Zone1 Addressing the Disparate Impact of Social Security

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

As we all know, Social Security provides a retirement stipend for those who have worked a bit in the U.S., and those benefits are doled out on a schedule that is based on AGE. You can start collecting benefits at age 62 - the lowest level of benefits - and your benefits max out if you continue working to age 70.

It has long been known and accepted that women live longer than men, and therefore got more out of Social Security than men do, based on dollars per person over the life of collecting benefits.

Non-Hispanic "whites" live almost six years longer in the U.S. than do non-Hispanic Blacks. (Hispanics live longer than either). And if you count that from a "normal" retirement age of 65 or 66, "whites" are collecting more than twice as much as Blacks, in lifetime payouts from SS. Further, we know that poor people tend to work longer than middle-class or upper-class people, so one suspects that Blacks are more likely to be working up to and even past the age of 70. In that case, the racial difference might be much higher, with those Blacks only drawing SS for a year or two, or maybe not at all, as in the case of the linked personage.

Is this a problem?

As we all know, Social Security provides a retirement stipend for those who have worked a bit in the U.S., and those benefits are doled out on a schedule that is based on AGE. You can start collecting benefits at age 62 - the lowest level of benefits - and your benefits max out if you continue working to age 70.

It has long been known and accepted that women live longer than men, and therefore got more out of Social Security than men do, based on dollars per person over the life of collecting benefits.

Non-Hispanic "whites" live almost six years longer in the U.S. than do non-Hispanic Blacks. (Hispanics live longer than either). And if you count that from a "normal" retirement age of 65 or 66, "whites" are collecting more than twice as much as Blacks, in lifetime payouts from SS. Further, we know that poor people tend to work longer than middle-class or upper-class people, so one suspects that Blacks are more likely to be working up to and even past the age of 70. In that case, the racial difference might be much higher, with those Blacks only drawing SS for a year or two, or maybe not at all, as in the case of the linked personage.

Is this a problem?
Thank GOD everyone isn't living to 62. Those people who don't collect a cent pay for people who live a long long time. Isn't it great?

My grandmother lived and died in Detroit. THE HOOD. She managed to save $50K. I think back then she was getting 10% interest in her savings account so she lived off social security plus $400 a month.

She was never rich yet still managed to squirrel away $50k. People in the hood who are poor need to save more. Or get out of poverty. Don't have kids before you do. Or like me, if you want to stay firmly in the middle class and retire at 62-65, don't have any kids. Having kids is a sacrafice.

I suspect things are going to get worse. SS goes bankrupt the year I turn 62. I suspect we are all going to get 20% less. I pray I'm grandfathered in and they only do it to people who are younger than me. Like only fuck over people who are 30 years old or younger.

Is this a problem?

What does that have to do with him dying at 61?

Is this a problem?

I think we sold my grandmothers house for $30K? If that. Zillow Detroit homes. Then I google my home town and I see a $350,000 house. Why aren't black people saving more? Black culture. Ask a black person if they would dare wear off brand clothing or knock off Nike shoes. They won't. It's a "keeping up with the Jones" culture.

And rather than save the money they are saving from not having a big mortgage, they buy a $100,000 Escalade. Which will do nothing but lose value.

The connection is, that person undoubtedly paid THE MAX into SS for the last several years of his life, but never collected - and will never collect - a dime from that Trust Fund. He is typical of Black males who tend not to live very long lives.

The SS Trust Fund, while does not actually exist, will never run dry. You can bank on it.

The connection is, that person undoubtedly paid THE MAX into SS for the last several years of his life, but never collected - and will never collect - a dime from that Trust Fund. He is typical of Black males who tend not to live very long lives.

The SS Trust Fund, while does not actually exist, will never run dry. You can bank on it.
I love it when conservatives who normally argue against blacks use blacks as their excuse for why they don't like something. Like abortion. Republicans suggest Democrats love black people killing their babies.

And now you are saying because poor black die younger than whites they don't benefit from social security because they don't live as long as whites? What about the poor blacks that do? They want to be able to retire in their 60's like you rich white boys.

What we should do is pay a family 2 years of the dead's projected social security if they die before 62. So let's say they would have got $1200 a month at 62 years old. Well then give their family $1200 a month for 2 years. That will help them figure things out after losing the love one/bread winner.

The average black lives to be 78. Fuck off racist.

77.28 years (2020)

I love it when conservatives who normally argue against blacks use blacks as their excuse for why they don't like something. Like abortion. Republicans suggest Democrats love black people killing their babies.

And now you are saying because poor black die younger than whites they don't benefit from social security because they don't live as long as whites? What about the poor blacks that do? They want to be able to retire in their 60's like you rich white boys.

What we should do is pay a family 2 years of the dead's projected social security if they die before 62. So let's say they would have got $1200 a month at 62 years old. Well then give their family $1200 a month for 2 years. That will help them figure things out after losing the love one/bread winner.
Don't spouses get survivor benefits?

Don't spouses get survivor benefits?
Being a single man I say that's one place we could make cuts. She didn't work for that money. And most women today work. So we should eliminate survivor benefits. My mom worked for 20 years after my brother and I were grown. If my dad died, she should draw from that 20 years. My dad draws from his. if you are a one breadwinner home, the women doesn't get shit when daddy's gone.

Being a single man I say that's one place we could make cuts. She didn't work for that money. And most women today work. So we should eliminate survivor benefits. My mom worked for 20 years after my brother and I were grown. If my dad died, she should draw from that 20 years. My dad draws from his. if you are a one breadwinner home, the women doesn't get shit when daddy's gone.
It's interesting that you assumed that only women draw survivor benefits. Men can draw survivor benefits if they lose their wife according to what I've read.

• Fact
Reactions: IM2
It's interesting that you assumed that only women draw survivor benefits. Men can draw survivor benefits if they lose their wife according to what I've read.
My mom said she was going to ask for an application when we went to the ER as kids. My dad mocked her. What are you going to do he asked. Be a nurse? She said screw you and walked up to the front desk. Turned out they needed a front desk person on the graveyard shift. Perfect because we only had 1 car at the time. It payed pretty good but not as good as my dad's Ford Union job. Eventually she started doing medical billing but she wasn't certified to do it. You didn't have to be back then. But eventually she had to get certified. When she did, she started making more than my dad.

Of course she didn't get the pension my dad was going to get when she retired. But yea, I know that.

Wasn't one of Trump's dumb ideas to end payroll taxes?

Forum List

Back