visibilium omnium, et invisibilium
et in unum Dominum Iesum, Christum,
Filium Dei unigenitum
et ex Patre natum ante omnia saecula.
Deum de Deo,
lumen de lumine,
Deum vero de Deo vero.
Genitum, non factum,
consubstantialem Patri per quem omnia facta sunt.
Qui propter nos homines et propter nostram salutem
descendit de caelis.
et incarnatus est de Spiritu Sancto ex Maria virgine
et homo factus est .
Crucifixus etiam pro nobis,
sub Pontio Pilato passus et sepultus est.
Resurrexit tertia die,
secundum Scripturas
et ascendit in caelum:
sedet ad dexteram Patris
et iterum venturus est cum gloria
iudicare vivos et mortuos
cuius regni non erit finis
et in Spiritum Sanctum, Dominum et vivificantem,
qui ex Patre, Filioque procedit.
Qui cum Patre, et Filio
simul adoratur et conglorificatur:
qui locutus est per prohetas.
Et unam, sanctam, catholicam, et apostolicam Ecclesiam.
Confiteor unum baptisma in remissionem peccatorum
et expecto resurrectionem mortuorum
et vitam venturi saeculi. Amen.
That's easy for you to say.

Now:

my religion is​

• Catholic Christian​

Votes: 3
  • 15.8%
  • Protestant Christian​

Votes: 3
  • 15.8%
  • Eastern Orthodox Christian​

Votes: 00.0%
  • other Christian​

Votes: 4
  • 21.1%
  • Jewish​

Votes: 1
  • 5.3%
  • Islamic​

• Buddhist​

• Hindu​

• another religion​

• no religion​

Votes: 9
  • 47.4%

• Total voters 19

are you a sedevacantist priest?

those are normally the only ones who know Latin

or maybe you are just re-posting?
Are you of the mistaken belief that the use of Latin has become illegal in the Catholic Church?
And I think every priest should know the Credo in Latin.

That's easy for you to say.
Annuit Coeptis. Novus Ordo Seclorum. E Pluribus Unum.

Typical of the empty mind-desert that passes for "education," my Latin teachers never bothered to reference the Latin right on the dollar bill, or anything else that would appear in the outside world.

I'll never forget my Algebra teacher throwing a fit when a student asked, "What is the practical value of this?" meaning within Algebra, but the normal meaning of "practical value" is an obscenity to teachers and professors.

Annuit Coeptis. Novus Ordo Seclorum. E Pluribus Unum.

Typical of the empty mind-desert that passes for "education," my Latin teachers never bothered to reference the Latin right on the dollar bill, or anything else that would appear in the outside world.

I'll never forget my Algebra teacher throwing a fit when a student asked, "What is the practical value of this?" meaning within Algebra, but the normal meaning of "practical value" is an obscenity to teachers and professors.
My algebra teacher said, "If you use nothing else you will use ratio's." He was right.

I'll never forget my Algebra teacher throwing a fit when a student asked, "What is the practical value of this?"
Perhaps a young teacher? I am a substitute teacher and it is usually the first question thrown at me in any math class. The students are serious (and also trying to divert me from math ;) ) I ask them the value of PE, and the answer I am always given is that it strengthens the body. So while it would be the rare student who becomes a professional athlete, they all see the value of a fit body.

I tell them that math does the same thing for the brain--it exercises the left temporal lobe, making it fit even for those who do not become mathematicians. I suggest we do the lesson and then spend any remaining time doodling to give the right side of our brains some exercise as well. Since students aren't threatened with me sending them down the road to a career in mathematics, they are willing to at least listen to the lesson and try some problems.

I wish more parents would explain this to their kids. Most tell me, "My parents say they never used math after they got out of school."

Perhaps a young teacher? I am a substitute teacher and it is usually the first question thrown at me in any math class. The students are serious (and also trying to divert me from math ;) ) I ask them the value of PE, and the answer I am always given is that it strengthens the body. So while it would be the rare student who becomes a professional athlete, they all see the value of a fit body.

I tell them that math does the same thing for the brain--it exercises the left temporal lobe, making it fit even for those who do not become mathematicians. I suggest we do the lesson and then spend any remaining time doodling to give the right side of our brains some exercise as well. Since students aren't threatened with me sending them down the road to a career in mathematics, they are willing to at least listen to the lesson and try some problems.

I wish more parents would explain this to their kids. Most tell me, "My parents say they never used math after they got out of school."
Abandoned Abstractions

It is a mental exercise, but people refuse to use such organized thinking outside of school, so it's failed even there. For example, they won't change "both sides of the equation" in thinking that a political change will have the same consequences as the present policy. And using "they" with a singular antecedent violates basic mathematical thinking.

Teachers must try to find relevance in real life, like how mathematicians arrive at the odds in card games or the lottery. Also the Earned Run Average in baseball. That illustrates how things can be defined. Nine innings counts as one game, no matter how many games it takes a pitcher to accumulate nine innings.

Teachers' contempt for practical value is such that they do not lower themselves to talk about its similarity to a workout for the body.

Last edited:
Teachers must try to find relevance in real life, like how mathematicians arrive at the odds in card games or the lottery. Also the Earned Run Average in baseball. That illustrates how things can be defined. Nine innings counts as one game, no matter how many games it takes a pitcher to accumulate nine innings.
Actually, all that is in most math books. Plus more. Are you thinking these students are mightily impressed by them? No. To them, they are just another math problem. Remember, we're not talking about every student. We're talking about students who could not care less about how other people calculate lotteries, card games, or earned run averages. It is just not something they have any interest in doing. I tell them they will be amazed at how so much of what they learn will come in handy in unexpected ways. I got one student's attention who may well turn out to be a pro athlete by telling him after his pro career he could make a great math teacher.

You can disagree with me all you want, but as someone hands on encouraging students to do math, I know what succeeds with those most unhappy--because when I see them again, they tell me so. All they needed was how math benefits them personally--even though their greater interests lie in very different fields.

Are you of the mistaken belief that the use of Latin has become illegal in the Catholic Church?
And I think every priest should know the Credo in Latin.

funny how latins demise escapes you ... is there a reason the pulpit would not speak the known language of the congregation as well the literature.

College Graduates Are Real Touchy When the Fraud of That Kind of Education Is Exposed

Second, if you know "ratio's" is not the plural, why didn't you edit it to "ratios"?
I guess I just missed the spellchecker on that one. I do a lot of it's instead of its as well. So shoot me. :biggrin:
College Graduates Are Real Touchy When the Fraud of That Kind of Education Is Exposed

First all, quit pretending you can't figure out what Netricksters means.
I searched the term, didn't find anything.

I'm not a college grad. Do I get a pass?

I'm agnostic. I respect religious people, but I am not religious.

People use math, usually arithmetic, all the time. They just don't give it much thought.

The problem with education is, as you pointed out, the tenuous connection between academics and real life. Perhaps this could be explained better to the students.

New Topics

Forum List

Back