A Question About 'State Quarters'...

I do metal detecting on the school playground, collecting lost lunch money an stuff. I give the stuff to the school office.

My dad recently gave me the metal detector he's had for years. It's an old White's. Heavy on the 'old'. I just dug it out a couple weeks ago and was going to try and get it going. I found a couple of the knobs on it were frozen and wouldn't turn. Bummer. I've used it in years past and it worked good. Now I'm thinking of buying a new one.

What kind do you have Mr. P.? Maybe you could recommend a good one, the most bang for the buck.

Then I read another article about collectibles and discovered a couple of things. First, anything issued as a collectable is never going to be worth much. The fact that too many people will collect and save them means there will always be too many on the market to be worth much more than what you paid for it. The other thing I read was the condition of something is VERY important to it's value. To get top dollar it has to be in it's original packaging, and it has to be in perfect condition. Otherwise, don't buy it.

That's what I'm thinking also. I see so many state quarters in change, I don't think they'll ever be worth any more than any other quarter.

Aside from the ones that I put in my folder, and the Kansas quarters I keep, I spend all the other ones I see just like any other quarter.

My dad recently gave me the metal detector he's had for years. It's an old White's. Heavy on the 'old'. I just dug it out a couple weeks ago and was going to try and get it going. I found a couple of the knobs on it were frozen and wouldn't turn. Bummer. I've used it in years past and it worked good. Now I'm thinking of buying a new one.

What kind do you have Mr. P.? Maybe you could recommend a good one, the most bang for the buck.

Mine is a low end just <$100 Bountyhunter. Pretty basic nothing fancy really, but it works for me. With audible tones that vary for each type metal, I can tell tin cans from steel, dimes from nickels. You can even come close to determining size of the object also. Takes a bit of practice but it’s not hard. The hard part is digging it up!

I don’t know enough to recommend one, Pale. But there are tons of sites on the net to search an read. I would say consider, how much will you use it and what are you looking for? Some penetrate deeper than others and some are made for gold detection, then some are a combo.

Mine is a low end just <$100 Bountyhunter. Pretty basic nothing fancy really, but it works for me. With audible tones that vary for each type metal, I can tell tin cans from steel, dimes from nickels. You can even come close to determining size of the object also. Takes a bit of practice but it’s not hard. The hard part is digging it up!

I don’t know enough to recommend one, Pale. But there are tons of sites on the net to search an read. I would say consider, how much will you use it and what are you looking for? Some penetrate deeper than others and some are made for gold detection, then some are a combo.

A Bounty Hunter. I've heard those are pretty good.

Guess I'll start doing some research. I do want one. I live right in the middle of some of the best territory for finding gold in the world. I'd like to try one out for doing just that.

A Bounty Hunter. I've heard those are pretty good.

Guess I'll start doing some research. I do want one. I live right in the middle of some of the best territory for finding gold in the world. I'd like to try one out for doing just that.

It's really an interesting hobby. Lots of thing to look for and lots places to look..
Down side is lots of rules on what and where you can dig. Be sure to check that stuff out.

It's really an interesting hobby. Lots of thing to look for and lots places to look..
Down side is lots of rules on what and where you can dig. Be sure to check that stuff out.

They sell those Bountry Hunters at Wal Mart, and I just went up there to get some things. Saw three different models. Stater, intermediate, and advanced user. The intermediate looked like the best buy.

I checked ebay too. Looks like a Minelab is about the most expensive. Some are four or five grand. Don't need that.

They sell those Bountry Hunters at Wal Mart, and I just went up there to get some things. Saw three different models. Stater, intermediate, and advanced user. The intermediate looked like the best buy.

I checked ebay too. Looks like a Minelab is about the most expensive. Some are four or five grand. Don't need that.

You may pck-up some info and tips here....
http://metaldetectingforum.com/

Forum List

Back