Actual, free market medical care increases quality, lowers cost....vs. government control which decreases quality and increases cost.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
The story of a free market surgical center....the world needs more of these....

Word spread and many uninsured patients came to our facility, along with patients with high-deductible health plans and HSAs [health savings accounts]. Most of the Division I athletes had their surgery at our facility, and our reputation in the community grew more solid every day. Dr. Lantier and I were both trained in pediatric anesthesia and particularly enjoyed this part of our practice. Nothing better builds the practice of an anesthesiologist than the careful anesthetic treatment of someone’s child.

The area hospitals hated us because patients could buy their surgeries at our facility for less than their insurance deductible at the hospitals.

Paradoxically, no insurance companies would work with us.

We would not understand any of this until much later, when our posted prices clarified this for us. We were very busy and very successful, early on. Within six months, I was distributing sizeable profits to the partners monthly, while usually charging one-tenth what the hospitals were charging for the same service. We added to our “quote over the phone” price list every week, so patients could have an answer to their price question immediately.
----

It was no surprise to us that the hospitals were the first to attack us. They attacked us directly by attempting to ban physician ownership of facilities in the state. This was done under the banner of trauma care, the hospitals falsely claiming that if surgeons owned their own facilities, they would not treat trauma patients. No one knew, including me, that when the state legislature created the state trauma task force the underlying mission was to close physician-owned facilities. A Democrat legislator who saw us as an underdog, a champion of the poor, told me with a wink and a nod that I needed to be on this task force, a business-saving favor he and I have since acknowledged. Our facility, and another that had copied our model, were the obvious targets of this task force and surprisingly there was no plan in place if representatives of either of our facilities argued our case in person. Our unexpected invitation and inclusion in this wannabe Star Chamber derailed their plans to ban our existence.
----

Because patients could pay the entirety of the cost of their care for less than their deductible and copay at in-network area hospitals, the insurance companies, paying us out of network, received intense pressure from the area hospitals for this lost business. Likely threatened with retaliation in the form of higher prices billed to the insurance companies by these hospitals, the insurance groups began stacking deductibles, a process where patients going out of network had to meet their in-network deductible, then start again at “zero” to accumulate any out-of-network benefit. This deductible stacking put our facility out of financial reach of most patients who were insured who would otherwise rather pay us directly. Our waiting room was empty, and we faced closure. Up until this point we had grown so rapidly that we had built the large facility we now occupy, and fortunately paid for its construction without debt. This brand-new f

Why so many Canadians go here?

The first patients to arrive after we posted prices were Canadians. This was instructive, as these patients had so-called insurance coverage. There was no access, however, to the care that many of them required. The most common story then as now for the Canadians was a patient waiting two years to see a gynecologist for a hysterectomy to stop their bleeding, bleeding usually so severe that intermittent transfusions were required. For $8,000, which covers the facility, surgeon, anesthesia, pathology, and an overnight stay at the surgery center, Canadians can end their nightmare. The first question a Canadian asks when they call us is how long they’ll have to wait. Our answer that there is no waiting time is met with disbelief.

A Canadian friend of mine has told me the old joke that no Canadian is truly content unless standing in line. You should know that there are Harriet Tubman–like brokers who help Canadians cross the border, finding for them affordable medical solutions essentially unavailable in Canada.

The Canadian system is working proof that bureaucratic rationing is a murderous disaster, whatever flaws market naysayers can conjure up about market allocation of resources. Millions of Canadians have discovered that the only single payer upon which they can truly rely is themselves.

Often at regular hospitals, a much lower price than that charged to an insurance company can be negotiated if the patient pays the hospital directly.

Canadians of course understand this. Worse, the covert police decide who gains access, if you are deemed "unworthy", you will have to die while their kids get first dibs.

It's the same with our economy, on a collusion course with insolvency due to decades of central control, meddling and destruction while losing our best and brightest.

Our local hospital has discounts if you pay your part the same day (30%) or in full the first month (20%). The same day is hard to do because often you cannot pay the whole bill because they don't know what it is yet so you are really getting the 30% off the base charge for walking in the door and that is it.

Obamacare has Driven Down Healthcare Cost & Insured More Citizens!!! Just like Hillary Care under Clinton!
fredgraph.png

Forum List

Back