A Taste of Homeschooling

Stossel is correct. I home schooled my kids. They did great and we had lots of free time to do other things. It was cool because I lived in Northern Virginia for several years so we went to all the Civil War battlefields, the Smithsonian -- a lot of learning that actually sticks. Nowadays, my grandkids have access to so much knowledge on their computers. My 10 year old grandson knows things I've never even heard of. But, not all parents can get off their phones long enough to give their kids any kind of attention, so I don't know how many will take the opportunity.

Bring it on.
Homeschool Away. Literally.

I have had previous HS students enter my math class, because they are STILL homeschooled in PE and ART, but are so far behind their peers because the parents can't handle the math. FRACTIONS, no, not fractions.

Now sure, there are plenty of capable HS parents, but in GENERAL, Public school is good for normal education and socialization.

Stossel is correct. I home schooled my kids. They did great and we had lots of free time to do other things. It was cool because I lived in Northern Virginia for several years so we went to all the Civil War battlefields, the Smithsonian -- a lot of learning that actually sticks. Nowadays, my grandkids have access to so much knowledge on their computers. My 10 year old grandson knows things I've never even heard of. But, not all parents can get off their phones long enough to give their kids any kind of attention, so I don't know how many will take the opportunity.
Stossel is correct in the sense that, IFF, the parents are involved, then great things can happen, but they better involve those HS children in outside activities, like church, dance, sports, etc. or the child will be a social idiot.

Stossel is incorrect that HS is the 'better choice' It all depends on the parent and the child.
In this distant learning time, I have one particular student that really was into math.
I asked him, "How is it going with this google classroom platform"

His response, "I really like it, but i miss my friends and teachers"

This kid will be FINE in ANY environment, because he is self motivated.
Can this be said about other students?

I'm just sick of the hate for public education when MOST teachers work their ass off to help students, then we have to hear the RWI's (Right Wing Idiot's) response of sarcasm with statements like "It's all for the children, right."

Bring it on.
Homeschool Away. Literally.

I have had previous HS students enter my math class, because they are STILL homeschooled in PE and ART, but are so far behind their peers because the parents can't handle the math. FRACTIONS, no, not fractions.

Now sure, there are plenty of capable HS parents, but in GENERAL, Public school is good for normal education and socialization.

Math was always my favorite subject, and we used A Beka which is always reveiwing -- doesn't give students a chance to forget. Math and lots of reading (Classics) is the best preparation there is. :)

Stossel is correct in the sense that, IFF, the parents are involved, then great things can happen, but they better involve those HS children in outside activities, like church, dance, sports, etc. or the child will be a social idiot.

Stossel is incorrect that HS is the 'better choice' It all depends on the parent and the child.
In this distant learning time, I have one particular student that really was into math.
I asked him, "How is it going with this google classroom platform"

His response, "I really like it, but i miss my friends and teachers"

This kid will be FINE in ANY environment, because he is self motivated.
Can this be said about other students?

I'm just sick of the hate for public education when MOST teachers work their ass off to help students, then we have to hear the RWI's (Right Wing Idiot's) response of sarcasm with statements like "It's all for the children, right."

Yes, there are advantages and disadvantages for both. With my kids we had karate, 4H, horse shows, lots of field trips, and home church with several families and lots of kids. It worked well for us. My oldest daughter is an early education teacher, works for the UofO and specializes in autistic kids. Teachers are my favorite people. They are undervalued and underpaid, and they don't always agree with what they are required to teach through the school system.

And, schools are often the only escape from a horrible home life, so they are indispensable in my book.

Forum List

Back