A question for liberals: How many times should the police have to say “Drop the gun!” before it’s OK for them to shoot an armed suspect?

Its an impossible question to answer. It entirely depends on the situation. Many times the person has some mental issues and wants to get shot. There is no reason to shoot that person.

Someone able to deal with situations like this can end it without anyone getting killed.
So what does an officer do? Ask the guy with a gun if he has mental issues? Who with mental issues holding a gun will say yes?

You make it sound so easy. Should I have asked that man who was carryinging an automatic firearm in the sand pit if he had mental issues?

If I did, my wife would be a widow.

You guys make it sound so easy....you try it one time. Go ahead. Grow some balls and risk your life as you help those who want to take your life. Go ahead. I dare you.

An expert was called in and no one was killed.

UPDATE: Suspect who was at the center of a swat standoff in Vienna appears in court.
an expert called? Cool. Lets wait for the expert to come.
Are you aware of how many firearm standoffs results in shots fired within the first minute?
Should police simply say "let him brandish that firearm with people being held hostage...and let the shrink finish his dinner and get here before we do anything.
It is quite obvious you have never wondered whether or not you will survive a confrontation with someone with a firearm.
I get it.
I hope you never have to.
But just think about it. What would you do?

As I noted, it depends on the situation. Your argument is to fire away.

And I bet you consider yourself pro-life.
Ahhh....depends on the situation.
So, in other words, you have never been in a position where someone you dont know is holding a firearm within range of your body. Question. Have you ever fired a weapon? Have you ever skeet shot?
You are aware that in a matter of 2 seconds when skeet shooting, your weapon goes from aiming one way to aiming ahead of the target. Now think about it. The perp is not aiming at you, but he can within a second...and that one second you hesitate, it could mean your life.
Just think about it.

As for the pro life comment.

Yes, I dont believe abortion is the right thing to do.

Why?

Becuase the unborn did nothing wrong. They have no say in their actions and no say in whether they should live or die.

Someone brandishing a gun, whether with mental health issues or not, know that what they are doing is wrong.

To compare the two is insensitive and, in my eyes, immature

I posted an example of those in the situation and what they did.
yet, for some reason you didnt post anything about those that did the same thing and lost their lives.

Seeing as you did not answer, I assume you have never been a position to protect yourself from someone with a firearm.

When it happens you have two choices......refrain or act.

Both of those choices have consequences.

But more often than not, the one having to make that choice did not choose to be in the position of making that choice.

Why not speak with those who find themselves in that position and maybe you can understand the fear, anxiety and split second decision making that must be done. It is easy to criticize when looking at the aftermath.

Maybe th JJest should not have played a prevent defense?

Maybe that pitcher should have thrown a changeup?

And those are not life determining decisions.

Just think about it.

I posted an example of what I was saying. You are free to believe it never happened if you wish.
I never said that.
All I am saying is each situation is different.

The fact that you chose to demonstrate one side of it as opposed to all sides of it speaks volumes.

Enough said.

I'm the one who said each situation is different so one can not answer based upon the question.

and just an FYI....someone mentally ill brandishing a gun is more dangerous than someone who is not mentally ill and is well aware of the consequences of using that gun.
Just consider that.

This video from Phoenix shows police shooting and killing an armed suspect named Ekom Udofia.

Prior to shooting him, the police repeatedly shout “Drop the gun” over and over and over and over and over.

The suspect refuses to drop the gun.

Then the police shoot and kill him.

So, this is my question for liberals: How many times should the police have to say “Drop the gun!” before it’s OK for them to shoot an armed suspect?

Here’s the video. Skip to 2:28

They can say it all they want. If they are going to shoot somebody it should only be because that person was using the gun or aggressively threatening the lives of the officers or other citizens. Not listening to a police officer is not enough to warrant a death sentence

Its an impossible question to answer. It entirely depends on the situation. Many times the person has some mental issues and wants to get shot. There is no reason to shoot that person.

Someone able to deal with situations like this can end it without anyone getting killed.
So what does an officer do? Ask the guy with a gun if he has mental issues? Who with mental issues holding a gun will say yes?

You make it sound so easy. Should I have asked that man who was carryinging an automatic firearm in the sand pit if he had mental issues?

You guys make it sound so easy....you try it one time. Go ahead. Grow some balls and risk your life as you help those who want to take your life. Go ahead. I dare you.

UPDATE: Suspect who was at the center of a swat standoff in Vienna appears in court.

That is good news, however the situation occurred in a PUBLIC building where they follow rules to deescalate the situation.

"A crisis negotiator from the Parkersburg Police Department was able to make contact with Clark. He made statements to the negotiator about using a gun to provoke a response from law enforcement. Clark agreed to leave the Vienna Volunteer Fire Department peacefully right before 8:00 p.m. Clark was then taken into custody without any further problems."

bolding mine

He is in an EMPTY building (people ran away after threats) thus a containable situation. Police surrounds the building......

The one who died was outdoor in the street who had been repeatedly making threats to people driving by, the same man still in the street, who repeatedly defies the police, fights off Pellet guns and points the gun at someone.

Totally different situation that requires a fast response to someone continually defying and being an open threat.

Again, that was my point. One can not answering the question without knowing the exact situation.

Are you aware of how many firearm standoffs results in shots fired within the first minute?
Should police simply say "let him brandish that firearm with people being held hostage...and let the shrink finish his dinner and get here before we do anything.
It is quite obvious you have never wondered whether or not you will survive a confrontation with someone with a firearm.
I get it.

So, in other words, you have never been in a position where someone you dont know is holding a firearm within range of your body. Question. Have you ever fired a weapon? Have you ever skeet shot?
You are aware that in a matter of 2 seconds when skeet shooting, your weapon goes from aiming one way to aiming ahead of the target. Now think about it. The perp is not aiming at you, but he can within a second...and that one second you hesitate, it could mean your life.
Just think about it.

Why?

Becuase the unborn did nothing wrong. They have no say in their actions and no say in whether they should live or die.

Someone brandishing a gun, whether with mental health issues or not, know that what they are doing is wrong.

yet, for some reason you didnt post anything about those that did the same thing and lost their lives.

Seeing as you did not answer, I assume you have never been a position to protect yourself from someone with a firearm.

But more often than not, the one having to make that choice did not choose to be in the position of making that choice.

Why not speak with those who find themselves in that position and maybe you can understand the fear, anxiety and split second decision making that must be done. It is easy to criticize when looking at the aftermath.

Just think about it.

I posted an example of what I was saying. You are free to believe it never happened if you wish.
I never said that.

The fact that you chose to demonstrate one side of it as opposed to all sides of it speaks volumes.

Enough said.

I'm the one who said each situation is different so one can not answer based upon the question.
Actually, each situation is deemed different AFTER the fact. Thats easy.

Someone brandishing a gun on monday at 12 noon is no different than someone brandishing a gun on Tuesday at 12 noon....to those who need to deal with it.

What makes them different are the aftermath findings.

On monday, it is a guy mentally unstable. On tuesday, it is a guy who hates police.

To the police? They are both people posing a danger to all around.

The more accurate question to ask right wing retards is, "How many unarmed black people do you want the police to kill?" Because people aren't always holding guns on police when police shoot people. But police will write that in their report or make that claim to cover themselves.

Here are 8 white people who pointed guns at police officers — and didn’t get killed – Raw Story
Most people are intelligent enough (which leaves you out) to realize that if a criminal attacks a cop or someone else that they likely need to be shot whether they have a gun or not. It's not about whose the biggest or strongest----

Yes we get it, blacks on average have higher levels of testerone (both male and female) and are on average also taller, heavier, and stronger and faster at running than other races---so they get shot when they attack so they get shot whether armed or not armed in the interest of everyone WHO ISN'T criminals safety.

This video from Phoenix shows police shooting and killing an armed suspect named Ekom Udofia.

Prior to shooting him, the police repeatedly shout “Drop the gun” over and over and over and over and over.

The suspect refuses to drop the gun.

Then the police shoot and kill him.

So, this is my question for liberals: How many times should the police have to say “Drop the gun!” before it’s OK for them to shoot an armed suspect?

Here’s the video. Skip to 2:28

They can say it all they want. If they are going to shoot somebody it should only be because that person was using the gun or aggressively threatening the lives of the officers or other citizens. Not listening to a police officer is not enough to warrant a death sentence

That is where you are wrong---see intelligent law abidding people ASSUME that they will get shot if they attack cop and don't obey police officers LAWFUL orders-----

This is necessary in order to keep law and order otherwise law breaks down and criminals just ignore cops creating more crime and more victims. So ergo criminal blood is worth less than Innocent blood. Sorry this the way that it has to be to live in a civilized society and not some 3rd world shithole.

it takes less than a second to redirect aim.

I know someone that can go from pointing a gun down to the ground to taking out a moving skeet in 2 seconds.

And thats a legal gun owner that refuses to hunt (as I refuse to do) and only enjoys skeet shooting.

Now....what if he decided to go to the dark side?

I sure as hell wouldnt want to be the officer that needs to decide "is he is or is he isnt that guy?"

A decade back or so I became involved in SASS/CAS

Single Action Shooting, Cowboy Action Shooting. Part of this involves quick draw. I can clear and accurately fire a .45 long Colt revolver in a fraction of a second.

Events I attend often involve thousands of people who all have developed this skill.

Even a holstered revolver with hands away from it can be out and fired in the blink of an eye.

I get it.

Cant say as I've ever heard of a newborn shooting someone.

The more accurate question to ask right wing retards is, "How many unarmed black people do you want the police to kill?" Because people aren't always holding guns on police when police shoot people. But police will write that in their report or make that claim to cover themselves.

Here are 8 white people who pointed guns at police officers — and didn’t get killed – Raw Story
Most people are intelligent enough (which leaves you out) to realize that if a criminal attacks a cop or someone else that they likely need to be shot whether they have a gun or not. It's not about whose the biggest or strongest----

Yes we get it, blacks on average have higher levels of testerone (both male and female) and are on average also taller, heavier, and stronger and faster at running than other races---so they get shot when they attack so they get shot whether armed or not armed in the interest of everyone WHO ISN'T criminals safety.
all I know is I have many friends of all races and none have ever been shot...or even threated by police.

Why?
They don't put themselves in that position.

Heck, I dont even know anyone who has had a gun pulled on them (other than in the sand pit).

Why?

Because they never put themselves in that position.

I got pulled over y a state trooper.

Why?

I was speeding. Put my keys on the roof of my car and hung both hands out my window. He actually thanked me for relieving him of the anxiety of what to expect. Gave me the ticket anyway, and I paid it.

Why?

I did wrong.

Why is it so hard to understand. You make your choices. Deal with the consequences.

I get it.

Just think about it.

Why?

Just think about it.

I never said that.

Enough said.

Someone brandishing a gun on monday at 12 noon is no different than someone brandishing a gun on Tuesday at 12 noon....to those who need to deal with it.

On monday, it is a guy mentally unstable. On tuesday, it is a guy who hates police.

There was a link posted earlier where white men refused to put their guns down and didn't get killed.

Why not?

I get it.

Blueberries.

I get it.

Just think about it.

Why?

Just think about it.

I never said that.

Enough said.

There was a link posted earlier where white men refused to put their guns down and didn't get killed.

Why not?
and I am sure there have been plenty of Black Men who refused to put there guns down and didn't get shot. Likewise I am sure there are plenty of white men that didn't put their guns down and DID get shot.

It all depends on what is happening around them. Are there innocent civilians in the area? Is it an empty warehouse? Are they known with a record of shooting people? Are they sayi9ng things like "you wont take me alive and I will take some of you with me"?

You really don't understand what can happen out there.

I get it.

Blueberries.

Whose Berry and why'd you blow him?

In feelings fantasy libbie loon land a police person cannot shoot a black or brown suspect until the police person has been fired upon first but really until taking a bullet themself and even then it’s suspect

That is good news, however the situation occurred in a PUBLIC building where they follow rules to deescalate the situation.

"A crisis negotiator from the Parkersburg Police Department was able to make contact with Clark. He made statements to the negotiator about using a gun to provoke a response from law enforcement. Clark agreed to leave the Vienna Volunteer Fire Department peacefully right before 8:00 p.m. Clark was then taken into custody without any further problems."

bolding mine

He is in an EMPTY building (people ran away after threats) thus a containable situation. Police surrounds the building......

The one who died was outdoor in the street who had been repeatedly making threats to people driving by, the same man still in the street, who repeatedly defies the police, fights off Pellet guns and points the gun at someone.

Totally different situation that requires a fast response to someone continually defying and being an open threat.

Again, that was my point. One can not answering the question without knowing the exact situation.

You implied they should have tried a different approach that would prevent the shooting death.

This is your entire post I replied to:

The Police do know what he was doing before they arrived, that is why they asked him to drop the gun repeatedly on their arrival, since the man was already a threat that never went away.

I get it.

Just think about it.

Why?

Just think about it.

I never said that.

Enough said.

Why not?
If you know cops supposedly have an issue with shooting people who refuse to put their hands down, why the hell would you hold onto a weapon when a cop is around unless you want to be shot or are so stupid that you should be removed from the genepool?

Clearly example why we need to get rid of or greatly change the police.
The police most certainly should not have killed him, and he was essentially no danger at all.
It clearly was a BB-gun, and was not threatening in any way.
Not did they have to aim at the chest.
They could have fired warning shots, aimed for a leg, or a variety of other less than lethal choices.
It is not like he was running at them.
They could even have retreated.
A normal average person would not have deliberately killed him.
And the multiple chest shots was deliberate murder.
Right, just like on tv, shoot the BB gun out of his hand. More libber Monday morning quarterbacking about things which, as usual, you have no idea about.

Wrong.
The police had lots of options, like fire a warning shot, shoot once instead of 4 times, not to aim at the chest, retreating, etc.
We all know all anyone needs to know about what is lethal and what is not.
Your claim police are some sort of experts we can't second guess, is ridiculous.
There is nothing remotely complicated about the fact they unloaded on this one person needlessly.
Any child can see that.

Clearly example why we need to get rid of or greatly change the police.
The police most certainly should not have killed him, and he was essentially no danger at all.
It clearly was a BB-gun, and was not threatening in any way.
Not did they have to aim at the chest.
They could have fired warning shots, aimed for a leg, or a variety of other less than lethal choices.
It is not like he was running at them.
They could even have retreated.
A normal average person would not have deliberately killed him.
And the multiple chest shots was deliberate murder.
Right, just like on tv, shoot the BB gun out of his hand. More libber Monday morning quarterbacking about things which, as usual, you have no idea about.

Wrong.
The police had lots of options, like fire a warning shot, shoot once instead of 4 times, not to aim at the chest, retreating, etc.
We all know all anyone needs to know about what is lethal and what is not.
Your claim police are some sort of experts we can't second guess, is ridiculous.
There is nothing remotely complicated about the fact they unloaded on this one person needlessly.
Any child can see that.
Any child knows that they have no idea how the police are trained, too bad liberal wackos don't understand that. You uber elitists are only legends in your own brainless skulls, nowhere else. that's why nobody pays attention to you.

He POINTED the gun at the police several times, the video even highlighted one specifically.
When? Before he was shot?

Communists have this sick belief - the duty to die.

If a black man points a gun at a cop - or any victim for that matter - democrats demand that the cop has a duty to die. That defending their life is forbidden.

The Communists may or may not punish the black man for killing the cop or other victim, but under no circumstance may the police defend their life - they are required to die or they will be treated as criminals.

That is a lie.
No one suggested that police have to not defend themselves.
But legally the police have the exact same requirement to retreat if possible that all people do.
In fact there were dozens of options that were all preferable to unloading on the guy with shots aimed at the chest.

Forum List

Back