Zone1 Addressing the Disparate Impact of Social Security

If you are rich and die at 61 you aren't worried about the money you left on the table. Your family will be fine. If you are not rich and want to retire at a decent age, like 65, you're going to need social security.

I'm so looking forward to being able to retire. And I have over a half million dollars. So with social security and medicare, I should be able to retire at 65. But what if I wasn't going to get social security? Would a half million be enough? Plus I would have to eat up my half mill. With social security I will be able to live off the interest and not touch the principle. I will be able to leave my nephews money when I die. It seems like Republicans don't want people to die with anything left. Eat up your life savings if you want to retire.

If I could get medicare at 62 I would retire at 62. Instead I have to work 3 more years. Republicans say I should have to slave for 5 more years? They want me to have to work till I'm 70? Who votes for Republicans? Yall must be really rich or really stupid.
I'm 83, still working, collecting SS, and loving it. Why throw stones at people that continue working after the German idea of retiring at 65. For many retirement isn't in their plans. Look at Warren Buffet, 93 and still working.

No it isn't my money. I can't spend more than the government allows me to have. The government can take it away any time it wants to. That this or that Republican suggests remedies for keeping Social Security solvent that you find unacceptable is a moot point because it can't happen without a vote of Congress and a signature by the President.

I find it unacceptable that the money I worked hard for and paid into social security won't go to my spouse or children or anybody I know if I die before I can collect it. So tell me again how it is 'my' money.
It’s a social contract we made. And think about all the old people who get to die with dignity because we made this contract. And I thought you were worried we”re living longer? Now you’re worried about the people who didn’t take care of themselves and died before 62? Such a small percent compared to all the people who will benefit. Plus you4 wife will get a percent. Like , 80%? It doesn’t cost my dad as much to live as my mom and dad cost. S9 she or he or your spouse won’t need 100%. that’s the thinking.

We did this because even big mouth hypocrites like you would be a burden on us without such a program. It’ll help pay your rent in the coop your kids put you in.

I'm 83, still working, collecting SS, and loving it. Why throw stones at people that continue working after the German idea of retiring at 65. For many retirement isn't in their plans. Look at Warren Buffet, 93 and still working.
I have no problem with people who want to work. I have a problem with people who don’t want to work anymore having to because they’re broke.

I saw what social security did for my grandparents.
Ss is very popular with Americans and republicans been trying to end it for years. Medicare too

I have no problem with people who want to work. I have a problem with people who don’t want to work anymore having to because they’re broke.
Most who 'have' to work after 65 did it to themselves. I have no sympathy for them.

It’s a social contract we made. And think about all the old people who get to die with dignity because we made this contract. And I thought you were worried we”re living longer? Now you’re worried about the people who didn’t take care of themselves and died before 62? Such a small percent compared to all the people who will benefit. Plus you4 wife will get a percent. Like , 80%? It doesn’t cost my dad as much to live as my mom and dad cost. S9 she or he or your spouse won’t need 100%. that’s the thinking.

We did this because even big mouth hypocrites like you would be a burden on us without such a program. It’ll help pay your rent in the coop your kids put you in.
I'll add you to the list of those who need a serious crash course in reading comprehension. Have a good night.

Most who 'have' to work after 65 did it to themselves. I have no sympathy for them.
That explains why you're a conservative Republican.

The median male salary in 2022 was $52,612. The median female salary was $39,688, 75% of what men earned, for full-time workers. U.S. salary by metro area and state: Households in Washington, D.C. had the highest median income in 2022, at $101,027.

They did it to themselves? Or did Unregulated Free Market Capitalism screw them over?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

That explains why you're a conservative Republican.

The median male salary in 2022 was $52,612. The median female salary was $39,688, 75% of what men earned, for full-time workers. U.S. salary by metro area and state: Households in Washington, D.C. had the highest median income in 2022, at $101,027.

They did it to themselves? Or did Unregulated Free Market Capitalism screw them over?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I'm conservative but I'm not a Republican.

When I started working back in the late 1950's I soon realized that in order to get ahead I needed to live like a monk or get a second job. Seems like nothing has changed.

I need more information to unpack this. What is the age and educational level of those low earners.

Last edited:
I need more information to unpack this. What is the age and educational level of those low earners. $100,000/yr. isn't that high for 'household income'.

What does it matter? Chances are they are uneducated. The masses. These are the people I'm most worried about when they are 65 and burned out. You want to make them work another 5 years, because we live longer? They don't do jobs that "they like" when they are 66. It's easy for someone who likes their job to say just work another 5 years. Most people don't have jobs they like.

Overall, 62.3 percent of US workers were satisfied in 2022—up from 60.2 percent in 2021. That's the highest level recorded since the survey began in 1987. Satisfaction has now surged for two consecutive years—rising 3.4 ppts in 2021 and 2.1 ppts in 2022.

I am retired and can tell you that half a million will go fast
Nothing beats my pension and SS for steady retirement income

I found this about US Job satisfaction.

Overall, 62.3 percent of US workers were satisfied in 2022—up from 60.2 percent in 2021. That's the highest level recorded since the survey began in 1987. Satisfaction has now surged for two consecutive years—rising 3.4 ppts in 2021 and 2.1 ppts in 2022.

So 33% are not satisfied with their jobs. And from the way Republicans here talk, it's them who aren't satisfied with their jobs. Republicans are a selfish breed. They only care about themselves, not how the masses are doing. To them, it's every man for himself. They're been complaining about how bad inflation has fucked them and clearly they aren't making enough. Not satisfied with their jobs.

They're been complaining about how bad inflation has fucked them and clearly they aren't making enough. Not satisfied with their jobs.

Republicans complain about inflation but refuse to hold employers responsible for paying higher wages
They block unions, freeze minimum wage, cut benefits and job security

Republicans complain about inflation but refuse to hold employers responsible for paying higher wages

If you go back and read about Social Security at the time of it's passage and the Roosevelt Fire Side Chats, SS was sold based on it being 1 of 3 pillars of support for the elderly:
  • Mandatory Employer Pensions
  • Personal Savings
  • Social Security as supplement

However one of those pillars has been knocked to the wayside for the vast majority of workers today. That being Mandatory Employer Pensions.

WW

What does it matter? Chances are they are uneducated. The masses. These are the people I'm most worried about when they are 65 and burned out. You want to make them work another 5 years, because we live longer? They don't do jobs that "they like" when they are 66. It's easy for someone who likes their job to say just work another 5 years. Most people don't have jobs they like.

People are conditioned to think 'retirement at 65'. It's a German idea that we bought into and places a time limit on our working life. Its main purpose is to make way for the next generation of workers. However, not everyone is financially able to retire at 65, so they have little choice but to keep working or reduce their standard of living.

Regarding job satisfaction, people have a lifetime to find something they like to do. They often succumb to other forces that limit their choices.

If you go back and read about Social Security at the time of it's passage and the Roosevelt Fire Side Chats, SS was sold based on it being 1 of 3 pillars of support for the elderly:
  • Mandatory Employer Pensions
  • Personal Savings
  • Social Security as supplement

However one of those pillars has been knocked to the wayside for the vast majority of workers today. That being Mandatory Employer Pensions.

WW
That has been replaced by 401ks
Personally, I prefer my pension

I told this Republican we do Social Security because most people won't save for retirement. He said it's their fault. I showed him
The median male salary in 2022 was $52,612. The median female salary was $39,688,

It's not their fault. At what point do we start blaming Unregulated Free Market Trickle Down Capitalism?

People are conditioned to think 'retirement at 65'. It's a German idea that we bought into and places a time limit on our working life. Its main purpose is to make way for the next generation of workers. However, not everyone is financially able to retire at 65, so they have little choice but to keep working or reduce their standard of living.

Regarding job satisfaction, people have a lifetime to find something they like to do. They often succumb to other forces that limit their choices.

I do what you're doing. Even if a con makes a good point, I send a yea but back. Bottom line. The median male salary in 2022 was $52,612. The median female salary was $39,688,

These people do not want to work beyond 65. If you cons are talking about maga then please don't tell me you want me to have to work another 5 years. Seems a bit hypocritical. You guys seem to want to make America less great. And I hear a lot of you also talk about how we're going to have to cut SS 20%. If that ever happens, I'll remember when I told you not to pass the Reagan, Bush or Trump tax cuts.

Too many people don't live within their means. The more frugal folks can live a comfortable retirement.

They only care about themselves, not how the masses are doing. To them, it's every man for himself.
At the end of the day, it is 'every man for himself' regardless if one is a strong individual or a weak member of 'the masses'.

At the end of the day, it is 'every man for himself' regardless if one is a strong individual or a weak member of 'the masses'.

I know at a non union company it is every man for himself. Employees don't have a seat at the table.

Fortunate for me I know exactly what I'm worth. I sell $2 million dollars a year, we make about $800K profit on that. Let's just take out my salary/commissions and all other costs and call it $600K. I know what my worth is. But I'm in sales. A lot of employees don't know their worth. And in non union companies, we don't know what our co workers make. Companies like that. This is not good for employees.

Republicans are more every man for himself and Democrats are more We are all in this together.

I told this Republican we do Social Security because most people won't save for retirement. He said it's their fault. I showed him
The median male salary in 2022 was $52,612. The median female salary was $39,688,

It's not their fault. At what point do we start blaming Unregulated Free Market Trickle Down Capitalism?
You can build a fortune on $50,000/yr. if you manage it properly.

And yet Democrats earn more than Republicans.

"In the end, many people assume Republicans are richer based on these figures. Although, this is only a look at the richest families and politicians in America though. In everyday American households, it seems that Democrats have a higher mean salary. It’s true that many of the wealthiest families in the country are contributing to Republican campaigns. On the contrary, families registered as Democrats have higher annual salaries than Republicans, statistically speaking."

Forum List

Back