Abuse of Social Programs

Perhaps some of you saw it - on Judge Judy a few weeks back - a young girl, I think she said she was 20, was suing someone.
Skipping the whole story and just listing the facts:

1) She was getting $1400 a month in unemployment from a state agency that takes medicare money and pays for home healthcare "professionals" to care of bed-ridden elderly. (She has zero previous experience)
2) The woman she was "working" to take care of was her grandmother.
3) She received $907 every 2 weeks.
4) She was "laid off".
5) Her Aunt was "hired" to replace her.
6) The girl herself was "hired" in the first place to replace her Mother who is CURRENTLY also receiving $1400 a month in unemployment for being "laid off".

Total cost to taxpayers per month for all 3 women: $4614

Anyone want to bet that this agency is in on the scam...and very likely many others?

I saw it and JJ dismissed her case. But not all 3 received it at the same time. The testimony may have indicated that but that is not how it works.
No matter how it works I oppose that. HH is abused by all.

The "laid off" girl who filed for unemployment also should have had no problem finding similar work, a requirement of most state employment offices before compensation can continue. Unfortunately, service jobs like that are about the only ones not in shortage as a result of this down economy.

Perhaps some of you saw it - on Judge Judy a few weeks back - a young girl, I think she said she was 20, was suing someone.
Skipping the whole story and just listing the facts:

1) She was getting $1400 a month in unemployment from a state agency that takes medicare money and pays for home healthcare "professionals" to care of bed-ridden elderly. (She has zero previous experience)
2) The woman she was "working" to take care of was her grandmother.
3) She received $907 every 2 weeks.
4) She was "laid off".
5) Her Aunt was "hired" to replace her.
6) The girl herself was "hired" in the first place to replace her Mother who is CURRENTLY also receiving $1400 a month in unemployment for being "laid off".

Total cost to taxpayers per month for all 3 women: $4614

Anyone want to bet that this agency is in on the scam...and very likely many others?

I saw it and JJ dismissed her case. But not all 3 received it at the same time. The testimony may have indicated that but that is not how it works.

She regularly dismisses cases filed by people she learns is scamming the system.
My bad I guess on the thinking all 3 got it at same time....at any rate...3 family members getting paid and receiving unemployment for absolutely nothing is as unbelievable as it is common.

Frankly, I don't know what's going on with state employment offices who are SUPPOSED TO make weekly decisions over every single claim and whether it merits continuance. In Vermont, to claim weekly uninsurance benefits means hitting the streets and actually talking to potential employers, which then must be listed on a form and submitted to the local employment office every week. They then CALL those contacts to make sure you're not lying, and if you are, forget it: You're finished. No more compensation. Are they just not doing this anymore?

Again, at least in Vermont, a person claiming unemployment compensation is only allowed the first 26 weeks to reject an employment offer in the same job discipline from which he/she was laid off. After that, they are expected to accept any job offer outside of their expertise AND salary range. Are they not doing this either?

Solid case of why everyone should be drug tested before they get they gubbmint check.

Corrections and parole officers deal with this on the hour. Get their opinion first and they tell you a different story in their real world.
What are you going to do? Test them every month?
The only reliable drug test out there is hair follicle.
$700 a whap.
So you pay $8400.00 a year to drug test them?
Great 30 second sound bite for a political candidate but in the real world would not work. Piss in a jar is about 50% reliable, if that.
And guess what? These folks have a gallon jug filled with PRESCRIPTION DOPE, which by law can not be included in any probation or parole violations as it is from a "doctor".
They prefer the prescription dope 10-1 anyway. That is the good stuff.

Wingnuts will cut govt spending by wasting $BILLIONS$ to drug test the disabled

Not this wingnut. The people I usually hear who want to control the lives of those on government programs, who want to determine who lives, who dies, who eats what...are liberal wingnuts. Lars Larsen would like all food stamp recipients to have mandatory drug testing; but he's the only one I'm aware of who wants that. I know I certainly don't....these programs prevent children of drug addicts from starving to death.

She regularly dismisses cases filed by people she learns is scamming the system.
My bad I guess on the thinking all 3 got it at same time....at any rate...3 family members getting paid and receiving unemployment for absolutely nothing is as unbelievable as it is common.

Frankly, I don't know what's going on with state employment offices who are SUPPOSED TO make weekly decisions over every single claim and whether it merits continuance. In Vermont, to claim weekly uninsurance benefits means hitting the streets and actually talking to potential employers, which then must be listed on a form and submitted to the local employment office every week. They then CALL those contacts to make sure you're not lying, and if you are, forget it: You're finished. No more compensation. Are they just not doing this anymore?

Again, at least in Vermont, a person claiming unemployment compensation is only allowed the first 26 weeks to reject an employment offer in the same job discipline from which he/she was laid off. After that, they are expected to accept any job offer outside of their expertise AND salary range. Are they not doing this either?

The problem shows that the rightwing myth about local and state govts being more efficient is just another lie.

I have an ex-boyfriend who's 40 year old roomate currently collects disability on the government because she cannot "breathe properly". She is on oxygen however she smokes close to a carton of cigarrettes a day as well as uses the money to buy drugs. Because she is on oxygen the government also pays her electric bill - which is always unusually high due to the fact that they have purchased expensive lighting because they use these lights to grow marijuana plants. Is this an abuse of our programs? How typical are these situations and what can be done?

I once worked for a very wealthy chum who specialized in buying up slums and filling them with Chapter 8 housing clients because he knew he could maintain those places as slums ( the government paid far too much for the rents there) and get away with it as long as he bribed the right people.

What ought to be done about people like that?

If they were slums to begin with, they wouldn't have passed HUD inspection. So he must have allowed them to turn into dumps and hope that his units wouldn't be inspected. There is a senior housing project covered by Section 8 near where I live, and annual inspections are normal. So I don't know how they get away with it to tell you the truth. The problem with Section 8 housing usually is trying to evict tenants who get approved but have no intention of ever paying even their portion of the rent.

Corrections and parole officers deal with this on the hour. Get their opinion first and they tell you a different story in their real world.
$700 a whap.
Great 30 second sound bite for a political candidate but in the real world would not work. Piss in a jar is about 50% reliable, if that.
And guess what? These folks have a gallon jug filled with PRESCRIPTION DOPE, which by law can not be included in any probation or parole violations as it is from a "doctor".

Not this wingnut. The people I usually hear who want to control the lives of those on government programs, who want to determine who lives, who dies, who eats what...are liberal wingnuts. Lars Larsen would like all food stamp recipients to have mandatory drug testing; but he's the only one I'm aware of who wants that. I know I certainly don't....these programs prevent children of drug addicts from starving to death.

Ummm, the entire State of Texas drug tests people who get food stamps. I doubt Lars Larsen passed the TX law all by himself

Gadawg73 wrote:

As a citizen in a socialized medical disability program she has a duty to practice health decisions that affect her health positively.
Most private insurers regularly check up on their disability patients and if they do not follow certain guidelines for their recovery and therapy then they do not receive further disability payments.
Our tax dollars are not grown on trees and the amount of $ that is paid into the system as social security is not even close to an acturial dollar amount of current and future claims for disability.
The system should not reward her for bad choices. It doesn't in the provate sector and it should not in the public.

No private disability policy has any provision whatsoever about making healthier choices in future after the initial award. NONE.

They can increase your premium if they find out you smoke, or if you're collecting for the diability related to smoking, they will drop you like a hot potato if they can prove you're still smoking. And don't kid yourself that they don't have ways of finding this stuff out, such as requesting updates from the doctor once that release is signed allowing them to get doctor reports.

I have an ex-boyfriend who's 40 year old roomate currently collects disability on the government because she cannot "breathe properly". She is on oxygen however she smokes close to a carton of cigarrettes a day as well as uses the money to buy drugs. Because she is on oxygen the government also pays her electric bill - which is always unusually high due to the fact that they have purchased expensive lighting because they use these lights to grow marijuana plants. Is this an abuse of our programs? How typical are these situations and what can be done?

Report him anonymously to the local social services office and request that they send a person out to follow up on his "claim." Unless someone does that, these things go on indefinitely. You can also report it here:

Fraud Hotline

I would do both, and I have. It may be more difficult if the person is on Social Security retirement and not SSD or SSI, but they should still be made aware that a person is blatantly abusing the system. A carton a day? I don't think this person will live much longer anyway by breathing pure oxygen and THEN smoking a cigarette!

You assume the story isn't made up. Filing flase reports might be a crime, and are definitely a civil tort.

It's all done anonymously, for one thing. And it's not the same as filing a false criminal report to the police. My point is that fraud and abuse will continue until people start turning these jokers in. Maybe the person in question deserves some pity, but I think the majority of abusers do not. They know EXACTLY what they're doing: Getting something for nothing. I've known of people who have an army of "references" and phony doctors to attest to the severity of their claims who get kickbacks. It makes me sick, especially when so many people are denied a claim for some frivolous reason but they actually need the help, and they must then go through the lengthy process of appeals.

$700 a whap.

It isn't about "control." It's about either spending the money up front to save lives, or spending money down the road when people can legitimately no longer work, feed themselves properly or pay their rent, and when that happens having to take care of them anyway. People who abuse the system aren't necessarily "liberal wingnuts," but just lazy slobs who don't give a shit about politics.

That only works in states with the manpower to enforce it, my ex wife got unemployment when she got out of the Military in Nebraska and they did the same thing as Vermont. However I have lived in California and Virginia and the people who work in the unemployment offices there are very understaffed and over worked, ESPECIALLY California. All you have to do in California is mail in a paper each 2 weeks claiming your unemployment and they mail it, no need to even write down the jobs you applied for. In Virginia you have to call in on the weekend and deal with an automated machine to get your unemployment and they don't verify anything either. With the huge amount of unemployed in the states it is virtually impossible to keep track of all of them and verify whether or not they are looking for work.

The problem shows that the rightwing myth about local and state govts being more efficient is just another lie.

On that I would agree.

It isn't about "control." It's about either spending the money up front to save lives, or spending money down the road when people can legitimately no longer work, feed themselves properly or pay their rent, and when that happens having to take care of them anyway. People who abuse the system aren't necessarily "liberal wingnuts," but just lazy slobs who don't give a shit about politics.

I didn't say the abusers were liberal wingnuts. I said liberal wingnuts are the ones who want to control the people they stick on these programs.

Though most people who expect the system to pay for their ciggies and dope are liberals, this is true.

Ummm, the entire State of Texas drug tests people who get food stamps. I doubt Lars Larsen passed the TX law all by himself

They must be tested as part of an overall state program then that includes food stamps. Food stamp allocation all alone is a federal operation. A lot of people are on it who are not entitled to anything else.

I didn't say the abusers were liberal wingnuts. I said liberal wingnuts are the ones who want to control the people they stick on these programs.

Though most people who expect the system to pay for their ciggies and dope are liberals, this is true.

No, they're not. And that was my point in adding that. Trust me, I've been exposed to some of these slackers, and they barely know the name of the president, nor do they care.

You are lying. I saw the same show, and you are lying about the circumstances.

For example, Medicare doesn't pay for unemployment. They are two completely different programs. She was being paid by Medicare to care for her mom.

It's a special program Medicare has. When my mom was first diagnosed with Alzheimers, I stopped working and applied for the program, but I was not eligible for it

You know...you are an idiot.
Just a plain idiot.
If you saw the show then you are too stupid to understand English.
If you didn't see the show - then you are a troll for calling someone a liar where you don't know jack sh*t.

In either case - shut up.

This moron doesn't want to admit he claimed the woman was receiving unemployment for taking care of her mom:lol:

There you go again showing your ass.
That either proves you didn't see the show, or if you did - you are too stupid to understand it.
The girls Aunt and her Mother both received unemployment from the state agency that "hired" them for "caring" for their Mother/Sister.

Go away...no wonder you only have an embarrassingly 13 rep point for 1000's of posts.

No, they're not. And that was my point in adding that. Trust me, I've been exposed to some of these slackers, and they barely know the name of the president, nor do they care.

Have you now. That's great. As I said, you exemplify the lefty need to denigrate and control their fellow humans...while pretending to care, so you can get your hands on $$ yourself.

Have you now. That's great. As I said, you exemplify the lefty need to denigrate and control their fellow humans...while pretending to care, so you can get your hands on $$ yourself.

WTF?? You talk about denigrating, so what did I say to deserve that? I countered your point about "control" (nicely), and went on to suggest that many of those who are takers couldn't care less about politics. So what do YOU do? Add a retort (more of a snort) denigrating me. What the fuck is WRONG with you? You've always struck me as a person who isn't happy unless she's miserable, and this is a perfect example. You've got to be insulting and nasty in order to be happy. Pathetic.

Are you mentally ill? I ask in all seriousness.

Sorry, dear, I'm not the one who looks foolish here. I take great issue with the people to abuse the system, and said so in several posts in this thread. So for you to make the accusation that twists that into my wanting to take $$ from the system for myself not only doesn't make any sense, but it's the most stupid thing I've ever read.

Forum List

Back