A nun's reflection on religious life

Compost

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2015
A nun discusses the habit (the garments some nuns wear) .

“The religious habit should say a number of things, both to the sister herself, and to those who see her,” she said, recounting how she is often approached by strangers asking for prayers, who automatically trust her on account of her appearance.

“The habit is a visible sign of the love of God,” she said. “But it’s also, I have found, a great responsibility and a reminder to me: the responsibility to be what I show that I am.”

“It’s a sign of the love of God and that this life is not all there is: that God exists and loves them,” she said.
One of the distinguishing aspects of their habit – a dark veil and a simple, pale blue frock in the summer, and a darker color for the winter – is a simple black cross, overlaid by a smaller white cross, which is worn around the neck.

“The black of the cross represents the misery of mankind that we find in the world, and the white represents God’s mercy, which we are called to bring into the world as Sisters of Mercy,” explained Sr. Mary Michaela, who works at the visitor's office.

“There is a long tradition in religious life of wearing a habit as a visible sign that we are consecrated to God and to the service of the Church in a special way,” she said. “It’s also part of poverty,” she added. “Our habit is simple, so we don’t buy a big wardrobe.”

full article here
Why I wear the habit – a nun's reflection on religious life

“The religious habit should say a number of things, both to the sister herself, and to those who see her,” she said, recounting how she is often approached by strangers asking for prayers, who automatically trust her on account of her appearance.

“The habit is a visible sign of the love of God,” she said. “But it’s also, I have found, a great responsibility and a reminder to me: the responsibility to be what I show that I am.”

“It’s a sign of the love of God and that this life is not all there is: that God exists and loves them,” she said.
One of the distinguishing aspects of their habit – a dark veil and a simple, pale blue frock in the summer, and a darker color for the winter – is a simple black cross, overlaid by a smaller white cross, which is worn around the neck.

“The black of the cross represents the misery of mankind that we find in the world, and the white represents God’s mercy, which we are called to bring into the world as Sisters of Mercy,” explained Sr. Mary Michaela, who works at the visitor's office.

“There is a long tradition in religious life of wearing a habit as a visible sign that we are consecrated to God and to the service of the Church in a special way,” she said. “It’s also part of poverty,” she added. “Our habit is simple, so we don’t buy a big wardrobe.”

full article here
Why do a lot of nuns now wear street cloths?

full article here
That is religious nonsense. The Authorized King James Holy Bible never forbid anyone to marry, wear a habit or eat meat on Friday. Your false church is spoken of in Scripture as the doctrine of devils. The bible makes no mention of "nuns" or "Popes" or "holy water" or any of that nonsense. It's all man made rules and dead rituals. Get out of there.

full article here
You obviously didn't read the article.

full article here
That is religious nonsense. The Authorized King James Holy Bible never forbid anyone to marry, wear a habit or eat meat on Friday. Your false church is spoken of in Scripture as the doctrine of devils. The bible makes no mention of "nuns" or "Popes" or "holy water" or any of that nonsense. It's all man made rules and dead rituals. Get out of there.
Thanks for yet another loving response to a fellow Christian's way of living out her faith!

full article here
yes I did, why do a lot of nuns wear street cloths now

full article here
Thanks for yet another loving response to a fellow Christian's way of living out her faith!

Here' to another year of bad habits!

:wine:

Bottoms up!

full article here
Good for you. The answer is in the article.

Last edited:

full article here
Good for you. The answer is in the article. If you still can't figure it out, try google.
I had a few friends in the old neighborhood that became nuns and priests and all left after a few years

Dress is determined by each Religious Order. Some orders favor modest, modern dress because it fits better with their particular mission. It is seen as being a part of the community not apart from the community. People differ. Some people feel more comfortable interacting with nuns who dress like anyone else. Some people are more comforted by nuns wearing traditional habits. That is why the decision on what to wear is made by each Order.

Some Nuns who grew up in the late 60's early 70's were really dissapointed to find out that their habit costumes didn't actually make them fly.
Thanks Sally Field, for creating so many bitter, disillusioned angry nuns and the many yard stick smashed Bloody Knuckles that followed that frustration.

For what it is worth, not a heck of a lot, I'm disappointed in most of the responses. So much for grown thinking! As for the KJV, do you think legalism much? Try to move forward as your Jesus did. Times changed, even in Jesus day, as a matter of fact He caused much change himself. It ain't the 1600's any longer.

The King James Version of the Bible has deliberate mistranslations, and therefore isn't really the Bible.

The King James Version of the Bible has deliberate mistranslations, and therefore isn't really the Bible.

Are their scholastic errors, probably. New takes on the Greek, Hebrew and other languages has certainly improved over the last 400 years. In terms of what we know of the intent of the message, I do not think so. However, trying to get into the minds of all involved over 2000 years ago is, I am certain, a huge effort. I believe the message of the principle, Jesus, is accurate. Sure caused an uproar which continues to this day. Thank you for the response. I wish you peace.

Forum List

Back