About half of America's new college graduates are working in high school-level jobs like food service and retail: report

That’s happening because we’ve encouraged every average Tom, Dick, and Harry to go to college, when in previous generations they would have been simply high school graduates, because that reflects their abilities and intelligence.

So they enroll in easy, non-marketable majors like General Studies, Women’s Studies, Ethnic Studies, Sociology, etc., and graduate with nothing of value to an employer.

The REAL “college-material” students who majored in accounting, engineering, architecture, etc., are working in their fields - and their career earnings are substantially higher.

We need to stop encouraging mediocre students to go to so-so colleges where they major in a made-up discipline - and instead get them into a voca program.

That’s happening because we’ve encouraged every average Tom, Dick, and Harry to go to college, when in previous generations they would have been simply high school graduates, because that reflects their abilities and intelligence.

So they enroll in easy, non-marketable majors like General Studies, Women’s Studies, Ethnic Studies, Sociology, etc., and graduate with nothing of value to an employer.

The REAL “college-material” students who majored in accounting, engineering, architecture, etc., are working in their fields - and their career earnings are substantially higher.

We need to stop encouraging mediocre students to go to so-so colleges where they major in a made-up discipline - and instead get them into a voca program.

And some of the worst students go into journalism and education

I'm not sure it's even that.
Seen the quality of the graffiti on the bathroom stalls on campuses lately?
FWIW, even forty years ago about half or more of entering college students needed to take bonehead English and Basic Math since high schools back then seldom taught that well enough for college entry level.

Some of the subject areas, physical sciences, engineering, and medical still turn out quality worthy of the degree, but grads in those fields are a minority of the total churned out.

I've heard that some areas in the USA you can get a college degree without knowing what used to be high school level arithmetic or basic English skills.
To your last point first: yes, high school graduates of yesteryear were superior to college graduates of “general” degrees today.

As far as the mediocre college students of 40 years ago who had to take remedial English and math, maybe in the so-so colleges. Those weren’t even options in my university.

What has sprung up are hundreds of so-so colleges, accepting mediocre students who need 11th grade math and English classes, because 1) we are encouraging every kid to go to college, and 2) the so-so colleges have sprung up to accommodate them BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT IS GIVING OUT LOANS.

The solution is for the government to lend money only to those in marketable majors. Kids who want to major in Black Studies or Women’s Studies can do so on their own dime.

And some of the worst students go into journalism and education
I don‘t Know about journalism, but the average IQ of education majors is pulling up the rear.

The solution is for the government to lend money only to those in marketable majors. Kids who want to major in Black Studies or Women’s Studies can do so on their own dime.
Thats a good idea

Thats a good idea
Thanks. The federal government could come out with a list of “supported majors” - running the gamut from Accounting to Veterinarian Science - with all others ineligible for the Federal Student Loan program.

The result would be that there are fewer kids majoring in Gender Studies who Instead go to a vocational program. These programs, too, will be supported if they are on the list - from AC technician to X-ray technician.

A college education = fraud for most.
They can be true in some cases. I did ensure my kids got degrees in solid fields. When they graduated they had one option which was a college degree. They were not permitted to just enter the workforce, hang around and do nothing, no military, no traveling abroad.

I'm not sure it's even that.
Seen the quality of the graffiti on the bathroom stalls on campuses lately?
FWIW, even forty years ago about half or more of entering college students needed to take bonehead English and Basic Math since high schools back then seldom taught that well enough for college entry level.

Some of the subject areas, physical sciences, engineering, and medical still turn out quality worthy of the degree, but grads in those fields are a minority of the total churned out.

I've heard that some areas in the USA you can get a college degree without knowing what used to be high school level arithmetic or basic English skills.
Oh, you've "heard." :rolleyes:

They can be true in some cases. I did ensure my kids got degrees in solid fields. When they graduated they had one option which was a college degree. They were not permitted to just enter the workforce, hang around and do nothing, no military, no traveling abroad.
Why no military?

Thanks. The federal government could come out with a list of “supported majors” - running the gamut from Accounting to Veterinarian Science - with all others ineligible for the Federal Student Loan program.

The result would be that there are fewer kids majoring in Gender Studies who Instead go to a vocational program. These programs, too, will be supported if they are on the list - from AC technician to X-ray technician.
You are really onto something

But it would put a ton of democrats at the universities out of work

Maybe they could cross train as plumbers and someday apply their teaching certificates to become instructors at the vocational schools

You are really onto something

But it would put a ton of democrats at the universities out of work

Maybe they could cross train as plumbers and someday apply their teaching certificates to become instructors at the vocational schools
Thanks. Your idea about cross-training is good.

How about a requirement that any student who majors in the ridiculous majors ALSO has to take at least 18 credit hours in a trade in order to graduate?

Thanks. Your idea about cross-training is good.

How about a requirement that any student who majors in the ridiculous majors ALSO has to take at least 18 credit hours in a trade in order to graduate?
I would prefer to let the students decide that for themselves

Without tuition assistance for female or black grievance studies most snowflakes will not bother with them

Forum List

Back