A possible argument against the Cancel Culture.

What are they cancelling except racist and other bigoted speech?
Really? What an ignorant statement.

Racist and bigoted speech is subjective.

It was a question. See the question mark?
So you were serious? You don't watch the news? You didn't hear about Gina Carano or Chris Harrison?
No.
How is that remotely possible?

Most of the canceled are not for racist or bigoted remarks. That is the rub.
So what are they cancelling, then?
Virtually anything that may be taken the wrong way if you try really, really hard to misinterpret it.

But you knew that already.

Or something you said when you were a moronic 21 year old a decade ago. Moronic things we all have said.

For the most part, cancel culture picks a target then FINDS something to cancel them over.
I don't agree with cancel culture as a general rule, so all you folks are really preaching to the choir here. But I think the news you're reading about it is slanted to make it sound a lot more unfair than it actually is. A lot of it is the same sort of sour grapes we hear here when a poster's thread gets poofed. And usually we're hearing less than half the story.

But yeah, i've seen uproars over stuff that honestly made me scratch my head.

I was curious what else is getting cancelled other than bigotry. You say the whole conservative party. CPAC did quite well, though, didn't it? Fox is still swinging away, Newsmax, Breitbart, OAN, talk radio...so I wonder if all that is true. I saw a whole raft of crap in the past month from MTG, Boebert, Cruz, and Trump every time he writes a letter or does an interview on the MSM. So is it really being cancelled?
Yes, your damn right it is. Sure they are doing well but WHY?

Same reason that Carano is still employed and doing well, conservatives are setting up their own echo chambers and expanding them as the major centers try and paint half the nation as evil. This move has destroyed lives.

You really think OAN and the Daily Kos are answers to this mess? really? As one side chases the other outside of the cultural centers they are going to build their own. The worse it gets the more impossible it is going to be to reunite them in general and BOTH sides will crumble when they cannot bear to listen to new or challenging ideas. This is the core of what is corrupting the political process.

Cancel culture is just one of those stones that catapulted Trump into office. Keep demonizing 150 million people and they are going to elect someone, anyone, that is willing to fight for them even in name only.

So you were serious? You don't watch the news? You didn't hear about Gina Carano or Chris Harrison?
No.
Okay, someone just told me about acarano, but who is Chris Harrison.
Virtually anything that may be taken the wrong way if you try really, really hard to misinterpret it.

Or something you said when you were a moronic 21 year old a decade ago. Moronic things we all have said.

For the most part, cancel culture picks a target then FINDS something to cancel them over.
I don't agree with cancel culture as a general rule, so all you folks are really preaching to the choir here. But I think the news you're reading about it is slanted to make it sound a lot more unfair than it actually is. A lot of it is the same sort of sour grapes we hear here when a poster's thread gets poofed. And usually we're hearing less than half the story.

I was curious what else is getting cancelled other than bigotry. You say the whole conservative party. CPAC did quite well, though, didn't it? Fox is still swinging away, Newsmax, Breitbart, OAN, talk radio...so I wonder if all that is true. I saw a whole raft of crap in the past month from MTG, Boebert, Cruz, and Trump every time he writes a letter or does an interview on the MSM. So is it really being cancelled?

Same reason that Carano is still employed and doing well, conservatives are setting up their own echo chambers and expanding them as the major centers try and paint half the nation as evil. This move has destroyed lives.

You really think OAN and the Daily Kos are answers to this mess? really? As one side chases the other outside of the cultural centers they are going to build their own. The worse it gets the more impossible it is going to be to reunite them in general and BOTH sides will crumble when they cannot bear to listen to new or challenging ideas. This is the core of what is corrupting the political process.

Cancel culture is just one of those stones that catapulted Trump into office. Keep demonizing 150 million people and they are going to elect someone, anyone, that is willing to fight for them even in name only.
I agree with you 100%

No.

I agree with you 100%
Chris Harrison is the former host of the show The Bachelor. He was cancelled because he asked
The Twitter mob to show “a little grace “ to a young lady who went to an Antebellum party in 2018.

No.

I agree with you 100%
Chris Harrison is the former host of the show The Bachelor. He was cancelled because he asked
The Twitter mob to show “a little grace “ to a young lady who went to an Antebellum party in 2018.
Why do I feel there's more to this story? But thank you for telling me who he is!

No! I looked up antebellum party and there was the whole thing in an article, with their apologies and all. The young lady and Harrison both were very sensitive in their replies, and it was good of them to apologize. It's true it's not our place to tell someone what can offend them, but losing his job over it? Sounds like that sorority had a rep for being racist, which doesn't exactly surprise me in Georgia, and that girl she supposedly bullied....but tbh, it seems like a tempest in a teapot, to me.

Last edited:
Ummm...they are canceling anything that they don't agree with, or doesn't go accordingly to their so-called "ideology". The most visible examples of cancel culture occur when a celebrity or public figure says or writes something or engages in an act that is deemed offensive and inappropriate by the public.

It works like this; when a large number of people on social media platforms collectively object to any action by a public figure, it leads to calls to ‘cancel’ the person. This cancelling occurs by pressuring the individual’s workplace to fire them, pressuring brands to drop their association with the offending individual, using threats of boycott or engaging in any other action that impacts the individual’s reputation or finances.

One of the characteristics of cancel culture is also the tendency to ‘pile on’, where social media users engage in mass behaviour by specifically targeting the individual who is being publicly called out. Last month during a speech that he made at Mt. Rushmore, US President Donald Trump appeared to call out “cancel culture”, perhaps because he himself has been a target so often, particularly since he first announced his presidential campaign. It is “the very definition of totalitarianism,” and “completely alien to our culture and our values” with “absolutely no place in the United States of America”, Trump had said.

Following Trump’s speech, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany doubled down on Trump’s stance saying: “President Trump stands against … cancel culture, which seeks to erase our history.”

Cancel culture is also about enforcing some degree of accountability on an individual, although there have been arguments whether it is justified or not, particularly from a legal perspective. An example of this would be discussions that followed when reports surfaced of public figures having engaged in inappropriate acts or acts of violence and abuse against women when the #MeToo movement gained traction in 2016.

Ummm...they are canceling anything that they don't agree with, or doesn't go accordingly to their so-called "ideology". The most visible examples of cancel culture occur when a celebrity or public figure says or writes something or engages in an act that is deemed offensive and inappropriate by the public.

It works like this; when a large number of people on social media platforms collectively object to any action by a public figure, it leads to calls to ‘cancel’ the person. This cancelling occurs by pressuring the individual’s workplace to fire them, pressuring brands to drop their association with the offending individual, using threats of boycott or engaging in any other action that impacts the individual’s reputation or finances.

One of the characteristics of cancel culture is also the tendency to ‘pile on’, where social media users engage in mass behaviour by specifically targeting the individual who is being publicly called out. Last month during a speech that he made at Mt. Rushmore, US President Donald Trump appeared to call out “cancel culture”, perhaps because he himself has been a target so often, particularly since he first announced his presidential campaign. It is “the very definition of totalitarianism,” and “completely alien to our culture and our values” with “absolutely no place in the United States of America”, Trump had said.

Following Trump’s speech, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany doubled down on Trump’s stance saying: “President Trump stands against … cancel culture, which seeks to erase our history.”

Cancel culture is also about enforcing some degree of accountability on an individual, although there have been arguments whether it is justified or not, particularly from a legal perspective. An example of this would be discussions that followed when reports surfaced of public figures having engaged in inappropriate acts or acts of violence and abuse against women when the #MeToo movement gained traction in 2016.
Pile ons are nothing but bullying, in my book.

No.

I agree with you 100%
Why do I feel there's more to this story? But thank you for telling me who he is!

No! I looked up antebellum party and there was the whole thing in an article, with their apologies and all. The young lady and Harrison both were very sensitive in their replies, and it was good of them to apologize. It's true it's not our place to tell someone what can offend them, but losing his job over it? Sounds like that sorority had a rep for being racist, which doesn't exactly surprise me in Georgia, and that girl she supposedly bullied....but tbh, it seems like a tempest in a teapot, to me.
It’s cancel culture. They dressed up as Scarlet O’Hara. Bad? Probably. Millions doing it in 2018. To attack a girl like that on Twitter and then fire a person for asking to show a little grace is frankly pathetic.

No.

I agree with you 100%

You should take seven minutes and watch this. Bill Maher is far from a conservative and hates Trump. Yet he said this:

No.

I agree with you 100%

It’s cancel culture. They dressed up as Scarlet O’Hara. Bad? Probably. Millions doing it in 2018. To attack a girl like that on Twitter and then fire a person for asking to show a little grace is frankly pathetic.
I am passed giving cancel culture a pass with pathetic.

It is purely evil.

No.

I agree with you 100%

You should take seven minutes and watch this. Bill Maher is far from a conservative and hates Trump. Yet he said this:

the 'fuck a stranger show' ROFLMAO. I disagree with much of what Maher says but he is intelligent and entertaining.

It is truly appalling how cancel culture manages to take people from truly depraved concepts like the bachelor and then cancel them over things that are just plain good manners. We do live in upside down world.

No.

I agree with you 100%

I am passed giving cancel culture a pass with pathetic.

It is purely evil.

Was/is it evil the many times tRump has supported it? Just asking?

MAGA
Depends on what you are even referring to. I rarely see anyone actually give cognizant examples of cancel culture on the right. The evil on the right is in a different form.

In essence, they're canceling the Bill of Rights under the US Constitution. Also, everybody is offended at something, even things that have nothing to do with racism and bigotry. The Conservative party/Republicans are simply pro-Constitution and all of the rights listed in it. Currently, the most racist elements are the......Democrats. They are continually screaming that "ALL whites are racist and oppressors" and that is total B.S.. Obama wouldn't have been elected, twice, if no whites voted for him. The underground railway in the 1800's, helping blacks escape slavery was operated by whites. We fought a massive war in which anti-slavery forces lost 360,000+ lives were lost to get them free.
My great-great grandfather on my mother's side fought with the 6th Wisconsin Infantry because he believed in the cause, was captured and spent the remainder of the war in the infamous Andersonville Prison...and managed to survive that hellhole. As for me, no...I repeat no job I have had has ever taken away from any minority....primarily because I served a career in the military.
So, if the Democrats are looking for true racists, go to the mirror and you will see one. Anti-white racists.

Cancel culture is not new.

Remember the Daniel Boone TV series?

No, of course you don't.

Because if you did there's be a howling ,mob of liberals on your driveway threatening to burn your house down unless you immediately entered a re-education camp.

Don't watch that show, But what is acceptable to wear to a costume party? no black face, no Indians no antebellum, no Nazi no KKK no hookers, no political figures, the devil, a witch. You d

IMHO, this is thread is a gas.
I find it hilarious.
I'm gonna 'CountryBuffet' it and pick some morsels that I wanna hold up to the candle-ing light. OK?

escalating polarisation of American Society will make Conservatives less tolerant of the Intolerant. Then we can Make America Tolerant Again.

Personally, I think the poster is zoomin' this gossipboard.
Or, he has his tongue-in-cheek so wrapped around his eye-tooth he can't see what he wrote.
But THAT sentence made me grin. A hat-tip!
.........................................................................................

The most visible examples of cancel culture occur when a celebrity or public figure says or writes something or engages in an act that is deemed offensive and inappropriate by the public.
Hmmm, then Fatty Arbuckle and Phil Spector don't get a 'cancel'?
Or do they?
...............................................................................................................................................
Was/is it evil the many times tRump has supported it?

AldoRaine does bring up a cogent point.
For example.,...... "She's bleeding from wherever". "Little Marco" "Horseface".....Fat pigs, slobs, dogs, disgusting Miss Piggy. And on and on.

Sh*t.....I can make this list go for pages, I think.

So, to conclude, if I understand 'cancel culture' correctly.....it sounds like my former president was pretty prolific with his own 'cancelling' stage-hook.

(ps.....don't forget --- "You're fired".

I love this bar!

Any opposition to the looney left wing agenda.
Any possibility you could give me a concrete example?

Here's a good example,

Any politician,CEO or prominent figure that would say something like " I don't want my kids growing up in a racial jungle" .
I think we all, both right and left, can agree this type of blatant racism has no place in America and should be canceled immediately. Agree Old Lady?

Forum List

Back