it myself. And who would have thought that the U.K is officially the biggest investor in the U.S. Still, I suppose someone has to take our charity.

Rather like an estranged son who still recieves pocket money from his mother. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back