A question for the Navy guys

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
What do you guys do sitting around a sub? Just waiting and waiting?

Does it get boring?

Do you guys get to drink a Coke or just water?

What's your day like?

Just curious.

You know what they say about submariners? 140 men get on the boat. The boat leaves port for a seven month patrol. The boat returns to port. 70 couples get off the boat.

I was a carrier sailor, not a bubblehead, but out at sea, you just settle down to a dull routine. We worked 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, punctuated by GQ drills, and watches to break the monotony. I had it pretty easy compared to the flight deck crews, who often worked 20 hours a day. Off hours, we would work out, play cards, write letters, etc. I imagine bubblehead life is even more monotonous, not even being able to out and sunbathe or even be able to tell night from day. Of course, my experience was from 40 years ago. Things may have changed since then.

You stand watch 6 hours, sleep for 6 hours and work on your equipment or qualifications for various watch stations for 6 hours, thus you operate on an 18 hour day. Yes, it can be dull, but working keeps you busy.

I just found out today that my nephew's wife has been selected for submarine duty.

Forum List

Back