A Warning About the Growing Tribalism of American Voters

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Obama pollster: Voters divided in 'tribes,' politics 'increasingly segregated, tribal'

And he said that it is his goal at Harvard to mend politics and encourage students to approach voting differently and address race.

"Going back to the founding of America, race has always played a role in our culture and our politics and we shouldn't pretend that it doesn't and we can't and we can't solve for the problem if we pretend that race matters don't matter, because you know what, in this country, race matters really matter and they've always really mattered," said the pollster.

The goal: One tribe of American voters.

"If we don't fix this and our politics is going to continue to be even more segregated and more polarized as the demographics of our country continue to change. If we don't fix for this, I think our future in politics in this country is going to be problematic," said Belcher, adding, "I think you will see more dysfunction. I think you will see our politics, our legislative bodies come to a complete halt, more so than they already have, if we don't solve for this problem, if we can't solve for the tribalism in our politics and be one big tribe and not several separate smaller tribes."

It strikes me that one way of ending the tribalism and polarization of American voters is to STOP SETTING US UP AGAINST EACH OTHER.

Doesn't matter as long as all our elections boil down to just 2 candidates.
We need a change in Congress, like making the House a Parliamentary system, but I think if the Senmators go back to being elected by state congresses instead of a popular vote, this will begin to edge out the corporations influence as state wide elections are very expensive.

Obama pollster: Voters divided in 'tribes,' politics 'increasingly segregated, tribal'

And he said that it is his goal at Harvard to mend politics and encourage students to approach voting differently and address race.

"Going back to the founding of America, race has always played a role in our culture and our politics and we shouldn't pretend that it doesn't and we can't and we can't solve for the problem if we pretend that race matters don't matter, because you know what, in this country, race matters really matter and they've always really mattered," said the pollster.

The goal: One tribe of American voters.

"If we don't fix this and our politics is going to continue to be even more segregated and more polarized as the demographics of our country continue to change. If we don't fix for this, I think our future in politics in this country is going to be problematic," said Belcher, adding, "I think you will see more dysfunction. I think you will see our politics, our legislative bodies come to a complete halt, more so than they already have, if we don't solve for this problem, if we can't solve for the tribalism in our politics and be one big tribe and not several separate smaller tribes."

It strikes me that one way of ending the tribalism and polarization of American voters is to STOP SETTING US UP AGAINST EACH OTHER.
and why RACE?

and if anyone else had mentioned tribalism and race in the same piece,,,

In a video for the school's Institute of Politics to tout his study group, "Tribal America – Racial Polarization in the American," the respected and influential pollster said that Obama's election inspired minorities, but also pushed whites away.

==================

The Washington Examiner conflated a talk on race in politics to a wider division in politics.

The Washington Times and the Washington Examiner are two media outlets that should be viewed with healthy doses of skepticism and cynicism

Forum List

Back