A really good argument for gun control...

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
This came from a friend. I haven't verified the numbers, but I have no reason to doubt they're within acceptable approximations of their actual values.

It speaks for itself.

A Tale of Two Cities

Perspective is everything

Stats can mean different things to different people....

A Tale of Two Cities
Chicago, IL
Houston, TX

Population
2.7 million
2.15 million

Median HH Income
$38,600
$37,000

% African-American
38.9%
24%

% Hispanic
29.9%
44%

% Asian
5.5%
6%

% Non-Hispanic White
28.7%
26%

Pretty similar until you compare the following:

Chicago, IL
Houston, TX

Concealed Carrygun law
no
yes

# of Gun Stores
184 - Dedicated gun stores plus 1500 - legal places to buy guns- Walmart, K-mart, sporting goods, etc.

Homicides, 2012

Homicides per 100K

Avg. January high temperature (F)

Democrat Conclusion:
Cold weather from global warming causes murder.

This came from a friend. I haven't verified the numbers, but I have no reason to doubt they're within acceptable approximations of their actual values.

It speaks for itself.

A Tale of Two Cities

Perspective is everything

Stats can mean different things to different people....

A Tale of Two Cities
Chicago, IL
Houston, TX

Population
2.7 million
2.15 million

Median HH Income
$38,600
$37,000

% African-American
38.9%
24%

% Hispanic
29.9%
44%

% Asian
5.5%
6%

% Non-Hispanic White
28.7%
26%

Pretty similar until you compare the following:

Chicago, IL
Houston, TX

Concealed Carrygun law
no
yes

# of Gun Stores
184 - Dedicated gun stores plus 1500 - legal places to buy guns- Walmart, K-mart, sporting goods, etc.

Homicides, 2012

Homicides per 100K

Avg. January high temperature (F)

Democrat Conclusion:
Cold weather from global warming causes murder.

Absolutely brilliant!!!!!!

"A Tale of Two Cities". Interesting approach. Reminds me of one of my own posts. As I recall it went something like this...

I give you two cities, split by a river, kinda like Minneapolis and St. Paul are but this is a different pair of cities.

Obviously being next to each other, these cities have much in common regionally, climatically, industrially and so on. They are less than a mile apart, connected by a bridge and a tunnel. But the two cities show a stark difference in one area.

The city to the west recorded 377 total homicides in 2011 and 327 in 2010, according to police statistics(1), carrying a homicide rate of around 50 per 100,000 people
Across the bridge in the same time period, there was a total of one. For both years put together. A rate of 0.30. From September 27, 2009 to November 22, 2011 in that city, there were no murders at all. Zero.

What's going on here?

One of them is in Canada. The cities are Detroit and Windsor.

I haven't determined how many of those homicides were committed by firearm, but for a guide, out of 386 Detroit homicides in 2012, 333 were by firearm. Over 86%. (1)

And the one murder that finally broke the 2011 streak in Windsor? It was a stabbing.

People in his city of about 215,000 have a saying, Blaine said Friday afternoon: "In Windsor, when a 7-Eleven is held up, it usually is a knife. In Detroit, it is an Uzi."
It's not that there's no crime in Windsor, an industrial city that has seen its own economic challenges. "We're no different than any other major metropolitan area," Corey said. (here)

704 to 1 in homicide; several hundred to zero in gun deaths.
Detroit: at or near the highest murder rate in its country; Windsor: lowest in its country.
Less than a mile apart.

What's driving the difference? Gun control? Or gun culture?

Resources/further reading:
(1) 2012 Crime/Homicide Stats

(2) Freep.com 1/3/13

A Tale of Two Cities

Murder-Free Two Years

The fault lies not in our guns but in ourselves. To our values we are underlings.

Forum List

Back