Home schooling: the best and worst examples I've seen personally.

Private schools do very well in this country and would be a much better choice for most Americans if they could afford it. The voucher program allows children who would otherwise be forced into low- performing public schools to be able to attend better schools. We are moving towards that here in Florida and that is a good thing.

The filthy ass government forces us to pay taxes to provide for schools so why not allow us the freedom to choose how that money is spent?
Taxation With Representation Empowers an Oligarchic Clique

Which brings up my unique suggestion that on a citizen's tax form, he can tell the government what percentage of his tax bill they must allocate to each Department.

Taxation With Representation Empowers an Oligarchic Clique

Which brings up my unique suggestion that on a citizen's tax form, he can tell the government what percentage of his tax bill they must allocate to each Department.
School vouchers are always the best option.

The government forces every taxpayer to contribute towards an education system so why have it so that the money only goes to the government monopoly? Especially when that monopoly peoduces such crummy schools?

That system deprives million of children of a quality education.

When we did it, one of us had to have a college degree, so yes, there are requirements.
There s no requirement that a home school parent have any kind of degree. They don't even have to have completed 9th grade. Some states might have their own requirements, but there is no federal law requiring it.

There s no requirement that a home school parent have any kind of degree. They don't even have to have completed 9th grade. Some states might have their own requirements, but there is no federal law requiring it.
Right, each district can decide what it wants to do, and a lot of times, that includes input from the local government school system. In our situation, it was required.

The government forces every taxpayer to contribute towards an education system, so why have it so that the money only goes to the government monopoly? Especially when that monopoly produces such crummy schools?

That system deprives million of children of a quality education.
Winning by Weakening the Competition

Preppies such as Dumbo Dubya are so stupid that even their expensive schools can't make them smart. So the plutocracy decided to dumb down the public schools instead. It's the only way the simplistic, decadent, and lazy 1% can maintain its power. But we'll never hear that from the educationists they hire.

Home schooling seems to be a very polarizing subject. I believe it can be a positive IF the home schooled kids are integrated into a public school by high school age for sports or some other extra-curricular activity. Here are the best and worst examples of home schooling that I know of personally. Feel free to share your personal experiences with home schooling.

Best: A family of 5 kids all home schooled by both parents but mostly the Mother. Very traditional Christian family Father a minister/basketball coach Mother was stay-at-home until kids were high school age. Four of the five have either graduated college or attending now. The youngest is high school age very bright and on track for college scholarships. All five kids have very outgoing personalities and doing very well.

Worst: A wealthy family of 4 kids all home schooled by the stay-at-home Mom. Extremely sports oriented, most of the time and effort was spent on the oldest two kids for baseball and soccer. The baseball player quit while trying out for high school baseball and was basically disowned by the Dad. He was seriously depressed and on strong meds for years but is now doing better. The Soccer player has a scholarship to Ole Miss but is terrified of going because she is not prepared emotionally or academically. The youngest two kids are a mess, no interest in anything, no friends, very very anti-social and OCD to the max.

The other examples I know of fall somewhere in between, but mostly lean toward positive results and religious reasons for home schooling.
How wrong you are...I can't give it away but I know a hugely successful home schooling group. THe parents want the kids out of school, they hand them over to this group and when asked parents say "we are homeschooling' !!
Brilliant bypasses all the roadblocks

How wrong you are...I can't give it away but I know a hugely successful home schooling group. THe parents want the kids out of school, they hand them over to this group and when asked parents say "we are homeschooling' !!
You present some "mysterious" group that takes kids and educates them to disparage home schooling. That is not home schooling obviously. I am not advocating for home or against schooling, perhaps you should re-read my first post.

At its core, "homeschooling" merely represents the parents taking their kids out of the government schools and taking responsibility to educate the kids themselves. How they do it is then up to them.

Quite frankly, I think that's what scares so many government school advocates, the fact that so many kids are taken out of government's reach.

Home schooling seems to be a very polarizing subject. I believe it can be a positive IF the home schooled kids are integrated into a public school by high school age for sports or some other extra-curricular activity. Here are the best and worst examples of home schooling that I know of personally. Feel free to share your personal experiences with home schooling.

Best: A family of 5 kids all home schooled by both parents but mostly the Mother. Very traditional Christian family Father a minister/basketball coach Mother was stay-at-home until kids were high school age. Four of the five have either graduated college or attending now. The youngest is high school age very bright and on track for college scholarships. All five kids have very outgoing personalities and doing very well.

Worst: A wealthy family of 4 kids all home schooled by the stay-at-home Mom. Extremely sports oriented, most of the time and effort was spent on the oldest two kids for baseball and soccer. The baseball player quit while trying out for high school baseball and was basically disowned by the Dad. He was seriously depressed and on strong meds for years but is now doing better. The Soccer player has a scholarship to Ole Miss but is terrified of going because she is not prepared emotionally or academically. The youngest two kids are a mess, no interest in anything, no friends, very very anti-social and OCD to the max.

The other examples I know of fall somewhere in between, but mostly lean toward positive results and religious reasons for home schooling.

Seen a lot of great homeschooled situations.

The worse was an upper elem student who came in from "homeschooling" who could not read. I mean, not at all. Not simple words, like the, and, to. She did not know all of her letters and sounds either.

The worse was an upper elem student who came in from "homeschooling" who could not read. I mean, not at all. Not simple words, like the, and, to. She did not know all of her letters and sounds either.
Those parents let her down. There's no excuse for that.

And that's the problem. Without regular tests or evaluation, those poor uneducated children are condemned to a life of poverty.

And that's the problem. Without regular tests or evaluation, those poor uneducated children are condemned to a life of poverty.

We all know you want to ban homeschooling so just come out and say it. You hate choice except when it's the choice to kill your baby, amirite?

We all know you want to ban homeschooling so just come out and say it. You hate choice except when it's the choice to kill your baby, amirite?
Home school all you want. I just think there should be provisions to assure the children are actually receiving an education.

What about the poor, uneducated children being spewed from government school district after district? Aren't they getting tested and evaluated?

Home school all you want. I just think there should be provisions to assure the children are actually receiving an education.
When you can show that more homeschooled kids are not getting a good education than their government school counterparts, we can talk.

What about the poor, uneducated children being spewed from government school district after district? Aren't they getting tested and evaluated?
Public schools have much they can improve, but at least the shortcomings are noted, and in most cases some effort is being made to improve. You'll never see me claim public schools are up to the standards they should be, but they are at least being evaluated.

When you can show that more homeschooled kids are not getting a good education than their government school counterparts, we can talk.
Without any required evaluation, that is a silly comparison.

Without any required evaluation, that is a silly comparison.
You're then arguing from emotion, not fact. The fact is, evaluation is readily available for homeschooling parents to use, and when you are committed enough to homeschool, you're going to want to make sure you're doing it right.

Last edited:
Public schools have much they can improve, but at least the shortcomings are noted, and in most cases some effort is being made to improve. You'll never see me claim public schools are up to the standards they should be, but they are at least being evaluated.
I am not seeing much effort to make things improve in the worst government schools, other than throwing more money at them, which seems to evaporate. Scores are not increasing, drug dealing, bullying, and gang activity are not decreasing, and the state of the infrastructure doesn't seem to be improving very much. Maybe it's because most of those schools serve poor black kids and we just don't care about them very much. Homeschooling requires commitment, which is one reason why it generally produces a higher quality of student.

You're then arguing from emotion, not fact. The fact is, evaluation is readily available for homeschooling parents to use, and when you are committed enough to homeschool, you're going to want to make sure you're doing it right.
And when you are not committed, there is no evaluation to show that. Just because a parent takes their child out of school dosn't mean they are capable, or will even try to supply an adequate education.

Forum List

Back