Absinthe AKA "The Green Fairy"

Cenotaph

2+2=4
May 7, 2012
It's not wine, but some find it to be a contemporary of it.

Absinthe is a liquor that is based around wormwood, anise, and fennel. It's very high in alcohol content (usually 120 proof), and requires water dilution enable for the drink to be drinkable. It often comes in a green color (referred to as a "verte"), but it can come colorless/clear (a "blanche"), blue, brown, etc. It was banned for its notorious history back in the early 20th Century, but was recently legalized in 2007. Unfortunately, it's rather expensive at the moment due to low demand and production.

I have recently become a tremendous fan of it, an I'm currently drinking a Vieux Carre, which is a wonderful and herbaceous bottle of absinthe.

Anyone else a fan or at least curious about it?

Shot glass with sugar around the rim. Flame it for a moment before drinking. Listen to 60's early 70's rock while you smoke a Cuban cigar chased with local brewed bier. Best locations for indulging are Irish Pub's or dingy basement bars in eastern Europe.

Shot glass with sugar around the rim. Flame it for a moment before drinking. Listen to 60's early 70's rock while you smoke a Cuban cigar chased with local brewed bier. Best locations for indulging are Irish Pub's or dingy basement bars in eastern Europe.

Yea, drinking it straight and lighting it on fire ruins a perfectly good glass of absinthe.

Absinthe is a disgusting liquor brewed by gypsies and other assorted riff-raff. I even started a thread on it a while back in this very forum after my brother brought some back from the continent. It was vile.

Last edited:
It's not wine, but some find it to be a contemporary of it.

Absinthe is a liquor that is based around wormwood, anise, and fennel. It's very high in alcohol content (usually 120 proof), and requires water dilution enable for the drink to be drinkable. It often comes in a green color (referred to as a "verte"), but it can come colorless/clear (a "blanche"), blue, brown, etc. It was banned for its notorious history back in the early 20th Century, but was recently legalized in 2007. Unfortunately, it's rather expensive at the moment due to low demand and production.

I have recently become a tremendous fan of it, an I'm currently drinking a Vieux Carre, which is a wonderful and herbaceous bottle of absinthe.

Anyone else a fan or at least curious about it?

I have had a few good experiences on absinthe. You need good quality absinthe for the desired effect.

"Absinthe is the aphrodisiac of the self. The green fairy who lives in the absinthe wants your soul. But you are safe with me."
~ Dracula

Forum List

Back